Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stooky Bill - 22-03-2023

They've said from the start that there will be the ability to split the two outlets for big news events. This afternoon's coverage is exactly the sort of thing that would be UK only - there's been enough notice of it happening to arrange seperate coverage.

A bit more difficult when it comes to breaking news of course

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 06:03 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 05:40 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  One question I haven’t been able to find an answer is how is the new channel being funded? Lots of people have mentioned how World News was making a profit but I’ve been unable to find anywhere the official answer where it’s been published saying how much the channel will cost to run and how much this is covered by the revenue brought in via BBC world News and how much if any comes from the license fee if any.
The new channel will be funded through a mix of global advertisting revenue and licence fee money. BBC World News' budget is around £90-100m and typically brings in around £10m in profit. 
If this afternoon is indicative of the coverage that World viewers will be getting, it'll be interesting to see how long much longer World is still able to make a £10m profit. I don't think anyone wants World to get back into the situation it was in in the early 2000s when it could barely break even, as that will then be the end of the BBC's linear TV news service.

The BBC couldn't have chosen a more difficult month to have a 100% joint operation with no option to separate.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - matthieu1221 - 22-03-2023

It's the least worst choice. Chances are, if someone is tuning into BBC World News they might be interested in live coverage, if not, they can switch channels. No other international news channel will likely cover it in live and in full.

Just as if I wanted Jan 6 committee coverage I'd switch to CNN in the hopes that they are showing it, and if I wanted live coverage of Monday's confidence vote in France I'd switch to France 24. If neither of the two were showing those two respective events, which are significant news stories of their respective countries, I'd be very disappointed.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 22-03-2023

BBC News Channel does not take the Six, stays with joint output anchored by Maryam Moshiri from Studio E.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 06:45 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  It's the least worst choice. Chances are, if someone is tuning into BBC World News they might be interested in live coverage, if not, they can switch channels. No other international news channel will likely cover it in live and in full.

Just as if I wanted Jan 6 committee coverage I'd switch to CNN in the hopes that they are showing it, and if I wanted live coverage of Monday's confidence vote in France I'd switch to France 24. If neither of the two were showing those two respective events, which are significant news stories of their respective countries, I'd be very disappointed.
The problem, though, is that if viewers regularly tune into the BBC and are confronted with coverage they are not interested in, then switching to another channel becomes a habit and, eventually, they just switch on the other channel to start with - not what you want if you are a commercial channel, especially when the margin is so fine (commercial income only has to dip by around 10% for the channel to go into the red).

Plus, as I've said before, BBC World News is not CNN or France 24 and its prior success comes from this. The Asia evening peak audience that this marathon coverage of an internationally inconsequential domestic story was broadcast to want a summary of the day's news from around the world - they didn't get that. That's not an audience well served. Plus, this story just isn't of the same magnitude of an investigation of a potential collapse of a government or an attempted coup in the most powerful country in the world.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - matthieu1221 - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 07:21 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 06:45 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  It's the least worst choice. Chances are, if someone is tuning into BBC World News they might be interested in live coverage, if not, they can switch channels. No other international news channel will likely cover it in live and in full.

The problem, though, is that if viewers regularly tune into the BBC and are confronted with coverage they are not interested in, then switching to another channel becomes a habit and, eventually, they just switch on the other channel to start with - not what you want if you are a commercial channel, especially when the margin is so fine (commercial income only has to dip by around 10% for the channel to go into the red).

Plus, as I've said before, BBC World News is not CNN or France 24 and its prior success comes from this. The Asia evening peak audience that this marathon coverage of an internationally inconsequential domestic story was broadcast to want a summary of the day's news from around the world - they didn't get that. That's not an audience well served. Plus, this story just isn't of the same magnitude of an investigation of a potential collapse of a government or an attempted coup in the most powerful country in the world.

I did point out it was the least worst choice. Presumably once April comes around they'll regain the ability to have separate outputs for this sort of event whereby World could dip and dip out for the most interesting parts.

LargelyALurker - LargelyALurker - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 07:03 PM)oscillon Wrote:  BBC News Channel does not take the Six, stays with joint output anchored by Maryam Moshiri from Studio E.

Which remains quite U.K.-centric. Doesn’t make much sense?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 22-03-2023

Have we seen any of the 5 main presenters make any more appearances, except for Maryam and Christian who are regulars in this interim period? I saw Lucy and Matthew once and of course Yalda hasn't made any appearances so far and I doubt she will.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Andrew - 22-03-2023

Does world news not take any ad breaks or any sponsorship in certain countries during these periods of marathon live coverage?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Brekkie - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 12:46 AM)oscillon Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 12:41 AM)thomalex Wrote:  So it turns out we are getting a new look come April
Yes, but apparently not THE new look we had rumours of, more of a Chameleon update to the existing 2008 one.
https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/17321/news/presentation-changes-coming-up-on-bbc-news/ 
Quote:Well, as we understand it, no significant visual changes are planned.

The familiar globe device has been recreated at higher quality. So expect it to be hanging about for a while yet.

We will see the phasing out of the red patch logo. The now familiar Chameleon-style branding will be introduced, with the BBC blocks at the top of the screen and the ‘NEWS’ brand positioned at the bottom.

Oh for god sake - 15 years on and it still survives. If ever there was a time to refresh the image of BBC News it is probably now - even if it's evolution rather than revolution. Keeping a look which should have arguably should have been ditched with the move to Broadcasting House in 2012 (given the frequency of prior rebrands) just highlights how neglected BBC News is nowadays.