Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 23-03-2023

(23-03-2023, 02:30 PM)ALV Wrote:  Seems like Washington will handle overnight bulletins until 0500 on April 3rd. Not so sure if it’ll still be produced by London’s gallery like WNA and Newsday or it’ll be produced natively like ABR…

My guess is that 2300-0200 will be from Singapore for Newsday, 0300-0500 will be from Washington for the generic bulletins.
I doubt 0300-0500 would be from Washington, as that would be 11pm to 1am EDT. By contrast the same time slot in Singapore would be 11am to 1pm SGT. Therefore I can't imagine Washington being used beyond midnight (UK time), as they'd be outside of normal daytime working hours.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 23-03-2023

(23-03-2023, 02:58 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(23-03-2023, 01:43 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Any ratings from India yet? Cool
It’s not the Indian Broadcasting Corporation so who cares!?
Advertisers, on which the channel is financially reliant.

(23-03-2023, 03:09 PM)Keith Wrote:  
(23-03-2023, 02:30 PM)ALV Wrote:  My guess is that 2300-0200 will be from Singapore for Newsday, 0300-0500 will be from Washington for the generic bulletins.
I doubt 0300-0500 would be from Washington, as that would be 11pm to 1am EDT. By contrast the same time slot in Singapore would be 11am to 1pm SGT. Therefore I can't imagine Washington being used beyond midnight (UK time), as they'd be outside of normal daytime working hours.
05:00 UKT is 00:00 in Washington for most of the year - a bit late, but this is pretty much what I expected when it was first announced. I doubt they'll move Singapore hours as Newsday has been fairly successful as a breakfast programme for Asia and moving it to non-Asia peak hours seems counter-intuitive.

By contast, the overnight (02:00-05:00 UKT) shift is wholly in evening and late peaks for some part of the US and parts of the shift are rebroadcast on PBS and serve as the equivalent of WNA for the West Coast. Plus, broadcasting from Washington at those times wouldn't be without precedent - Philippa Thomas used to co-present the overnight edition of World News Today from Washington.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 23-03-2023

No business presenter at 14:30 UKT, WBR is done by Shaun Ley with a little botched headlines (only one topic, interest rate, after some pause), and straight after the headlines they went to Tiktok hearings - that were not in the headlines.

11:30 UKT was done as usual by Victoria Valentine.

Also weird for London to be till midnight, this means that if things stay as they are, first hour of Newsday will be operated by London, while the rest by Singapore. Why not hand it over to Singapore when Newsday starts?

And still not clear what about weekends - also Singapore and New York?

(23-03-2023, 03:42 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Also weird for London to be till midnight, this means that if things stay as they are, first hour of Newsday will be operated by London, while the rest by Singapore. Why not hand it over to Singapore when Newsday starts?

And still not clear what about weekends - also Singapore and New York?
I suspect the midnight rather than 23:00 confusion might be a small misunderstanding/elision. Regardless of whether London is handing over fully or in part, would be very odd for it not to be at the start of Newsday. IIRC, the UK-opt ability also ends at 23:00. 

The weekend situation hasn't been clarified, but I'd expect a single overnight shift from Washington. Given additional resources have solely been allocated to it rather than Singapore, I don't think we'll see an expansion in the latter's output.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - matthieu1221 - 23-03-2023

(23-03-2023, 02:30 PM)ALV Wrote:  Seems like Washington will handle overnight bulletins until 0500 on April 3rd. Not so sure if it’ll still be produced by London’s gallery like WNA and Newsday or it’ll be produced natively like ABR…

My guess is that 2300-0200 will be from Singapore for Newsday, 0300-0500 will be from Washington for the generic bulletins.

In long term I think they should consider moving the evening shifts out of London too for cost cutting…

Savings in the morning seems more likely in my opinion. For a 5am newscast out of London you need to have staff in during the early morning hours. The evening shift which will end at 11pm works 'normal' working hours.

Separately, people keep mentioning how advertisers will be fleeing if World's programming choices chase away too many viewers but do we know exactly how much is made through advertising and how much simply through pay-TV packages? When I was in HK, there were never any (or very rarely) any ads on BBC World but it was part of a pay-TV package so I suppose it's at a rate which the BBC negotiates with each pay-TV provider individually?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - House - 23-03-2023

Is the logic of the Washington/Singapore split simply to cut out an entire shift in London by adding a couple of hours rolling coverage to the Newsday/WNA teams? I thought Washington was meant to be beefing up its hiring, which seems a little unnecessary if they might only be on air a few hours a day?

05:00-2300 also would make more sense, if only because splitting up 19 hours of London output across shifts seems less intuitive than 18. I wonder if the truth is that the UK will air Newsnight + filler at 23:00, with ‘WN’ taking Newsday, and there effectively won’t be any official live output on the combined channel during that hour?

(23-03-2023, 04:25 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  Separately, people keep mentioning how advertisers will be fleeing if World's programming choices chase away too many viewers but do we know exactly how much is made through advertising and how much simply through pay-TV packages? When I was in HK, there were never any (or very rarely) any ads on BBC World but it was part of a pay-TV package so I suppose it's at a rate which the BBC negotiates with each pay-TV provider individually?
According to the latest year that figures are available, BBC Global News' television advertising income was £27.8m, compared to £15.8m from licence fees and £6.3m from syndication fees, plus an extra £41.8m from other sources - primarily digital advertising income.

I don't think it's really a case of advertisers fleeing, but any decline in audience figures would reduce the rates that the BBC can leverage out of advertisers. Similarly, with pay-TV contracts, the BBC's hand in negotiations will be somewhat dependent on what audience they are legitimately able to claim. The same applies to the few sponsored programmes the channel has.

In terms of ads, there is variation between markets - both in terms of frequency of adverts and the rates that are charged (the US market is the big one). But really, it's all about the sheer bulk of adverts that's where the money comes from. I don't have a BBC World ratecard to hand, but BBC Earth Asia's ratecard on the BBC Studios' website suggests $250 for non-peak, $500 for peak for a 30-second ad. Just two minutes of ads an hour, every day would add up to $11.7m (currently £9.5m - ads are sold in $, so USD:GBP exchange rates do affect profitability) per year in just one market (of course, they don't necessarily sell this many in each market).

(22-03-2023, 09:41 PM)DTV Wrote:  Just noticed some small changes to the post-3rd April schedules on the Partners website:

Also note that BBC News and BBC World News are not showing schedules from 1st April on BBC Online, despite other channels now being updated to do so.
BBC Online now showing schedules for BBC World News from 3rd April onwards. It's the same as those on the Partners website - i.e., as per the interim period, but with Outside Source, The Context and Sport Today axed, remaining BBC World News editions replaced by BBC News, and Focus on Africa returning at an earlier time. Also worth noting Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd show all 30-minute bulletins, excepting those followed by Sport Today - suggesting that the new channel will finally put an end to weekend 10-minute bulletins. Obviously, could still change, but probably closest to confirmation yet as to the launch schedule.

BBC News yet to show anything, though worth noting that Nicky Campbell is not listed on BBC Two - though I feel like I recall somebody suggesting that it wouldn't start right away, though might be misremembering that. Not that I think anybody would complain.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 23-03-2023

Regarding on weekends, I just noticed all bulletins on April 1st and April 2nd are already renamed "BBC News" (in the previous weekends the bulletins are still billed as "BBC World News")...

It could mean anything, maybe there is a slight chance that the new branding elements will start popping up on April 1st Sat... Worth to keep an eye out...

RE: thomalex - Brekkie - 23-03-2023

(23-03-2023, 02:51 PM)thomalex Wrote:  
(23-03-2023, 03:17 AM)agentsquash Wrote:  ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’

The News brand, in terms of visual and sonic identity, is very strong. It still looks good in the new layouts, so why change?

Ask the BBC. They’ve begun to remove the globe from their online assets so it does look like they are moving away from it, albeit slowly. 

Personally I have no issue with the globe and sonic identity but that doesn’t mean it should be stuck. I’m sure all of us here would love to see it evolve. An identity can be freshened up without replacing its core concepts.

Exactly - it doesn't even need to be expensive with just the animation of the blocks which looks far slicker.

And I would disagree that the visual side of the branding is very strong - and for me the sonic identity can be modernised too.    I also think BBC News is at a moment in time where it can't be resting on it's laurels - and the BBC need to show they value it.