Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: thomalex - Kojak - 23-03-2023

(23-03-2023, 09:59 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(23-03-2023, 02:51 PM)thomalex Wrote:  Ask the BBC. They’ve begun to remove the globe from their online assets so it does look like they are moving away from it, albeit slowly. 

Personally I have no issue with the globe and sonic identity but that doesn’t mean it should be stuck. I’m sure all of us here would love to see it evolve. An identity can be freshened up without replacing its core concepts.

Exactly - it doesn't even need to be expensive with just the animation of the blocks which looks far slicker.

And I would disagree that the visual side of the branding is very strong - and for me the sonic identity can be modernised too.    I also think BBC News is at a moment in time where it can't be resting on it's laurels - and the BBC need to show they value it.
Equally, they are at a moment where any 'unnecessary' spending will be scrutinised beyond belief, especially when we consider the amount of jobs being lost. As welcome as a full rebrand would be - and let's face it, the BBC still using 15 year old titles is a bit of a joke - I can't see how it can be justified with the spotlight on the BBC being what it is. I'm sure that when the dust has settled in a year or two, a proper rebrand will (finally!) be on the cards.

RE: thomalex - Andrew - 23-03-2023

(23-03-2023, 10:17 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(23-03-2023, 09:59 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Exactly - it doesn't even need to be expensive with just the animation of the blocks which looks far slicker.

And I would disagree that the visual side of the branding is very strong - and for me the sonic identity can be modernised too.    I also think BBC News is at a moment in time where it can't be resting on it's laurels - and the BBC need to show they value it.
Equally, they are at a moment where any 'unnecessary' spending will be scrutinised beyond belief, especially when we consider the amount of jobs being lost. As welcome as a full rebrand would be - and let's face it, the BBC still using 15 year old titles is a bit of a joke - I can't see how it can be justified with the spotlight on the BBC being what it is. I'm sure that when the dust has settled in a year or two, a proper rebrand will (finally!) be on the cards.
Are they really? Or would it be one story in the Mail that is forgotten about a day later

Was there a big outrage when BBC One changed their idents?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 24-03-2023

(23-03-2023, 08:01 PM)DTV Wrote:   Also worth noting Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd show all 30-minute bulletins, excepting those followed by Sport Today - suggesting that the new channel will finally put an end to weekend 10-minute bulletins. Obviously, could still change, but probably closest to confirmation yet as to the launch schedule.

More news is good news. 

There's plenty of time in the schedules to show Reporters on half hours instead.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 24-03-2023

It's here - BBC Online now showing BBC News (UK) schedules for 3rd April.

Basically as per now, but with extra edition of Sportsday at 13:30, Outside Source and The Context replaced by BBC News, short 5-minute Click segments during several hours, Newsnight simulcast at 22:30 - crashing into Newsday at 23:10. God knows why or how they are doing the Newsnight simulcast - the Ten often overruns and crashing into Newsday doesn't seem great - though at least no more guide dogs!

[Image: MergedSchedulesUKWorld%202.png]
In addition to the network simulcasts, looks to be separated UK output at 10:30 and 17:30 when World takes back-half programmes - possibly at 13:45 as well, if we continue with the News at One hour.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - mccanmat - 24-03-2023

Shame focus on Africa is not on in the UK - it’s a good programme and brings variety to the schedule

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 24-03-2023

Wow. I don't remeber any announcement of Newsnight coming back to NC, only speculations on this forum.
Click seems to be a filler so WN can go to ads at the end of the hour.
Not only Ten can overrun, but Newsnight can also be delayed, so they don't start for a couple of minutes after Ten ends. NC can, of course, fill it with a looped clockless countdown.
Also, will this be first time in ages that UK output of News Channel would not do live TOTH on a regular basis (i.e. not counting breakdowns)?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 24-03-2023

Thank you for that. Is there a site similar to world news partners showing schedules for domestic UK TV and radio stations if BBC? The BBC online sites only go a few weeks ahead.

Thanks

(24-03-2023, 03:09 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Wow. I don't remeber any announcement of Newsnight coming back to NC, only speculations on this forum.
Not only Ten can overrun, but Newsnight can also be delayed, so they don't start for a couple of minutes after Ten ends. NC can, of course, fill it with a looped clockless countdown.
Also, will this be first time in ages that UK output of News Channel would not do live TOTH on a regular basis (i.e. not counting breakdowns)?

And no Sportsday at 2230 then?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 24-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 03:09 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Wow. I don't remeber any announcement of Newsnight coming back to NC, only speculations on this forum.
Arguably it would have been better if they could have run Newsnight on a 15 minute delay on BBC News, so that it ran 22:45 to 23:30. This would have allowed Sportsday to be retained between 22:30 to 22:45, with the potential ability to shorten or completely drop it if the Ten was overrunning. However, in reality it might not be as practical to do this, hence why they've opted for the scheduling they've announced.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 24-03-2023

Tuesday's schedule appeared as well, with Newsnight at the same place and Travel Show instead of Click.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6g/2023/04/04 
Also I take back my words about 5-minute Click (and then Travel Show) being a filler while WN takes the ads - they appear at the sime time on WN, so it is just a result of full World simulcast.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 24-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 03:10 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Thank you for that. Is there a site similar to world news partners showing schedules for domestic UK TV and radio stations if BBC? The BBC online sites only go a few weeks ahead.
No, BBC World News Partners website is only really for the benefit of potential advertisers, with advanced schedules merely serving to allow ad booking. Plus, it isn't really that great for seeing future schedule changes anyway.

I'm also not sure it'd be possible for BBC domestic television - schedules for channels like BBC One are rarely finalised that far in advance and, even when decisions are made, major broadcasters are notoriously cagey about publicly announcing them too far ahead of time so competitors can't undercut them.