Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 24-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 02:39 PM)DTV Wrote:  It's here - BBC Online now showing BBC News (UK) schedules for 3rd April.

Basically as per now, but with extra edition of Sportsday at 13:30, Outside Source and The Context replaced by BBC News, short 5-minute Click segments during several hours, Newsnight simulcast at 22:30 - crashing into Newsday at 23:10. God knows why or how they are doing the Newsnight simulcast - the Ten often overruns and crashing into Newsday doesn't seem great - though at least no more guide dogs!
10pm until midnight just looks a mess for UK viewers - why not just continue with a straight simulcast of World output, including World News America? We know that viewing figures have collapsed on the NC after 10pm anyway since 'The Papers' was axed. 
I see absolutely zero point in simulcasting what you can already watch on BBC 1 & 2 - give the few viewers who are left for the NC after 10pm a choice.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 24-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 05:02 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(24-03-2023, 02:39 PM)DTV Wrote:  It's here - BBC Online now showing BBC News (UK) schedules for 3rd April.

Basically as per now, but with extra edition of Sportsday at 13:30, Outside Source and The Context replaced by BBC News, short 5-minute Click segments during several hours, Newsnight simulcast at 22:30 - crashing into Newsday at 23:10. God knows why or how they are doing the Newsnight simulcast - the Ten often overruns and crashing into Newsday doesn't seem great - though at least no more guide dogs!
10pm until midnight just looks a mess for UK viewers - why not just continue with a straight simulcast of World output, including World News America? I can't imagine viewing figures are anything special on the NC after 10pm since The Papers was axed. 
I see absolutely zero point in simulcasting what you can already watch on BBC 1 & 2 - give the few viewers who are left for the NC after 10pm a choice.
I'm sure it's just so if and when there are complaints, a spokesperson can say "well we still have x amount of hours of UK-specific content each day," as if that's going to placate people. A cop-out, if you will.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 24-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 04:56 PM)ALV Wrote:  Earlier today you mentioned the NC will not take ABR and Sportsday in midnights in replacement of pre-records... But just now it seems you modified the picture... Is this an error on your side or they've modified the schedule after you posted it? I didn't have a chance to look at the schedule when you posted it...
Yes, I modified it as there was an error on my part. When the schedules first went up, they did not include the Monday-to-Tuesday overnight, so I assumed that the Sunday-to-Monday overnight schedule would be repeated as it is at present. But, when later schedules were added, they showed Asia Business Report and Sportsday being shown as well - so clearly a bit of difference on that one overnight. Incidentally, BBC World News' schedule for that night show Asia Business Report but no Sport Today or Sportsday - I'm not sure what's going on there, but clearly an odd-one-out.

Somewhat related to this, I do wonder when the official switch will occur - BBC World became BBC World News at 05:00, but, more recently, switches in BBC News branding have happened at 09:00.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 24-03-2023

Apparantly the overnight editions of Sportsday is not debuting on April 2nd midnight... it's replaced by tons of repeats of the pre-record "10 Questions on Vladimir Putin"... Aren't there other 15 minutes pre-record available to fill time?
[Image: 6d2070f6bf7ad03b91826a28987a859b.png]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - London Lite - 24-03-2023

So we get another Newsnight simulcast again on the NC purely to bump up the UK opt-out time, which leaves for just 20 mins of Newsday at 11.10pm.

I can see why they haven't gone for Focus on Africa on the NC, but there's a sizable African population in the UK who may tune into to see 30 mins of news from the continent. They should add it to iPlayer at least or as an overnight repeat.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - UTVLifer - 24-03-2023

I'm surprised that they're dropping Outside Source and The Context given that they've continued with them during the transition month

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - xlalonce - 24-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 05:02 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  

10pm until midnight just looks a mess for UK viewers - why not just continue with a straight simulcast of World output, including World News America? We know that viewing figures have collapsed on the NC after 10pm anyway since 'The Papers' was axed. 
I don't even understand how the idea of showing BBC1 bulletins and Newsnight with BSL is not considered as a way to bring something different and to justify the simulcast. Even if is because of the cuts, it isn't impossible to put any BSL trasnlator in a small studio with just 1 camera controlled by NC UK (Or even by Red Bee if they end handling the output of the channel as it may look)

Just like, for example, TVE in spain. The news channel (24h) simulcasts the news bulletins of the main channel (La 1), but always with sign language, so they get away with a better way to justify why their news channel axed the 21h bulletin, and why the main channel axed the midnight bulletin for a simulcast of a debate show of the news channel some years ago.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 24-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 06:33 PM)xlalonce Wrote:  
(24-03-2023, 05:02 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  10pm until midnight just looks a mess for UK viewers - why not just continue with a straight simulcast of World output, including World News America? We know that viewing figures have collapsed on the NC after 10pm anyway since 'The Papers' was axed. 
I don't even understand how the idea of showing BBC1 bulletins and Newsnight with BSL is not considered as a way to bring something different and to justify the simulcast. Even if is because of the cuts, it isn't impossible to put any BSL trasnlator in a small studio with just 1 camera controlled by NC UK (Or even by Red Bee if they end handling the output of the channel as it may look)

Just like, for example, TVE in spain. The news channel (24h) simulcasts the news bulletins of the main channel (La 1), but always with sign language, so they get away with a better way to justify why their news channel axed the 21h bulletin, and why the main channel axed the midnight bulletin for a simulcast of a debate show of the news channel some years ago.
There doesn't seem to be any thought or justification put into the programs on BBC News (UK) after 10pm - it just seems to have been thrown together as a collection of BBC 1 & 2 simulcasts to please OFCOM with some token UK only content.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - leewilliams - 24-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 04:30 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
Quote:Is the plan of visualising the 5 Live 9am hour dropped?

I think (but don't know!) that that was never going to be until the autumn anyway. AFAIK it is still part of the plan - but I'd love to be proven wrong!
It is still part of the plan - pilots starting in the next couple of weeks.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Frances - 24-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 04:44 PM)bakamann Wrote:  
(24-03-2023, 04:30 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I think (but don't know!) that that was never going to be until the autumn anyway. AFAIK it is still part of the plan - but I'd love to be proven wrong!

As someone from overseas, I kinda assumed that BBC Radio's "flagship" morning news radio show was Radio 4 Today, considering that Mishal Husein decided to drop her "Impact" show on BBCWN to present the radio program.

I somewhat believed that, maybe, that's gonna be the radio program that's gonna have a TV simulcast. Maybe part-R4 Today and part-Breakfast with sign language, not some random phone-in program on 5Live.
Visualising the Today programme (with or without BSL) might be a better idea for the News Channel.

Usually Today is the programme sets the day’s agenda and it has more interviews and soundbites quoted by news organisations compared with Breakfast.

And at least it will provide an alternative.