Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chris - 24-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 06:52 PM)Frances Wrote:  
(24-03-2023, 04:44 PM)bakamann Wrote:  As someone from overseas, I kinda assumed that BBC Radio's "flagship" morning news radio show was Radio 4 Today, considering that Mishal Husein decided to drop her "Impact" show on BBCWN to present the radio program.

I somewhat believed that, maybe, that's gonna be the radio program that's gonna have a TV simulcast. Maybe part-R4 Today and part-Breakfast with sign language, not some random phone-in program on 5Live.
Visualising the Today programme (with or without BSL) might be a better idea for the News Channel.

Usually Today is the programme sets the day’s agenda and it has more interviews and soundbites quoted by news organisations compared with Breakfast.

And at least it will provide an alternative.

Today is full of packages. What would you show in those slots?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 24-03-2023

It's worth noting that, although never popular on here, simulcast BBC One bulletins do tend to rate above average on the News channel. I don't know why - I assume that people are just used to the news being at that time, or maybe do switch over for Sportsday.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Frances - 24-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 07:09 PM)chris Wrote:  
(24-03-2023, 06:52 PM)Frances Wrote:  Visualising the Today programme (with or without BSL) might be a better idea for the News Channel.

Usually Today is the programme sets the day’s agenda and it has more interviews and soundbites quoted by news organisations compared with Breakfast.

I was thinking about Red Button’s simulcast of 5 Live Sport and then I knew that it might be more suitable on iPlayer than TV.  Sad

(24-03-2023, 04:44 PM)bakamann Wrote:  I somewhat believed that, maybe, that's gonna be the radio program that's gonna have a TV simulcast. Maybe part-R4 Today and part-Breakfast with sign language, not some random phone-in program on 5Live.
As I said when first announced, I think the most justifiable visualised radio programme would be Today in Parliament. It ticks all the boxes - is actually news, wouldn't be difficult to visualise and would make up for the axing of its TV equivalent a few years back. Plus, if you extended Newsnight on the News channel to include a paper review, you could have a solid two-hour UK news and analysis block on the channel.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Frances - 24-03-2023

They modified the April schedule, dropping those short editions of Click and The Travel Show…

(24-03-2023, 07:31 PM)Frances Wrote:  They modified the April schedule, dropping those short editions of Click and The Travel Show…
Not surpising, suspect they must have been left in by mistake as a legacy. Would be difficult to see how they would've worked under the new system anyway - only appeared in hours where news programming finished at xx:51 or xx:52, while the new system will presumably see programming finish at xx:56.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Robert Williams - 24-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 07:10 PM)DTV Wrote:  Also, weirdly, the new Newsnight simulcast is only Monday-Thursday. On Fridays, HARDtalk is at 22:30, with a BBC News bulletin at 23:00, though with the UK opting-out for Newswatch at 23:15 (which appears to be its new origination slot).

Friday 7th is Good Friday, so no Newsnight that day.

(24-03-2023, 07:40 PM)Robert Williams Wrote:  
(24-03-2023, 07:10 PM)DTV Wrote:  Also, weirdly, the new Newsnight simulcast is only Monday-Thursday. On Fridays, HARDtalk is at 22:30, with a BBC News bulletin at 23:00, though with the UK opting-out for Newswatch at 23:15 (which appears to be its new origination slot).
Friday 7th is Good Friday, so no Newsnight that day.
Ah, my mistake. I keep forgetting they're launching with an irregular week!

Though, given Friday Newsnight typically lasts for about 32 minutes, not looking forward to that crash in. Presumably, they'll have to shorten Friday editions, although, given shorter Friday editions are purely a legacy of the long gone Newsnight Review/The Review Show, they could (though they almost definitely won't) return it to the same length five days a week.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 24-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 06:56 PM)Transmission Wrote:  Sumi Somaskanda of Deutsche Welle to join the channel as one of the chief presenters in Washington.

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1635699474197512198?t=oDy6cT0TixkbGytwJt6htA 
And Sumi has just made her BBC debut! Although not as a presenter yet. She interviewed Chair of House Intelligence Comimitee in the Washington studio and did a live introduction to it in the WNA (interview was taped), as well as short commentary afterwards.
[Image: image.png]
In a strange reversal of roles, the WNA bulletin was anchored from a New York cupboard studio by a BBC correspondent Michelle Flurry, although she named Sumi's position on air as "chief anchor" when introducing her.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - simon - 24-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 07:09 PM)chris Wrote:  
(24-03-2023, 06:52 PM)Frances Wrote:  Visualising the Today programme (with or without BSL) might be a better idea for the News Channel.

Radio packages seem to predominantly be reversioned TV packages these days, with some of the more obvious visual references removed.

They could just fully embrace this and deliver the radio version with visuals as well, but cut to be more suitable for radio (no "as you can see here", no background audio from cutaway shots...)

Today could then play in the video version for their visualised output and it would still work well for radio.

RTE actually do what Frances was describing - on RTE One you get Today (their TV breakfast programme), and on RTE News you get a visualised version of Morning Ireland which is RTE Radio One's breakfast programme. Last time I looked at it they just had a wide shot of the studio during recorded elements.

(24-03-2023, 07:10 PM)DTV Wrote:  It's worth noting that, although never popular on here, simulcast BBC One bulletins do tend to rate above average on the News channel. I don't know why - I assume that people are just used to the news being at that time, or maybe do switch over for Sportsday.

I imagine it's because there are a number of people who know that the One, Six and Ten are different to the regular rolling news output, make a point of tuning in to watch those bulletins, but just default to tuning in to the News Channel because, well, that's where they expect to find the BBC News.

Although I do get the argument that you could give people more choice, I think for many more casual viewers they simply might not expect the BBC to be producing more than one TV news programme at a time and be confused if they turn on the BBC's dedicated news channel and find something other than the BBC's flagship news bulletin.