Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - EverythingFavs - 25-03-2023

BBC News broadcasting from E tonight.

[Image: vlcsnap-2023-03-25-00h03m51s883.png]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Independent - 25-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 02:58 PM)mccanmat Wrote:  Shame focus on Africa is not on in the UK - it’s a good programme and brings variety to the schedule
(24-03-2023, 06:27 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I can see why they haven't gone for Focus on Africa on the NC, but there's a sizable African population in the UK who may tune into to see 30 mins of news from the continent.
They don't do daylight savings in Africa so during a portion of the year it will be at 5:30 in the UK and then at 6:30 during the other portion.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 25-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 04:44 PM)bakamann Wrote:  
(24-03-2023, 04:30 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I think (but don't know!) that that was never going to be until the autumn anyway. AFAIK it is still part of the plan - but I'd love to be proven wrong!

As someone from overseas, I kinda assumed that BBC Radio's "flagship" morning news radio show was Radio 4 Today, considering that Mishal Husein decided to drop her "Impact" show on BBCWN to present the radio program.

I somewhat believed that, maybe, that's gonna be the radio program that's gonna have a TV simulcast. Maybe part-R4 Today and part-Breakfast with sign language, not some random phone-in program on 5Live.

Your logic makes a lot of sense!
Unfortunately the BBC’s doesn’t.

Running Newsnight on delay plus keeping Sportsday at 10:30pm (either live or, if not really feasible live any more due to budget, repeated from 6:30pm) before re-joining WN at 11:30pm would make far more sense. Either that or drop simulcasting the Ten and go right through with WN including World News America.

It’s the same for Nicky Campbell - just air WN instead, it would be far better!

I can’t think of anything worse than a phone-in broadcast on TV. It’s a shameful plan.

(25-03-2023, 02:34 AM)Independent Wrote:  
(24-03-2023, 02:58 PM)mccanmat Wrote:  Shame focus on Africa is not on in the UK - it’s a good programme and brings variety to the schedule
(24-03-2023, 06:27 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I can see why they haven't gone for Focus on Africa on the NC, but there's a sizable African population in the UK who may tune into to see 30 mins of news from the continent.
They don't do daylight savings in Africa so during a portion of the year it will be at 5:30 in the UK and then at 6:30 during the other portion.

Presumably they could easily still air it?

They’d just have to swap around Sportsday when required!

(24-03-2023, 04:51 PM)ALV Wrote:  With the NC taking the 5 minute editions of Click with WN, fully integrating with WN's schedule, I'm strongly suspecting the NC's TX will originate from Red Bee (and be integrated as one of the WN regions) beginning April 3rd, maybe starting at 6AM.

The galleries in NBH will solely output live news programmes and no longer play out the weather and promos to sustain the channel. We might get to see WN stuff on the NC like the time-lapse fillers, breakbumpers... Sadly there's no news on the switching arrangements, so we might only know until the actual day of launch.
Either that or they will take the “clean feed” (fillers instead of ads) from Red Bee and put it through the router in NBH, switching feeds there when required as they do now.

This would mean they would not have to pay Red Bee to handle U.K. opts as they could be done entirely within NBH, and Red Bed would not need to set up a new “region”. Assuming that a truly ad-free version of WN does exist already - or does it not?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 25-03-2023

(17-03-2023, 12:59 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  One thing that I do prefer since full time joint operation started, is the shorter, sharper headline sequences. No fillers and faffing around with pointless vox pops, "we'll be taking a look at/analysing.........", inserts from a reporter etc. Just the headlines and into the bulletin in just over 60 seconds.

It does stand out now for UK viewers compared to the 1/6/10 where the headlines are still padded out with pointless filler, dragging it out to 2 and half minutes before the bulletin actually starts.
True, we don’t need “and I’m here in a market in Wetherby to find out what traders and customers make of the budget” in the headline sequence!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - leewilliams - 25-03-2023

People will be pleased to hear Newswatch tackled the endless Guide Dogs repeats in fairly amusing style (7’30” in):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001kfn8 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 25-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 06:02 AM)leewilliams Wrote:  People will be pleased to hear Newswatch tackled the endless Guide Dogs repeats in fairly amusing style (7’30” in):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001kfn8 
Typical mealy-mouthed BBC response at the end there. (Paraphrasing here) “We realise that some documentaries are so important that we like to show them more than once.” Ok, fine - but EVERY night for a week?! Why not just admit it was a (technical?) balls-up?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - m_in_m - 25-03-2023

They also failed to explain why The Context is currently shorter on BBC News. I guess if it's ending imminently it doesn't make sense to say it's the oddity of clocks changing at different times on different continents.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 25-03-2023

Context must be one of the shortest runs ever on bbc news, it didn’t seem to be on for two long, oh well and only nine more days to go before the bbc world news name is banished to the history books.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 25-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 01:12 PM)harshy Wrote:  Context must be one of the shortest runs ever on bbc news, it didn’t seem to be on for two long, oh well and only nine more days to go before the bbc world news name is banished to the history books.
One of the shortest, but Worklife and a few of the early News 24 programmes didn't even make a year. There are also a few 'editions' of programmes that didn't last long - the multiple editions of Newsdesk that existed between March and October 1997, the first European Breakfast version of The World Today that only lasted five months, the first Nik Gowing edition of World News Today that only lasted eight months and, more recently, the evening edition of Business Live which managed just over a year. Frontline with Lyse Doucet didn't even make it to air, ultimately replaced by a new edition of World News Today that was itself replaced by a Friday edition of Impact after only eight months.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 25-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 02:34 AM)Independent Wrote:  
(24-03-2023, 06:27 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I can see why they haven't gone for Focus on Africa on the NC, but there's a sizable African population in the UK who may tune into to see 30 mins of news from the continent.
This has traditionally been the case, but it appears it might be being pegged to 17:30 UKT all year from now on (or moved an hour earlier) - the provisional schedules could be wrong, but Asia-targetted programming used to shift and they discontinued that.

I don't really see, though, much point in simulcasting it in the UK. While the UK does have a small, but sizeable minority of African descent, I'm not sure their communities are particularly calling out for an African news programme - and, even if they were, showing it in one of the channel's stronger performing slots wouldn't be particularly wise given the limited nature of the programme's UK audience. Arguably, a weekly 'highlights' version could work as a weekend back-half filler, but showing the daily version doesn't seem that great an idea and would waste one of the UK's limited periods of separate output.