Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - JamesWorldNews - 25-03-2023

Quote:

“While the UK does have a small, but sizeable minority of African descent, I'm not sure their communities are particularly calling out for an African news programme - and, even if they were, showing it in one of the channel's stronger performing slots wouldn't be particularly wise given the limited nature of the programme's UK audience”.

Unquote

Wow! Just wow!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 25-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 02:08 PM)DTV Wrote:  the provisional schedules could be wrong, but Asia-targetted programming used to shift and they discontinued that.
Shift relatively to the UKT or to non-changed clock?
I think they still shift (relatively to UKT) Asia Business Report - this winter its first edition is at 2230 UKT, the last being at 0230 UKT, but in summer (since next week) it is 2330 UKT and 0330 UKT, respectively. This is not the case with Newsday as it would crash with World News America in winter.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 25-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 02:15 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(25-03-2023, 02:08 PM)DTV Wrote:  the provisional schedules could be wrong, but Asia-targetted programming used to shift and they discontinued that.
Shift relatively to the UKT or to non-changed clock?
I think they still shift (relatively to UKT) Asia Business Report - this winter its first edition is at 2230 UKT, the last being at 0230 UKT, but in summer (since next week) it is 2330 UKT and 0330 UKT, respectively. This is not the case with Newsday as it would crash with World News America in winter.
Most Asia-targetted programming used to stick to the same GMT times all year (so shifting on UKT) until 2016, but, you're right, Asia Business Report is the exception.

(25-03-2023, 02:14 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  “While the UK does have a small, but sizeable minority of African descent, I'm not sure their communities are particularly calling out for an African news programme - and, even if they were, showing it in one of the channel's stronger performing slots wouldn't be particularly wise given the limited nature of the programme's UK audience”.

Wow! Just wow!
What? This is just the reality of how television scheduling works. Even if we assume that British Africans will watch a Focus on Africa simulcast at 5x the rate that all Brits currently watch the average News channel hour (which I'm not really sure is at all true), that's an audience of about 20,000 - about one-sixth to one-eighth of the audience the slot currently gets. Even assuming some residual interest in African affairs from a portion of the channel's other viewers, British Africans would have to want to watch the programme at an absurd rate just to breakeven in viewer terms.

I'm not at all opposed to programming that serves a minority or niche audience, that is, after all, one of the purposes of public service broadcasting, but there are multiple reasons that such programming doesn't get put into the strongest-performing slots on general audience channels. And that is assuming that there is even a reasonable demand for this kind of programming among minority audiences, which nobody has provided any evidence for.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 25-03-2023

Frankie McCamley is presenting now on BBC News. She has occasionally presented before, but is mainly a reporter (previously covering domestic news stories in the UK).

Maybe I’m reading too much into this, given that we are likely to have unusual presenters filling in during the transition period anyway, but could we be seeing a sort of “live auditions/trials” for the presenter-report roles?

Simulcast mistake again!

At just before ten-past-three, there was an almost imperceptible pause which appeared to be for WN to opt-out for other programming, only for a story to then be covered with copious references to how U.K. viewers can see more on a programme coming up and viewers “around the world” can watch the programme as well at certain times on WN. Yet, WN viewers were not actually seeing that content, I believe!

They really need to improve their script-review processes, I think, being mindful of when NC and WN are joining and leaving the “eternal simulcast”!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 25-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 04:11 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Frankie McCamley is presenting now on BBC News. She has occasionally presented before, but is mainly a reporter (previously covering domestic news stories in the UK).

Maybe I’m reading too much into this, given that we are likely to have unusual presenters filling in during the transition period anyway, but could we be seeing a sort of “live auditions/trials” for the presenter-report roles?

The 'transition period' is almost over - there's just 1 week left before the new channel launches. And apparently, apart from the 5 chief anchors, other long standing presenters have no idea in what capacity they'll be employed (or whether they'll still be employed at all) at the BBC from a week on Monday.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - London Lite - 25-03-2023

Frankie McCamley seems to be the latest BBC London reporter who also dabbles with shifts on World. Alpa Patel used to do dual shifts for both, but went back to BBC London full time.

(25-03-2023, 05:14 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(25-03-2023, 04:11 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Frankie McCamley is presenting now on BBC News. She has occasionally presented before, but is mainly a reporter (previously covering domestic news stories in the UK).

The 'transition period' is almost over - there's just 1 week left before the new channel launches. And apparently, apart from the 5 chief anchors, other long standing presenters have no idea in what capacity they'll be employed (or whether they'll still be employed at all) at the BBC from a week on Monday.
I know the transition period is almost over, but we are still in it! Hence why I say it’s perhaps expected to have unusual faces until the end of the month.

We don’t yet know if the presenter-reporter roles are finalised, I suspect they are not as something probably would have leaked if they were. The final arrangements are clearly to be “phased in” after the initial soft launch. Eventually, I imagine we will then see redundancies announced. The BBC are dragging out the process hoping that low morale will force many to “naturally” leave through voluntary redundancy, it seems.

All I really expect in the short term, once the transition period ends, is for BBC WN to rebrand to “BBC News” and the chameleon-tweaked graphics to debut. Alterations to studios, the launch of new branded programmes, and even final presenter lineups, will become clear later on.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 25-03-2023

There was talk in Private Eye a while ago of producers being offered presenting shifts. I know that’s not the same as reporters doing such, but it’s something to keep in mind.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - London Lite - 25-03-2023

I wouldn't be surprised if Luxmy Gopal will also do weekend pres shifts.