Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 25-03-2023

Indeed, Luxmy is another regional presenter who has regularly appeared on BBC WN weekend simulcasts. I fully expect they will continue to have various BBC staff presenters from the regions fill in on weekend shifts with the new channel. Not least because the main presenters will work, at best, Monday-Friday (probably with Mariam as cover for the others) and the weekend is unlikely to be entirely presented by presenter-reporters.

Overnights, on the other hand, will no longer see this with presentation coming from Washington (although we may see DC-based reporters present sometimes, similar to how “Asia Business Hub” reporters and other reporters from the region fill in on Newsday).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 25-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 01:37 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(25-03-2023, 01:12 PM)harshy Wrote:  Context must be one of the shortest runs ever on bbc news, it didn’t seem to be on for two long, oh well and only nine more days to go before the bbc world news name is banished to the history books.
One of the shortest, but Worklife and a few of the early News 24 programmes didn't even make a year. There are also a few 'editions' of programmes that didn't last long - the multiple editions of Newsdesk that existed between March and October 1997, the first European Breakfast version of The World Today that only lasted five months, the first Nik Gowing edition of World News Today that only lasted eight months and, more recently, the evening edition of Business Live which managed just over a year. Frontline with Lyse Doucet didn't even make it to air, ultimately replaced by a new edition of World News Today that was itself replaced by a Friday edition of Impact after only eight months.
There was also Christian Fraser's 'The Brexit Effect' which lasted for 2 months with 2 episodes. It eventually got morphed into what was 100 Days from memory.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 25-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 08:30 PM)Worzel Wrote:  
(25-03-2023, 01:37 PM)DTV Wrote:  One of the shortest, but Worklife and a few of the early News 24 programmes didn't even make a year.
There was also Christian Fraser's 'The Brexit Effect' which lasted for 2 months with 2 episodes. It eventually got morphed into what was 100 Days from memory.
Yep, there have been a good few short run programmes too - campaign shows like Election Today and Ebola Daily in late-2014. Also those few weeks during the 2012 Olympics when BBC World News dropped everything in favour of BBC World News London Live.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 25-03-2023

(24-03-2023, 03:09 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Wow. I don't remeber any announcement of Newsnight coming back to NC, only speculations on this forum.
Click seems to be a filler so WN can go to ads at the end of the hour.
Not only Ten can overrun, but Newsnight can also be delayed, so they don't start for a couple of minutes after Ten ends. NC can, of course, fill it with a looped clockless countdown.
Also, will this be first time in ages that UK output of News Channel would not do live TOTH on a regular basis (i.e. not counting breakdowns)?

Sad to see the guide dogs leaving, as they will be replaced by Newsnight.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 26-03-2023

Honestly, as scathing as I have been about the guide dogs clip, I’d rather have that every night than Newsnight on the NC.

As Martine Croxall said, simulcasts of other BBC channels offer nothing as it’s content “you can see anyway”. At least the guide dogs then allow us to get a proper TOTH at 11pm so we are Newsday from the start.

Missing the TOTH, on purpose, every night, just to simulcast a “current affairs” (not even really news) programme is pretty ridiculous.

It will also mean the late edition of Sportsday is axed. Personally, I don’t really care about sport much so rarely watch Sportsday, but it’s clearly a useful programme to have in the schedule as part of a varied News diet. The News at Ten also tends to be a more serious bulletin so rarely covers sport. It would be nice not to lose it given the presenter will be there anyway for the 6:30pm edition. I struggle to see how they are really saving any money at all.

They tried Newsnight on the NC before and it failed to work. It didn’t wash then; it won’t wash now.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 26-03-2023

I still struggle to see the financial sense in having a "UK opt standby team"...

Apparently the BBC can afford hiring and maintaining a team to standby, and spring into action to do UK opt-outs at any time from 0900 to 2300, but they can't afford to hire two shifts (or even one) and maintain a minimal core domestic service from 0900 to 1800 on weekdays?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 26-03-2023

(26-03-2023, 12:34 AM)ALV Wrote:  I still struggle to see the financial sense in having a "UK opt standby team"...

Apparently the BBC can afford hiring and maintaining a team to standby, and spring into action to do UK opt-outs at any time from 0900 to 2300, but they can't afford to hire two shifts (or even one) and maintain a minimal core domestic service from 0900 to 1800 on weekdays?

Ridiculous isn't it and this is where the merger will fall down sooner or later-let's see if this is still going come Christmas/Easter 2024 or whether we end up getting the core domestic service back to 9:00am (10:00 am on Saturdays) to midnight regardless of cost (which i would ring fence).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 26-03-2023

(26-03-2023, 12:34 AM)ALV Wrote:  I still struggle to see the financial sense in having a "UK opt standby team"...

It's an odd situation, and a question I did ask when it first came up, but I think it really comes down to what level of News channel service you are prepared to accept. Presenters and studio/gallery staff are only part of the cost of producing the News channel - things like extra location correspondents and multiple external contributors per hour (which they are too reliant on these days) do all add up when done every single day.

So you could ditch the opt in favour of a limited News channel service, but it would need to be stripped back compared to now - consisting solely or primarily of packaged reports that would be filed anyway and utilising only DtL correspondents that would still be on location for other programming - effectively a channel of rolling bulletins (personally, I'm all for a pacier channel, but this might be swinging too far the other way).

Given how vague details about the new opt (and wider channel) have been, I do think it's worth waiting and seeing how it works before writing anything off, but it's also important to stress that the alternative cost-saving limited UK service would still be a cutback on even the pre-interim situation. Plus, given the editorial leanings of the interim period, my expectations are that the UK viewer will do better out of the merger than the world viewer anyway.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - leewilliams - 26-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 04:11 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Frankie McCamley is presenting now on BBC News. She has occasionally presented before, but is mainly a reporter (previously covering domestic news stories in the UK).

Maybe I’m reading too much into this, given that we are likely to have unusual presenters filling in during the transition period anyway, but could we be seeing a sort of “live auditions/trials” for the presenter-report roles?
No, they’re wheeling out a cast of names at the moment - many of whom are unlikely to be seen again once more output moves to Washington - who want one final hurrah for their showreel.

(25-03-2023, 05:35 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  We don’t yet know if the presenter-reporter roles are finalised.
They are not - as I said earlier in the thread, up until a few days ago the interview process hadn’t even been completed and I understand some names who’ve turned up as semi-regular corrs or anchors on overnight output are out of the running.

(25-03-2023, 06:09 PM)Kojak Wrote:  There was talk in Private Eye a while ago of producers being offered presenting shifts. I know that’s not the same as reporters doing such, but it’s something to keep in mind.
Think PE have got mixed up with the wider shakeup at the NC where everyone was forced to reapply for their jobs under the merger and Senior Journalist roles at grade D had the job description changed so producers at that level could jump onto the UK breakout stream as an on-screen reporter if circumstances required.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Steve in Pudsey - 26-03-2023

Presumably the idea is that they will be in the newsroom working on other stuff that isn't time sensitive and can be put on hold if they do need to jump on air