Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - m_in_m - 26-03-2023

(26-03-2023, 12:28 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  It will also mean the late edition of Sportsday is axed. Personally, I don’t really care about sport much so rarely watch Sportsday, but it’s clearly a useful programme to have in the schedule as part of a varied News diet. The News at Ten also tends to be a more serious bulletin so rarely covers sport. It would be nice not to lose it given the presenter will be there anyway for the 6:30pm edition. I struggle to see how they are really saving any money at all.

Losing the late Sportsday seems a bad idea. I can't are what, across the BBC, they provide that fills this gap given it would often have the results of the evenings sports.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 26-03-2023

(26-03-2023, 12:41 AM)News76 Wrote:  
(26-03-2023, 12:34 AM)ALV Wrote:  I still struggle to see the financial sense in having a "UK opt standby team"...

Apparently the BBC can afford hiring and maintaining a team to standby, and spring into action to do UK opt-outs at any time from 0900 to 2300, but they can't afford to hire two shifts (or even one) and maintain a minimal core domestic service from 0900 to 1800 on weekdays?

Ridiculous isn't it and this is where the merger will fall down sooner or later-let's see if this is still going come Christmas/Easter 2024 or whether we end up getting the core domestic service back to 9:00am (10:00 am on Saturdays) to midnight regardless of cost (which i would ring fence).
It's all very well saying this is what you predict will happen (as you want the merger to fail before it's even been properly implemented) but when making these predictions of the separate UK NC returning for 15 hours a day, you also need to set out where the funding for it (along with all of the journalists, producers, presenters and other staff who have been made redundant) will be coming from.............

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 26-03-2023

(26-03-2023, 12:41 AM)News76 Wrote:  
(26-03-2023, 12:34 AM)ALV Wrote:  I still struggle to see the financial sense in having a "UK opt standby team"...

Apparently the BBC can afford hiring and maintaining a team to standby, and spring into action to do UK opt-outs at any time from 0900 to 2300, but they can't afford to hire two shifts (or even one) and maintain a minimal core domestic service from 0900 to 1800 on weekdays?

Ridiculous isn't it and this is where the merger will fall down sooner or later-let's see if this is still going come Christmas/Easter 2024 or whether we end up getting the core domestic service back to 9:00am (10:00 am on Saturdays) to midnight regardless of cost (which i would ring fence).
Agreed, and I just posted similar thoughts in the other thread. If the BBC “can’t afford” to do news properly, what is the point of it and what are we paying a license fee for?!

(26-03-2023, 11:12 AM)m_in_m Wrote:  
(26-03-2023, 12:28 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  It will also mean the late edition of Sportsday is axed. Personally, I don’t really care about sport much so rarely watch Sportsday, but it’s clearly a useful programme to have in the schedule as part of a varied News diet. The News at Ten also tends to be a more serious bulletin so rarely covers sport. It would be nice not to lose it given the presenter will be there anyway for the 6:30pm edition. I struggle to see how they are really saving any money at all.

Losing the late Sportsday seems a bad idea. I can't are what, across the BBC, they provide that fills this gap given it would often have the results of the evenings sports.
Agreed. Even as someone who has, as I say, limited interest in sport myself, I can see the importance of the programme. There is no proper sports coverage either before or after Sportsday on any BBC output, and the branded evening programmes don’t contain sports updates (whereas normal daytime bulletins on the channel do). Sportsday therefore fills a big gap, and a late evening roundup of various results during the day has value. If anything, perhaps they should extend it to a full half-hour to cover the gap between the end of News at Ten and the start of Newsday?

Then they wouldn’t have to find content such as guide dogs, of an awkward length, and would not need to simulcast Newsnight (which is a pointless move and inexcusable when it means they will miss the TOTH - given that Newsday no longer has BOTH headlines, you would have to wait around 50 minutes until 1am for a headline roundup on a supposedly rolling news channel)!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 26-03-2023

(26-03-2023, 01:35 AM)leewilliams Wrote:  
(25-03-2023, 04:11 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Frankie McCamley is presenting now on BBC News. She has occasionally presented before, but is mainly a reporter (previously covering domestic news stories in the UK).

Maybe I’m reading too much into this, given that we are likely to have unusual presenters filling in during the transition period anyway, but could we be seeing a sort of “live auditions/trials” for the presenter-report roles?
No, they’re wheeling out a cast of names at the moment - many of whom are unlikely to be seen again once more output moves to Washington - who want one final hurrah for their showreel.

(25-03-2023, 05:35 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  We don’t yet know if the presenter-reporter roles are finalised.
They are not - as I said earlier in the thread, up until a few days ago the interview process hadn’t even been completed and I understand some names who’ve turned up as semi-regular corrs or anchors on overnight output are out of the running.

(25-03-2023, 06:09 PM)Kojak Wrote:  There was talk in Private Eye a while ago of producers being offered presenting shifts. I know that’s not the same as reporters doing such, but it’s something to keep in mind.
Think PE have got mixed up with the wider shakeup at the NC where everyone was forced to reapply for their jobs under the merger and Senior Journalist roles at grade D had the job description changed so producers at that level could jump onto the UK breakout stream as an on-screen reporter if circumstances required.
I suspect you are right about all this.

Frankie did well yesterday, from what I saw of the 3pm bulletin, and most of the BBC’s presenters are pros in my opinion. It will be a shame to lose them. At least those from the regions will probably return to those roles rather than lose their jobs completely.

It’s also not unheard of for “producers” to present on the NC or WN, so that element of things is not a huge change. I believe Lucy Grey works primarily as a producer, for example, but semi-regularly appears. I imagine these sorts of people will work primarily behind the scenes but will be on a list of “screen capable” staff who can present the opt if required. We will most likely see them in that capacity on the UK stream, I assume, while they work as producers for the merged channel most of the time.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 26-03-2023

(26-03-2023, 11:36 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(26-03-2023, 12:41 AM)News76 Wrote:  Ridiculous isn't it and this is where the merger will fall down sooner or later-let's see if this is still going come Christmas/Easter 2024 or whether we end up getting the core domestic service back to 9:00am (10:00 am on Saturdays) to midnight regardless of cost (which i would ring fence).
It's all very well saying this is what you predict will happen (as you want the merger to fail before it's even been properly implemented) but when making these predictions of the separate UK NC returning for 15 hours a day, you also need to set out where the funding for it (along with all of the journalists, producers, presenters and other staff who have been made redundant) will be coming from.............
It's not just an issue of where the money is coming from but where on Earth would the pressure come from to elicit not just a backtrack to the pre-merger status quo but to the set-up that existed about half-a-dozen rounds of cuts (and eight years) ago. I mean, I'm actually surprised at how little complaint (outside the BBC and this forum) there has been about the phasing out of the News channel over the past few months - admittedly this is probably because shared output has very clearly skewed domestic, but I expect the new channel to be still fairly disproportionately UK-focussed and so can't see where the flood of complaints will come from.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 26-03-2023

It’s shown that no one really watches the news channel except for us tv pres enthusiasts otherwise the complaints would have already flooded in.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 26-03-2023

(26-03-2023, 03:54 PM)harshy Wrote:  It’s shown that no one really watches the news channel except for us tv pres enthusiasts otherwise the complaints would have already flooded in.
It's not really that nobody watches the channel, it's just that what people watch it for is the news from the BBC and they've continued to get the news from the BBC - for domestic viewers, with almost exactly the same editorial balance as before. There's no real reason for them to complain.

Post-April, they'll still be getting the news from the BBC - just with (I'd hope) a stronger lean towards international news. And, given what we've seen in the 10:00 hour and interim periods, there's still likely going to be a fairly large amount of UK news, plus you have the special opt-out for UK-specific breaking news. Ultimately, the news events that get people to switch on the channel will still be covered, general hours will be fairly similar to now - the casual viewer probably won't even particularly notice the change.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - EverythingFavs - 26-03-2023

in E, again...[Image: image.png]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 26-03-2023

Good job the BBC1 Bulletin (aka the early evening bulletin) has already happened this time.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 26-03-2023

(26-03-2023, 07:10 PM)EverythingFavs Wrote:  in E, again...[Image: image.png]
Well they might as well make use of E whilst they still can. This time next week, we may well have had the very last bulletin in E until the autumn.