Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - EverythingFavs - 26-03-2023

(26-03-2023, 07:10 PM)EverythingFavs Wrote:  in E, again...[Image: image.png]
And sadly, back in C.[Image: vlcsnap-2023-03-26-20h00m16s452.png]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ViridianFan - 26-03-2023

(26-03-2023, 04:29 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(26-03-2023, 03:54 PM)harshy Wrote:  It’s shown that no one really watches the news channel except for us tv pres enthusiasts otherwise the complaints would have already flooded in.
It's not really that nobody watches the channel, it's just that what people watch it for is the news from the BBC and they've continued to get the news from the BBC - for domestic viewers, with almost exactly the same editorial balance as before. There's no real reason for them to complain.

Post-April, they'll still be getting the news from the BBC - just with (I'd hope) a stronger lean towards international news. And, given what we've seen in the 10:00 hour and interim periods, there's still likely going to be a fairly large amount of UK news, plus you have the special opt-out for UK-specific breaking news. Ultimately, the news events that get people to switch on the channel will still be covered, general hours will be fairly similar to now - the casual viewer probably won't even particularly notice the change.
I think the change has been so gradual in a way that most won’t notice. There was the sudden change when the lockdowns started and it’s never go back. If there had still been things like afternoon live etc and that all suddenly stopped then i think more people would have taken notice and spoken up more. As has been mentioned many times before, most people probably aren’t as aware of all the ins and outs as there’s never been announced a full plan. It’s come out bit by bit. 

Also we haven’t as of yet had any of those events eg a storm, heavy snow or flooding which UK viewers have come to get used to wall to wall coverage which may or may not be the case.

It will also be when stories are being reported on other outlets which the NC would have covered but isn’t covered on the new channel and isn’t important enough for an opt out. It’s also going to be when regional stories which the NC would have covered get ignored, especially if it appears London Centric. 

That’s when you’ll get complaints when what the UK viewer has come to expect isn’t met or if the opt out isn’t to a standard UK viewers are used to. 

Of course we don’t know what any of this will be like until it happens and even then it’s going to need time to settle in. It does all depend on what gets an opt out and way doesn’t and how they work. I am intrigued to see what happens

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ConorW2000 - 27-03-2023

I personally wonder why the BBC dont do something like a 60 second roundup of all the uk news stories perhaps when BBC News goes on an advertising break in non-UK territories.

That for me makes more sense than just playing promos during the ad break for the UK opt outs.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 27-03-2023

Trying to think of what lasts there are this week:

- Thursday 19:00: Final Outside Source
- Thursday 21:00: Final The Context
- Friday 08:00: Final BBC World News bulletin
- Sunday 17:35: Final use of Studio E's original set (not confirmed)
- Sunday 19:15: Final Sport Today
- Monday 02:00 - Final regular overnight shift from London (not confirmed where weekend overnights are coming from)

Obviously, it'll sadly also be the last presenter shifts for some, though, other than the core five, who knows what is happening from next Monday presenter-wise. Is there anything else I've missed?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 27-03-2023

^^^ That's a good and useful list, thanks for making it.

It's strange there isn't any sort of PR announcment about the new schedule, presenters, who will do what and when. Even with such a low key merger, you would expect basics like these to be published in advance.

(27-03-2023, 11:24 AM)ginnyfan Wrote:  It's strange there isn't any sort of PR announcment about the new schedule, presenters, who will do what and when. Even with such a low key merger, you would expect basics like these to be published in advance.
Considering we're now less than one week to the big change, the official radio silence is getting a bit odd - though, given insiders suggest some decisions haven't been finalised and, as you say, a desire for a 'soft' launch, maybe not that surprising.

That said, BBC News press releases are often not published that far in advance. Looking at some of the most recent releases - Context was officially announced the day it was aired and the new 'state of the art' studio was only announced after it had debuted on The One Show. Looking back on TVF, the 2010 World News schedule changes - which launched half-a-dozen new prorammes and altered large parts of the rest of the schedule - were only officially announced a matter of days ahead of launch.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 27-03-2023

Some really interesting comments from former News Channel boss, Kevin Bakhurst who now works at Ofcom...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ofcom-takes-aim-at-bbc-over-news-cuts-d0gfq23f9 

Quote:Setting out the BBC’s operating licence, Kevin Bakhurst said he was concerned about the confusion that has resulted from its decisions to share programming between its local radio network, and to replace BBC News UK and World News with a single channel.

“We’ve been particularly disappointed by the BBC’s lack of detail and clarity about the changes,” he said. “The absence of important information has resulted in a lot of uncertainty for audiences who are not clear about what the changes will mean in practice for the services they use.

Our strict new reporting rules will ensure the BBC is held to a higher level of public accountability, requiring it to clearly explain its plans before going ahead, as well as evaluating whether they work.”

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 27-03-2023

Martine was on 0800-1000 UTC and 1209-1300 UTC (is 9-11 and the World only lunchtime hour).

Does that count as two separate shifts as I thought each newsreader only did one shift a day but I may be wrong.

Thanks

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 27-03-2023

(27-03-2023, 02:01 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Martine was on 0800-1000 UTC and 1209-1300 UTC (is 9-11 and the World only lunchtime hour).

Does that count as two separate shifts as I thought each newsreader only did one shift a day but I may be wrong.

Thanks
That's one of the anomalies that's happened only this month.

(27-03-2023, 02:01 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Martine was on 0800-1000 UTC and 1209-1300 UTC (is 9-11 and the World only lunchtime hour).

No, typically during the interim period the morning 09:00-11:00 presenter also presents the 13:00-14:00 hour on World, with The Context presenter also presenting the 18:00-19:00 hour on World.