Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 27-03-2023

(27-03-2023, 06:10 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  "In the coming weeks, UK viewers will be able to watch Radio 5’s Nicky Campbell Show as a TV programme."

Why would anyone tuning into a TV news channel want to do this though?  (Roll eyes sarcasm)
If they think this works so well, and seeing as there's so much spin around the BBC now being a "digital first" news organisation, make Nicky Campbell's radio phone in available as a live stream on iPlayer and the BBC news website, and leave the TV news channel to report, umm, actual made for TV news......

But it seems Nicky Campbell's phone in will be forced on UK viewers on BBC 2 and BBC News (UK) whether we want it or not, with no option to watch the proper TV news channel between 9 - 11am in a few weeks time.
If the plan was to show it on TV only on BBC Two then it wouldn't be too bad an idea. However, being shown on the news channel feels more like it's being shown primarily to increase UK opt-out hours. I'll try to reserve final judgement until this programme is actually broadcast, though I'm already rather sceptical.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 27-03-2023

(27-03-2023, 06:24 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(27-03-2023, 05:44 PM)DTV Wrote:  [list]
[*]Six core presenters will start in new slots from start of April "although not all of their new programmes will be starting then".
[/list]

Which begs two questions:

1) Who is the sixth core presenter? We only heard about five!

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2023/bbc-tv-news-teams-united-states 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 27-03-2023

(27-03-2023, 06:24 PM)oscillon Wrote:  1) Who is the sixth core presenter? We only heard about five!
Sumi Somaskanda, the senior Washington presenter (originally there were said to be two, but the second hasn't been announced yet).

(27-03-2023, 06:24 PM)oscillon Wrote:  2) "Not all of their new programs" - if we look at the schedule now, none of their new programs start from the beginning of April. So, will there be any that do?
Still a week for schedules to change - some previous changes have only been put on with fairly short notice.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 27-03-2023

If only BBC Newswatch tackles topics before it happen, but it seems they only discuss a topic after it already happened (e.g. "Guide Dogs" endless repeat).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - BlightyExPat - 27-03-2023

(27-03-2023, 06:10 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(27-03-2023, 05:44 PM)DTV Wrote:  Not many new details, but they've published an article that talks a bit about the new channel.

[list]
[*]As already said, no 'big bang' - changes phased in over next few months.
[*]Six core presenters will start in new slots from start of April "although not all of their new programmes will be starting then".
[*]Nicky Campbell will appear "in the coming weeks".
[*]"We will always respond to breaking and developing news in the UK."
[*]More updates and live reporting, plus greater efforts to show how information is verified.
[/list]
"In the coming weeks, UK viewers will be able to watch Radio 5’s Nicky Campbell Show as a TV programme."

Why would anyone tuning into a TV news channel want to do this though?  (Roll eyes sarcasm)
If they think this works so well, and seeing as there's so much spin around the BBC now being a "digital first" news organisation, make Nicky Campbell's radio phone in available as a live stream on iPlayer and the BBC news website, and leave the TV news channel to report, umm, actual made for TV news......

But it seems Nicky Campbell's phone in will be forced on UK viewers on BBC 2 and BBC News (UK) whether we want it or not, with no option to watch the proper TV news channel between 9 - 11am in a few weeks time.

But that's always been the case.... UK viewers of BBC News have always had to watch BBC Breakfast rather than WN. Never understood why we need two channels to air the same programme.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 27-03-2023

Ah, six including Washington team... Which is interesting, as they do not include Singapore and Karishma Vaswani on the list, and if things will be as they are supposed to, DC output on weekdays will be still comparable, if not smaller, than Singapore's.
Indeed, for World feed:
DC does 2200-2230, 0200-0230, 0300-0330, 0400-0430 UKT - 2 full hours in total
Singapore does 2300-2345, 0000-0045, 0100-0145, 0230-0245 UKT - 2 ½ hours in total.

And apparently they axed the final edition of Asia Business Report that was 0330-0345 during summer time - it is no longer in the schedules neither for World feed, nor for UK feed post-April 3rd.

Also, new schedules for UK output says it will carry Asia Business Report three times - at 0030, 0130 and 0230 UKT.

Honestly - outside of the 'chosen' six - the pool of presenters still exists. Even if you do the math and allocate those 6 presenters a slot (VILE ROTA THEORY) - there are way too many shifts to fill.

I'd not assume just because X, Y and Z from Singapore doesn't appear in any literature, doesn't equate to ' they're out'. They just didn't make the 'chosen' few.

Take David Willis for example - he's not been seen on screen so much as he has during this transitionary process - takeaway being he's a likely candidate for fill in.

*Also - James Reynolds presenting WNA wasn't an accident... He's not back in London and has tweeted about it.

GraemeT88 - GraemeT88 - 27-03-2023

They have put new audio on Nicky Campbell radio show today - think in preparation

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 27-03-2023

(27-03-2023, 07:24 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I'd not assume just because X, Y and Z from Singapore doesn't appear in any literature, doesn't equate to ' they're out'. They just didn't make the 'chosen' few.
By no means I did mean that "they're out". I was just saying that if things stay as they are, the DC 'chosen' presenters will be on air less that 'non-chosen' Karishma Vaswani (who sometimes does all five Newsdays a week), unless they plan to utilize them during weekends as well.
Which begs the question as to what the whole Chief Presenter role is about.

(27-03-2023, 07:50 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(27-03-2023, 07:24 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I'd not assume just because X, Y and Z from Singapore doesn't appear in any literature, doesn't equate to ' they're out'. They just didn't make the 'chosen' few.
By no means I did mean that "they're out". I was just saying that if things stay as they are, the DC 'chosen' presenters will be on air less that 'non-chosen' Karishma Vaswani (who sometimes does all five Newsdays a week), unless they plan to utilize them during weekends as well.
Which begs the question as to what the whole Chief Presenter role is about.
I really didn't suggest you did think 'they're out' - my choice of words. 

I won't get started in the 'they're out' subject because I'm trying to avoid using foul language, but I will say I find the chosen  'Six' as a despicable act by the current BBC management. Almost, though not quite, possibly more grotesque than when they 'shelved' the last slew of top news talent when the Ivory/Lowe era commenced.