Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 27-03-2023

(27-03-2023, 07:56 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(27-03-2023, 07:50 PM)oscillon Wrote:  By no means I did mean that "they're out". I was just saying that if things stay as they are, the DC 'chosen' presenters will be on air less that 'non-chosen' Karishma Vaswani (who sometimes does all five Newsdays a week), unless they plan to utilize them during weekends as well.
Which begs the question as to what the whole Chief Presenter role is about.
I really didn't suggest you did think 'they're out' - my choice of words. 

I won't get started in the 'they're out' subject because I'm trying to avoid using foul language, but I will say I find the chosen  'Six' as a despicable act by the current BBC management. Almost, though not quite, possibly more grotesque than when they 'shelved' the last slew of top news talent when the Ivory/Lowe era commenced.
I do find it ever-so-slightly suspect that the presenters chosen to stay on were nearly all World faces anyway. Maybe it just so happened that they performed the best in the recruitment process - I don't know - but on the face of it, it is certainly a little odd.

RE: talent being 'shelved' at the start of the Lowe era - I actually think the worse act was shunting Peter Sissons over to News 24 in 2003. I believe Michael Buerk left of his own accord, so fair enough - but I don't see why Huw couldn't have just slotted in where Buerk left off.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 27-03-2023

(27-03-2023, 07:24 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Honestly - outside of the 'chosen' six - the pool of presenters still exists. Even if you do the math and allocate those 6 presenters a slot (VILE ROTA THEORY) - there are way too many shifts to fill.

I'd not assume just because X, Y and Z from Singapore doesn't appear in any literature, doesn't equate to ' they're out'. They just didn't make the 'chosen' few.

Take David Willis for example - he's not been seen on screen so much as he has during this transitionary process - takeaway being he's a likely candidate for fill in.

*Also - James Reynolds presenting WNA wasn't an accident... He's not back in London and has tweeted about it.

Then how come has he tweeted about the Radio version of OS being back in the newsroom for the first time in 3 years.

https://twitter.com/jamesbbcnews/status/1640321826612998145 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 27-03-2023

I don’t think the bbc internally really supported news 24 it was very much an experiment you can tell from day one it was reliant on bbc world programmes and some bulletins albeit it was arms length back then and with that in mind it did always feel like to myself that If any bbc news service should it disappear it would be the now news channel, so it’s not really surprising the presenters who have been kept on are bbc world news ones.

To be fair despite that, the staff who were part of the news channel did care and did everything they can despite the limited and reducing budget and kept it going for all these years.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 27-03-2023

(27-03-2023, 08:01 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(27-03-2023, 07:56 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I really didn't suggest you did think 'they're out' - my choice of words. 

I won't get started in the 'they're out' subject because I'm trying to avoid using foul language, but I will say I find the chosen  'Six' as a despicable act by the current BBC management. Almost, though not quite, possibly more grotesque than when they 'shelved' the last slew of top news talent when the Ivory/Lowe era commenced.
I do find it ever-so-slightly suspect that the presenters chosen to stay on were nearly all World faces anyway. Maybe it just so happened that they performed the best in the recruitment process - I don't know - but on the face of it, it is certainly a little odd.

RE: talent being 'shelved' at the start of the Lowe era - I actually think the worse act was shunting Peter Sissons over to News 24 in 2003. I believe Michael Buerk left of his own accord, so fair enough - but I don't see why Huw couldn't have just slotted in where Buerk left off.

It stinks of something for sure! I hate to blow the same old tune, but I interviewed Ford, Adie, Rippon and others and it 'was
embedded at the BBC. 

NOT ONE News Channel presenter has survived this 'transient' period to a more digital BBC News.

It's utterly vile!

FYI for those who might need a refresher... and that's just one article. 

**Whereas names such as John Simpson, Lyse Doucet et al still carry the 'age' flag - there is something very suspect about the way new management have approached this new vision.

I should note: Amroliwala is 61. Everyone else's ages are disclosed other than Maryam Moshiri. All under 50!

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2002/sep/05/bbc.tvnews 

According to Peter Sissons, from around ‘97 onwards there was constantly talk of he and Michael Buerk being replaced by Trevor McDonald or Kirsty Young! There was a particularly infamous incident where a reporter asked him about this, to which he quipped “I’m thinking of getting my hair dyed blonde to keep my job!”. Jill Dando was apparently so offended she never spoke to him again.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 27-03-2023

(27-03-2023, 08:01 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I do find it ever-so-slightly suspect that the presenters chosen to stay on were nearly all World faces anyway. Maybe it just so happened that they performed the best in the recruitment process - I don't know - but on the face of it, it is certainly a little odd.
It might seem a bit odd for the stars to align like that, but then they wouldn't by-and-large have already been World's senior presenters if executives didn't already think they were top quality. And you've got to remember there weren't many News channel presenters of similar seniority/prestige in the running - Hill, Myrie and Chakrabarti moved to the network team, Gosling chose not to do it and Croxall likely ruled herself out with her criticism of the project. Brown and McVeigh are only other 'senior' presenters I can think of.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some other issues at play - the salary that was quoted for senior presenter was noticeably higher than that of a News channel presenter, but more in line with senior presenters on BBC World News. If they wanted to retain their key World faces, probably easier if you don't ask them to take a pay cut.

I suppose Hill, Myrie and Chakrabarti were sort of half-Network, half-News Channel anyway, so perhaps it was a foregone conclusion that those three would move full-time to the network team. I am a bit surprised we don’t know where Ben Brown and Annita McVeigh are going, but no doubt we will find out very soon!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 27-03-2023

(27-03-2023, 08:36 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I am a bit surprised we don’t know where Ben Brown and Annita McVeigh are going, but no doubt we will find out very soon!
Would be a shame for Ben Brown not to at least pop up on the first day - he has the distinction of being a reporter on the first ever BBC WSTV News bulletin (along with George Alagiah) and being the first DtL report on News 24.

(27-03-2023, 08:07 PM)harshy Wrote:  I don’t think the bbc internally really supported news 24 it was very much an experiment you can tell from day one it was reliant on bbc world programmes and some bulletins albeit it was arms length back then and with that in mind it did always feel like to myself that If any bbc news service should it disappear it would be the now news channel, so it’s not really surprising the presenters who have been kept on are bbc world news ones.
There were certainly some who were wary of the investment in both News 24 and BBC News Online at the time, but I'm not sure it's really accurate to say that it wasn't supported by executives. It was very heavily promoted from day one and, despite a lot of early struggles, they persisted with it, which they didn't with the other early digital channels. Even in recent years the channel has done relatively well - with proportionally the lowest real-term cuts of any TV channel or radio station. It's certainly not what it was, but I wouldn't say it has been unfairly treated.

Also News 24 didn't really have much overlap with World at the start - Europe Direct was the only shared live news programming at launch, with HARDtalk and USA Direct as the only other shared daily programming. Even a lot of weekend back-half programming was separate to start with.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Transmission - 28-03-2023

(27-03-2023, 04:54 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(27-03-2023, 11:21 AM)DTV Wrote:  Trying to think of what lasts there are this week:

- Thursday 19:00: Final Outside Source
- Thursday 21:00: Final The Context
- Friday 08:00: Final BBC World News bulletin
- Sunday 17:35: Final use of Studio E's original set (not confirmed)
- Sunday 19:15: Final Sport Today
- Monday 02:00 - Final regular overnight shift from London (not confirmed where weekend overnights are coming from)

Obviously, it'll sadly also be the last presenter shifts for some, though, other than the core five, who knows what is happening from next Monday presenter-wise. Is there anything else I've missed?
Friday at 18:00 is likely to be the final BBC World News bulletin, but Monday at 0500 for the UK NC is listed as BBC World News, so this could hint at the full switch over to the single service happening at 9am on Monday.

Just to confirm this - the name change from BBC World News to BBC News is at 09:00 BST on Monday.

From that point, the UK feed becomes an opt of the core channel of what up to that point used to be World News. The UK opts out at the following points on weekdays with everything else following the core schedule:

06:00-09:00 Breakfast

10:30-11:00 BBC News (instead of HARDtalk)

13:00-13:30 BBC News at One
13:30-13:45 Sportsday

17:30-18:00 BBC News (instead of Focus on Africa)
18:00-18:30 BBC News at Six
18:30-19:00 Sportsday

22:00-22:30 BBC News at Ten
22:30-23:10 Newsnight

23:30-00:00 HARDtalk (except Friday: Newswatch and Talking Buisness)

03:30-04:00 Different versions of the same half-hour programmes on the core feed (not sure why - breaks edited out maybe?)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 28-03-2023

Thank you for the insight!

(28-03-2023, 01:23 AM)Transmission Wrote:  13:00-13:30 BBC News at One

13:30-13:45 Sportsday
And what about 13:45 - 14:00? It's weird if they'll be rejoining World at another odd time instead of 1 o'clock presenter doing "Across the UK" thing (which is a very cheap way of boosting 15 mins of UK-specific output).

(28-03-2023, 01:23 AM)Transmission Wrote:  03:30-04:00 Different versions of the same half-hour programmes on the core feed (not sure why - breaks edited out maybe?)
It is strange, they have had Asia Business Report and Sport Today in this slot during summer time on World, including this week. Why axe live output? Or did the five ABR editions + Newsday prove too much for the small team in Singapore to handle (especially if the gallery will be not in London)?