Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 20-12-2022

(17-12-2022, 12:13 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(17-12-2022, 09:08 AM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  “BBC News 24” would solve a multitude of sins........

I suspect there's an element of 'everything should be like when I was in my early-20s' here, but returning to obsolete brands is almost certainly never the answer to a branding issue. Furthermore, all the reasons that News 24 got dropped as a brand still apply - most prominently that is gets frequently shortened to News 24, including by presenters, thus losing the reference to the key BBC and BBC News brands.
The BBC News channel often gets shortened to 'The News Channel' much like what happened with ITV's, so the core part of the brand still gets dropped/lost.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Matrix - 20-12-2022

(20-12-2022, 02:09 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(17-12-2022, 12:13 PM)DTV Wrote:  I suspect there's an element of 'everything should be like when I was in my early-20s' here, but returning to obsolete brands is almost certainly never the answer to a branding issue. Furthermore, all the reasons that News 24 got dropped as a brand still apply - most prominently that is gets frequently shortened to News 24, including by presenters, thus losing the reference to the key BBC and BBC News brands.

But that’s not an argument anymore as the they seem to have dropped the compulsory reference to ‘BBC’ - watch on iPlayer, listen on Sounds to mention but two.
Yet, we all know News 24 isn't making a come back. It detracts from the core service (or product) which is BBC News. I suspect the simple answer here is that, on air, it'll be referenced as the BBC News (TV) channel, in much the same way that the BBC News app is referenced.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 20-12-2022

(20-12-2022, 02:21 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(20-12-2022, 02:09 PM)Moz Wrote:  But that’s not an argument anymore as the they seem to have dropped the compulsory reference to ‘BBC’ - watch on iPlayer, listen on Sounds to mention but two.
Yet, we all know News 24 isn't making a come back. It detracts from the core service (or product) which is BBC News. I suspect the simple answer here is that, on air, it'll be referenced as the BBC News (TV) channel, in much the same way that the BBC News app is referenced.

Yet they’re ok with iPlayer. That doesn’t seem to detract from anything.

News 24 is a strong brand and everyone knows it’s from the BBC.

(20-12-2022, 02:26 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(20-12-2022, 02:21 PM)Matrix Wrote:  Yet, we all know News 24 isn't making a come back. It detracts from the core service (or product) which is BBC News. I suspect the simple answer here is that, on air, it'll be referenced as the BBC News (TV) channel, in much the same way that the BBC News app is referenced.

Yet they’re ok with iPlayer. That doesn’t seem to detract from anything.

Maybe like ten years ago, but it's one which has been moved on from now. Across a range of platforms, the brand has been streamlined to just 'BBC News', which is part of the process with the merger. News 24 would just stick out now.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 20-12-2022

(20-12-2022, 02:28 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(20-12-2022, 02:26 PM)Moz Wrote:  Yet they’re ok with iPlayer. That doesn’t seem to detract from anything.

Maybe like ten years ago, but it's one which has been moved on from now. Across a range of platforms, the brand has been streamlined to just 'BBC News', which is part of the process with the merger. News 24 would just stick out now.
It wouldn't work anyway. The new channel will, from the sounds of it, be really 'bitty' with simulcasts galore - so I'd argue calling it 'News 24' would actually be somewhat deceptive. 

What I would love to see, though, is a return to 'the One/Six/Ten O'Clock News'. Make them stand out once again. Maybe it's just me, but particularly 'News at One' and 'News at Ten' I've always associated with ITV/ITN. I know it will probably never happen, though. It's all about the master brand these days!

(20-12-2022, 02:33 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(20-12-2022, 02:28 PM)Matrix Wrote:  Maybe like ten years ago, but it's one which has been moved on from now. Across a range of platforms, the brand has been streamlined to just 'BBC News', which is part of the process with the merger. News 24 would just stick out now.
It wouldn't work anyway. The new channel will, from the sounds of it, be really 'bitty' with simulcasts galore - so I'd argue calling it 'News 24' would actually be somewhat deceptive. 

What I would love to see, though, is a return to 'the One/Six/Ten O'Clock News'. Make them stand out once again. Maybe it's just me, but particularly 'News at One' and 'News at Ten' I've always associated with ITV/ITN. I know it will probably never happen, though. It's all about the master brand these days!
Yeah, although, to be fair, I think part of the rational behind the move to a separate studio for the 6/10 (for now) has been to create a space which allows a difference in the approach to telling stories. I definitely think there is more ahead to go but it does make the 6/10 stand out - a bit.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 20-12-2022

It honestly never ceases to amaze me how many forumers are still hung up about two numerals that were dropped from the channel a decade-and-a-half ago. Seriously, let it go. The channel has been known as BBC News for nearly 50% longer than it was called BBC News 24, even higher when you weight for viewer hours.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 20-12-2022

(20-12-2022, 02:38 PM)DTV Wrote:  It honestly never ceases to amaze me how many forumers are still hung up about two numerals that were dropped from the channel a decade-and-a-half ago. Seriously, let it go. The channel has been known as BBC News for nearly 50% longer than it was called BBC News 24, even higher when you weight for viewer hours.

Not hung up about it. It’s just a neater solution to the “what do we call this channel” than “the BBC News Channel” which is clunky as hell.

To me it doesn’t matter how long ago it was used, or how long it was used for. I’m not hankering for it, it’s just a decent brand name.

(20-12-2022, 02:46 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(20-12-2022, 02:38 PM)DTV Wrote:  It honestly never ceases to amaze me how many forumers are still hung up about two numerals that were dropped from the channel a decade-and-a-half ago. Seriously, let it go. The channel has been known as BBC News for nearly 50% longer than it was called BBC News 24, even higher when you weight for viewer hours.

Not hung up about it. It’s just a neater solution to the “what do we call this channel” than “the BBC News Channel” which is clunky as hell.

To me it doesn’t matter how long ago it was used, or how long it was used for. I’m not hankering for it, it’s just a decent brand name.

I agree there is a 'clunky-iness' to 'BBC News Channel' yet only a quick google search shows up how 'News 24' is now a brand used in South Africa, Japan, and India, to name a few. Whilst it might once have had a close connection to the BBC News brand, that's become a lot more fragmented in recent years. Given that the new channel will need to straddle both UK and International audiences I still think that 'BBC News' as a title, and 'Channel' as a descriptor, if needed, is the easiest way forward.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - itsrobert - 20-12-2022

I think the new channel should be called BBC World News 24.

I'll get my coat........

Anyway, I'm not particularly bothered anymore as I couldn't really care less about TV in general these days, but dropping "News 24" as the name in 2008 was a mistake. As has been proved, the rationale was flawed as people still drop 'BBC' from all sorts of things like iPlayer etc. And referring to it as the "News Channel" is actually worse than "News 24". At least back then, News 24 was a fairly well know BBC brand, whereas "the News Channel" could be absolutely anything.

I could understand the reasoning behind changing BBC World to BBC World News, though. BBC World was a real mix of output from news to current affairs, documentaries and lifestyle programming. The change in name came at a time when they decided to drop everything bar news, so that made complete sense.

I do think that the new channel should probably just be called the "BBC News" channel (to differentiate it from the "BBC News" app or "BBC News" website) as anything else would be too complicated as it's going to be broadcasting worldwide. It's just a shame knowing that they could have got away with keeping the News 24 brand a bit longer than they did.