Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 28-03-2023

Silly question what is Studio J and any examples of its use ?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 28-03-2023

(28-03-2023, 02:29 PM)DTV Wrote:  20 years ago, News 24 used to fit 15-18 stories in the front half-hour, even if just in brief. Sometimes today, even on fairly slow news days, you get half-hours where only three or four stories are covered at all. And when it's that sluggish, I just turn off. Ideally, you'd have the happy medium between the two extremes that you had about ten years ago - a decent number of stories, with analysis on the main ones (ideally from BBC correspondents and experts, rather than from pundits).

Hopefully, the 'more updates' in yesterday's article refers to a slightly pacier format. Ideally, they'd also reformat The Context to include some actual decent explainer segments (as per Outside Source) - you know, to actually give some context.
Was the high story count not a casualty of Delivering Quality First? I seem to recall one of the tenets of that was that the news channels would cover fewer stories per hour, but in greater depth. It would seem to make sense that fewer stories covered = fewer teams/people needed.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 28-03-2023

Just to answer the two above posts, Studio J is the balcony studio.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 28-03-2023

(28-03-2023, 06:55 PM)DTV Wrote:  Just to answer the two above posts, Studio J is the balcony studio.
Oh, right! For some reason I thought it was the pokey little virtual studio BBC London used to use. In that case @Newsroom is right - can’t complain at all if the UK breakouts are to be done from the balcony.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 28-03-2023

(28-03-2023, 06:55 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Was the high story count not a casualty of Delivering Quality First? I seem to recall one of the tenets of that was that the news channels would cover fewer stories per hour, but in greater depth. It would seem to make sense that fewer stories covered = fewer teams/people needed.
I think it was more Lambert than DQF - i.e., when the channel moved to being more focussed on breaking and developing news than just what the news was - but the 'slow down' in pace is something that has been fairly gradual over time and I expect part of it is, as you say, cost-related. Even then, though, there's no need for it to be as slow as it is - things like News in Brief segments don't cost and there must be more than a handful of VT reports going around.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 28-03-2023

Another thought sprang to my mind regarding the Context being extended to two hours. First half of the 8pm hour is re-broadcast on PBS, now branded as Outside Source. What will happen to that? I'm not sure PBS will be eager to take a panel talk show in place of a newscast. However, here lies the hope that at least first half an hour will be more or less a regular newscast.
(Although when clocks between US and the UK went out of sync, PBS had to take Newsday instead of 2am BBC News, so may be they are not that discerning.)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 28-03-2023

With Studio C having tons of problems recently... from missing graphics to tickers getting stuck to technical breakdowns that took the entire studio down...

I feel like the relaunch is just one technical breakdown away from turning into a disaster, since Studio C is going to be fully utilized 24/7 starting Monday while E gets renovated.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - CATV - 28-03-2023

Didn't someone say Studi E not getting renovated till later this year? So if all goes wrong they can use Studio E for now?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 28-03-2023

https://streamable.com/43e2ck 
Geeta Guru-Murthy just subtly confirmed OS will be cancelled on Monday at today's outro:
"We are back at the same time tomorrow for a couple more days this week on OS, thanks for being with us, bye bye for now."

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Alx321 - 28-03-2023

(28-03-2023, 07:38 PM)ALV Wrote:  With Studio C having tons of problems recently... from missing graphics to tickers getting stuck to technical breakdowns that took the entire studio down...

I feel like the relaunch is just one technical breakdown away from turning into a disaster, since Studio C is going to be fully utilized 24/7 starting Monday while E gets renovated.
Is there a chance with all these recent breakdowns they will abandon their plans to use C and use A for the main channel and D for UK opts?