Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 20-12-2022

(20-12-2022, 07:39 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  Anyway, I'm not particularly bothered anymore as I couldn't really care less about TV in general these days, but dropping "News 24" as the name in 2008 was a mistake. As has been proved, the rationale was flawed as people still drop 'BBC' from all sorts of things like iPlayer etc. And referring to it as the "News Channel" is actually worse than "News 24". At least back then, News 24 was a fairly well know BBC brand, whereas "the News Channel" could be absolutely anything.

But presenters don't on air call it 'the News channel' in the same way that they often dropped the BBC and called it just 'News 24', which was one of the issues correctly identified by branding experts. I also can't say I've ever really read or heard anybody call BBC News 'the News channel', except within threads on this forum and its predecessors when talking about different BBC News services.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 20-12-2022

(20-12-2022, 07:50 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(20-12-2022, 07:39 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  Anyway, I'm not particularly bothered anymore as I couldn't really care less about TV in general these days, but dropping "News 24" as the name in 2008 was a mistake. As has been proved, the rationale was flawed as people still drop 'BBC' from all sorts of things like iPlayer etc. And referring to it as the "News Channel" is actually worse than "News 24". At least back then, News 24 was a fairly well know BBC brand, whereas "the News Channel" could be absolutely anything.

But presenters don't on air call it 'the News channel' in the same way that they often dropped the BBC and called it just 'News 24', which was one of the issues correctly identified by branding experts. I also can't say I've ever really read or heard anybody call BBC News 'the News channel', except within threads on this forum and its predecessors when talking about different BBC News services.
Ahem! Martine does which is why this conversation is ongoing. Just saying! ;-)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 23-12-2022

Looks like World and the NC are now in full simulcast mode from today, presumably until 3rd January - joint 26 min bulletins from C with World headline sequences at TOTH and BOTH this morning.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Roger Darthwell - 23-12-2022

(23-12-2022, 12:19 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Looks like World and the NC are now in full simulcast mode from today, presumably until 3rd January - joint 26 min bulletins from C with World headline sequences at TOTH and BOTH this morning.

It's a rehersal for next April

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 23-12-2022

(23-12-2022, 12:27 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(23-12-2022, 12:19 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Looks like World and the NC are now in full simulcast mode from today, presumably until 3rd January - joint 26 min bulletins from C with World headline sequences at TOTH and BOTH this morning.

It's a rehersal for next April

Any chance of us getting BBC1 bulletins between now and then or is the news channel stuck with the same thing we have had for the past 2 Christmases

(23-12-2022, 01:09 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(23-12-2022, 12:27 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  It's a rehersal for next April

Any chance of us getting BBC1 bulletins between now and then or is the news channel stuck with the same thing we have had for the past 2 Christmases

Even if there are no BBC 1 bulletins on the NC over the next 11 days, you can still see BBC 1 bulletins over on..........BBC 1

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 23-12-2022

(23-12-2022, 01:18 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(23-12-2022, 01:09 PM)News76 Wrote:  Any chance of us getting BBC1 bulletins between now and then or is the news channel stuck with the same thing we have had for the past 2 Christmases

Even if there are no BBC 1 bulletins on the NC over the next 11 days, you can still see BBC 1 bulletins over on..........BBC 1
Not good enough for news channel viewers who want a proper choice between NC and world.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Roger Darthwell - 23-12-2022

(23-12-2022, 01:42 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(23-12-2022, 01:18 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Even if there are no BBC 1 bulletins on the NC over the next 11 days, you can still see BBC 1 bulletins over on..........BBC 1
Not good enough for news channel viewers who want a proper choice between NC and world.
We just have to get used to it

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Matrix - 23-12-2022

(23-12-2022, 01:18 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Even if there are no BBC 1 bulletins on the NC over the next 11 days, you can still see BBC 1 bulletins over on..........BBC 1

Wait until you hear about the plans for a merger...  Wink

Simulcasting the same program on BBC 1 and the NC is the opposite of choice for UK viewers. Want to see a domestic bulletin? - watch BBC 1. Want to see a joint World & UK bulletin, or rolling coverage of a developing story - watch the NC. 

Simulcasting BBC 1 bulletins on the NC is a throwback to 2006/07 when BBC News managers had the idea that BBC 1 bulletins would eventually become a 'drop-in' to the NC. Simulcasts of course then became a necessity from 2008 when the NC and BBC 1 bulletins moved into the same studio. 

But these ideas have long since been dropped and now we're going down the route of the NC and World becoming a single service and BBC 1 bulletins staying separate, with the 6 & 10 going back to having their own studio, to me it makes more sense to NOT simulcast BBC 1 bulletins on the NC, especially when they are not at standard times of 1pm, 6pm and 10pm and so disrupt the usual NC hourly schedule.