Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 31-03-2023

So Paul Royall on Newswatch, in all seriousness and with a completely straight face, describes the UK simulcasts of Breakfast, Nicky Campbell's phone-in (and he did describe it as a "phone-in"), the 1, 6 & 10 and Newsnight on the new channel as "that's 7.5 hours of premium, UK facing programming and content built in every weekday....."

I did at that point wonder if I was actually watching an episode of W1A.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 31-03-2023

(31-03-2023, 10:05 PM)DTV Wrote:  To be fair, he's from the editorial side of things - might not necessarily be on top of the finances behind it. The figure quoted by other sources was that the merger would save roughly £25m on the UK side (around 40% of the current NC budget - though, worth noting, this still doesn't even put BBC News' budget cuts in the top three worst affected channels!).
So why not just admit "we've got rid of the domestic channel"?

He promised us we'll get simulcasts of what is already available elsewhere in the UK on the BBC, including radio. When this was questioned, he simply said "people take their news from different sources, including the News Channel".

I appreciate how they're trying to spin this, but I doubt people are swallowing it!  Telling me I've got 7.5 hours of daily domestic-focused news on 'The New BBC News Channel' is rather like sending me an email twice and claiming that they're special or different.

I already have access to it, I don't need it to be broadcast TWICE! Peddling it as a seperate service for 7.5 hours a day is disingenuous to say the least.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Andrew - 31-03-2023

(31-03-2023, 09:39 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Paul Royall on Newswatch was possibly the worst interview he's ever given.

I just can't see this working. H was nervous, bumbled and it really didn't tell us very much.
He was having to defend the indefensible really. Mentioning how there will be a World feed and a Domestic feed, but then listing the only planned differences on the latter will be Breakfast, One, Six, Ten etc, which Samira correctly pointed out is already available on BBC One

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 31-03-2023

Almost 6 minutes of trailers just before 11pm. Is this a record?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 31-03-2023

The lack of transparency is still pretty staggering, especially from a public service broadcaster. There's only 3 days to go and a senior figure in News is as vague about the channel as when Tim Davie was questioned about the proposed changes at the DCMS Committee last year! 

They're selling this in the few statements that have emerged as a "new channel", not a takeover of World News or the News channel etc. "a new channel with two streams". This flagship channel will launch next week... but in the 10+ year old 'being read its last rights' World News studio, which is starting to suffer from technical faults and failures, with what will likely be a washed out lifeless fake newsroom backdrop with 16-year-old titles to boot and will be either a) hacked to pieces again to work with the Chameleon branding and/or b) bodged to b*ggery, like the long news channel titles... complete with BBC World News presenters. How is that a new channel?

I have nothing against anyone working on the new channel behind the scenes but it all sounds a bit thrown together!

With so much time to plan things surely they could've coordinated the new studio, titles etc to go live, you know, on the same day! As the late great (and I believe should've been an OBE) Martin Lambie-Nairn once said, "there's always going to be a PR issue". If the BBC need to find money from somewhere to do something, they usually do! No other broadcaster (or business) in the World would launch a new product or service like this.

I, we, everyone wishes they'd just be honest and upfront and say it's BBC World News with a few dedicated hours and opts for UK coverage.

Do you suppose some of the planning meetings for the new channel have been a bit like this? Trigger's broom springs to mind.  Big Grin

https://youtu.be/LAh8HryVaeY 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 31-03-2023

I really don't get the continued expectations that it'll be a rebadged BBC World News. I feel like the interim period could have been 100% UK news and people here would still be fretting that UK news was going to get cut loose - it very clearly isn't.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 31-03-2023

(31-03-2023, 11:31 PM)DTV Wrote:  I really don't get the continued expectations that it'll be a rebadged BBC World News. I feel like the interim period could have been 100% UK news and people here would still be fretting that UK news was going to get cut loose - it very clearly isn't.

Because the channel is launching in studio C (which is pretty much being read its last rights in terms of equipment failures) with BBC World News presenters to boot talking about the UK Finance Minister, plus legacy BBC World News branded segments such as World Business Report. 

The core/main feed is clearly the 'Global stream' with the ability for the UK to opt out of that. Not the other way around. So it will likely be BBC World News being broadcast in the UK, with a few domestic stories thrown in and the Around the UK feature filler while World News is running adverts.

How the channel will be described on other outlets will be interesting though. They can't signpost to 'The BBC News channel' as that doesn't really exist anymore and 'BBC News' is the brand as well as a channel (and department within the corporation).

I do wonder how long it'll be before one of the presenters accidentally says 'BBC World News' on the channel! Took a while to shake off the News 24 references in 2008. I give it by the end of the first day.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 01-04-2023

(31-03-2023, 11:47 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Because the channel is launching in studio C (which is pretty much being read its last rights in terms of equipment failures) with BBC World News presenters to boot talking about the UK Finance Minister, plus legacy BBC World News branded segments such as World Business Report. 

The core/main feed is clearly the 'Global stream' with the ability for the UK to opt out of that. Not the other way around. So it will likely be BBC World News being broadcast in the UK, with a few domestic stories thrown in and the Around the UK feature filler while World News is running adverts.
Which studio it comes from and who is presenting doesn't really matter. Every stage of the phasing in of the merged channel has had far more UK news on it than the pessimists on here predicted - the last 'interim' month hasn't even been a compromise position, holding a broadly similar UK-World lean to the former News channel. There is so much precedent that UK news is hardly going to be underserved, that the idea they're going to go full 2010-era World News from next Monday just seems highly unlikely.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 01-04-2023

(31-03-2023, 11:47 PM)Worzel Wrote:  I do wonder how long it'll be before one of the presenters accidentally says 'BBC World News' on the channel! Took a while to shake off the News 24 references in 2008. I give it by the end of the first day.
Many presenters are still calling it just 'BBC World', so they didn't grasp the change to 'World News' within the last decade.

I think you're going to be often disappointed before the mid 2030s.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - CF1 - 01-04-2023

Samira Ahmed also said at the end of Newswatch that it will be moving to a new timeslot on the "new" channel when Newswatch returns after Easter - 11:30pm on Fridays, aka a graveyard slot.