Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 31-12-2022

(31-12-2022, 01:54 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  And if there is a breaking UK news story at 8pm on a Thursday or midday on a Sunday?

Well, currently on Thursdays at 8pm is Outside Source, which I believe is a simulcast. I can't remember the last time there was a UK opt-out for a major UK item around this time, since the evening simulcasts began.

Similarly I get the impression a lot of the weekend (daytime) content is now already a simulcast.

I suspect part of the reason for merging the existing News Channel and World News into a new 'BBC News' channel is so that in event of major breaking news they don't feel as obliged to consider non-UK viewers.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bbctvtechop - 31-12-2022

(31-12-2022, 02:16 PM)Keith Wrote:  
(31-12-2022, 01:54 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  And if there is a breaking UK news story at 8pm on a Thursday or midday on a Sunday?

Well, currently on Thursdays at 8pm is Outside Source, which I believe is a simulcast. I can't remember the last time there was a UK opt-out for a major UK item around this time, since the evening simulcasts began.

Similarly I get the impression a lot of the weekend (daytime) content is now already a simulcast.

I suspect part of the reason for merging the existing News Channel and World News into a new 'BBC News' channel is so that in event of major breaking news they don't feel as obliged to consider non-UK viewers.

The correct answer is "if there is UK breaking news outside those hours, it won't be covered - or will be covered at the expense of World viewers".

This is why having a international and domestic news channel combined will never work. Better prey no Prime Minister scandal ever breaks at the same time as a massive earthquake in Asia. Or a massive UK weather event at the same time as a terrorist attack in the USA. After all, the DG said to the Parliamentary enquiry that people would be in the building ready to go on air. They wouldn't need to be called up or travel in from anywhere.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 31-12-2022

(31-12-2022, 02:39 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(31-12-2022, 02:16 PM)Keith Wrote:  Well, currently on Thursdays at 8pm is Outside Source, which I believe is a simulcast. I can't remember the last time there was a UK opt-out for a major UK item around this time, since the evening simulcasts began.

The correct answer is "if there is UK breaking news outside those hours, it won't be covered - or will be covered at the expense of World viewers".
Is that any different to what we've had for the past years though, thanks to the previous round of cuts?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 31-12-2022

Good grief I can’t cope with the level of hyperbole here. The channel is one small part of the wider BBC News operation. They aren’t shutting the whole organisation down.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - cityprod - 31-12-2022

(31-12-2022, 05:56 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Good grief I can’t cope with the level of hyperbole here. The channel is one small part of the wider BBC News operation. They aren’t shutting the whole organisation down.

They've gradually wound down BBC News, to where it is a mere shadow of its former self.  It feels like they are putting less effort into the BBC News channel, than RTE do with their News Now service.  And BBC have way more money available to them even now.

At one time, BBC News felt like the engine room of the whole BBC.  Now it feels like an unloved red-headed stepchild that they just can't admit is the unloved red-headed stepchild and still want to pretend is the powerhouse it used to be.  That's what makes the current BBC News situation hurt so much.  We know they can be far better than this, but they just don't seem to care.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 31-12-2022

(31-12-2022, 09:26 PM)cityprod Wrote:  
(31-12-2022, 05:56 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Good grief I can’t cope with the level of hyperbole here. The channel is one small part of the wider BBC News operation. They aren’t shutting the whole organisation down.

They've gradually wound down BBC News, to where it is a mere shadow of its former self.  It feels like they are putting less effort into the BBC News channel, than RTE do with their News Now service.  And BBC have way more money available to them even now.

At one time, BBC News felt like the engine room of the whole BBC.  Now it feels like an unloved red-headed stepchild that they just can't admit is the unloved red-headed stepchild and still want to pretend is the powerhouse it used to be.  That's what makes the current BBC News situation hurt so much.  We know they can be far better than this, but they just don't seem to care.

That is so sad for an organisation that used to be regarded as the rolls Royce of broadcasters around the world. In other words one everyone loved and respected.

It certainly doesn't feel like that today.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Andrew - 31-12-2022

(31-12-2022, 01:54 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(31-12-2022, 01:50 PM)Keith Wrote:  With the merger in general I think the best hope is for a u-turn on the weekday daytime proposed changes. Ideally allowing for UK opt-outs between 9am and 6pm on weekdays. Currently weekdays 7pm to 6am is almost already a simulcast, and will be more so once The Papers ceases.

I think utilising their international studios overnight makes sense. It means they can save money by only pay those staff normal daytime rates, instead of overnight pay / rest time. Additionally, compared to even a decade ago high speed fibre internet presumably makes it easier to connect and work with international studios.

Hopefully the idea of a simulcast of 5 Live as a UK opt-out has/will be dropped. Doing that for just BBC Two would be better. However, also putting it on the news channel is bad, as if nothing else it means in the UK the same content could be viewed live via two TV channels and one radio station.

And if there is a breaking UK news story at 8pm on a Thursday or midday on a Sunday?

Presumably if it’s the right type of story (such as Westminster bubble stuff) they will cover it at length, like they have done in the past few years, and world viewers will be left wondering what’s going on

It’s the lesser breaking news, like UK weather, or something happening outside London, which I think will be the obvious ones which don’t get as much coverage

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - steve - 31-12-2022

Absolutely this. Ask the vast majority of people about BBC television news and they will think about Breakfast, the 1, 6 and 10. That’s where the viewers are. 

And those bulletins (the 6 & 10) have had more investment and more attention than for a long time in the past year - a dedicated studio, giving a real injection of freshness to the presentation and setting them apart again as flagships. 

Breakfast will move into a new space in 2023 as well. 

So, yes, it’s never a good thing to be losing output and services degrading but at a time when there simply is much less money, it seems to me they’re investing in the right places - where the majority of viewers are.

I think after their exemplary handling of the death of QEII, for example, perceptions of BBC News as a brand among the general population are probably the strongest they’ve been for some time.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 31-12-2022

Breakfast is simulcast from bbc1 from Salford.

So what is happening to breakfast?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 31-12-2022

(31-12-2022, 11:29 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Breakfast is simulcast from bbc1 from Salford.

So what is happening to breakfast?
They are moving to share with Sport in a newly refurbished space on the Ground Floor of Quay House.