Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 01-01-2023

(31-12-2022, 11:42 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(31-12-2022, 11:29 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Breakfast is simulcast from bbc1 from Salford.

So what is happening to breakfast?
They are moving to share with Sport in a newly refurbished space on the Ground Floor of Quay House.

Thanks. Do they won't be upstairs any more in NWT studio?
I remember a broadcast on 5 live before the election one year and Breakfast studio was upstairs and 5 Live was downstairs so what happens to NWT?

When is that happening?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 01-01-2023

(31-12-2022, 09:26 PM)cityprod Wrote:  At one time, BBC News felt like the engine room of the whole BBC. Now it feels like an unloved red-headed stepchild that they just can't admit is the unloved red-headed stepchild and still want to pretend is the powerhouse it used to be. That's what makes the current BBC News situation hurt so much. We know they can be far better than this, but they just don't seem to care.
I think there's some truth to BBC News long feeling like the engine room of the whole BBC, and this isn't something that's always been seen in a good way. There's definitely a perception among some people working in other parts of the BBC, particularly the entertainment sector, that BBC News is the executive's darling and has been treated with undue favouritism when it comes to cutbacks. 

And it's hard not to see a point there - since 2007 in real terms BBC One has seen a budget cut of nearly a third, BBC Two's budget has been halved and BBC Three and Four have lost three-quarters of their income. By comparison, the BBC News channel has only seen a real budget cut of 9%, while network news has been largely ringfenced or seen increased investment.

Would it be better if the merger wasn't happening? Yes, but a) the BBC's finances are in a dire shape (yes, through circumstances not of its own making) and b) it's hard not to look at what has happened to BBC Two (for instance) in the last decade and feel that BBC News is being unfairly treated. Especially when, as David Mitchell articulated on HIGNFY, 'when people think of what they love about the BBC, it isn't the news'.

Despite what some members on here seem to think, there just aren't many tears shed about the News channel merger (apart from those who are unfortunately losing their jobs). And to be honest I don't see why would there be - it's got a low reach (only about 1 in 10 TV viewers use the service); it doesn't really provide any unique functions, with everything the channel does also being done by another BBC service; and, to the casual viewer, it will largely be the same after the merger.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 01-01-2023

How do we know it’s got a low reach, it’s on practically every platform I think, ie where is the one in ten figure come from ?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 10:51 AM)harshy Wrote:  How do we know it’s got a low reach, it’s on practically every platform I think, ie where is the one in ten figure come from ?
The figure comes from the BBC Annual Report and reach refers to 'UK population who use the service (for more than fifteen minutes) on average per week'. When widened to just 3 minutes with the service, the figure is still only 13%. It's not nothing, but it's very clearly a low use service and one that doesn't particularly carry out any unique functions at that.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 12:09 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  
(31-12-2022, 11:42 PM)Stuart Wrote:  They are moving to share with Sport in a newly refurbished space on the Ground Floor of Quay House.
Thanks. Do they won't be upstairs any more in NWT studio?
I remember a broadcast on 5 live before the election one year and Breakfast studio was upstairs and 5 Live was downstairs so what happens to NWT?

When is that happening?
It's not for a few months yet, as the new shared space with Sport is still being completed.  The current plan is that they will no longer be sharing with NWT up on the second floor.

There is an existing thread further down the 'News and Sport Presentation' part of the forum with some pictures.

RE: BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present - Clean Feed - 01-01-2023

https://twitter.com/cleanfeed_ttvr/status/1609595151390760962?s=20&t=PM0M9Y71qc6wyxiEM1OY0Q 

RE: BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present - DTV - 01-01-2023

Just to nip it in the bud because I know it's a matter of minutes before somebody posts 'how can you run a news channel on five presenters' and we don't want to have the discussion for the fourteenth time...

The new channel will not have *just* five presenters. There will be five London-based presenters who have no other duties and are solely allocated to the channel. In addition to this there will be eight London-based presenter-reporters, i.e. those who also have editorial and/or reporting responsbilities (presumably as per Atkins and Hakim at present) and several Washington and Singapore-based presenters. As present, I expect that freelance and certain primarily BBC One presenters will also appear on the channel when needed and I presume that the mysteriously defined UK opt service would require at least one or two additional presenters.

RE: BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present - thePineapple - 01-01-2023

Indeed, though I fear quite a few people will lose their jobs.

I think who stays will say something about the direction the channel wants to go in.

RE: BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present - harshy - 01-01-2023

It dosent say if it’s bbc news channel or world news presenters ? It would be a joke if this is true there are all established and fantastic presenters.

RE: BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present - Chud - 01-01-2023

Who are considered “BBC One presenters” these days? 
Huw, Fiona, Sophie, Reeta, Clive, Jane and Ben?