Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present - DTV - 02-01-2023

(02-01-2023, 03:40 PM)Keith Wrote:  Based on 5 presenters it feels like they might be aiming for UK shifts along the lines of...
- Weekdays 9am to 1pm
- Weekdays 1 to 5pm
- Weekends 9am to 1pm
- Weekends 1pm to 5pm

Presumably after 5pm it'll be a mix of Washington, Singapore, and possibly some presenter-reporters from London (assuming Outside Source and The Context remain).

This is quite different from what I'm expecting. My expectation is that the eight 'presenter-reporters' are more likely to be the 'headliners' (as per Hakim and Atkins at present) and the five just presenters are going to be the ones with more flexibile shifts. I also would be very surprised if they restricted London to just eight hours a day as 'from London' still has some draw for World and the level of investment talked about for Washington (I don't think Singapore is getting much more) wouldn't be enough to carry the channel for more than a couple of shifts per day.

On weekdays I'm expecting something more on the lines of four/five shifts from London from 05:/06:00 to between 19:00 and 21:00, then a shift from Washington, one from Singapore and then another from Washington. Even with five Mon-Thurs three-hour London shifts and four Fri-Sun four-hour London shifts, you'd only need nine of the London-based presenter pool on air per week.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newshound47 - 02-01-2023

I wonder if we will end up after the inevitable backlash poor coverage of some stories will bring with something like a Five Live simulcast over some feed images of certain domestic only events occurring.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 02-01-2023

(02-01-2023, 04:11 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(02-01-2023, 11:56 AM)Stuart Wrote:  If there was suddenly a story of huge domestic interest, where rolling coverage wasn't appropriate for the international audience, then surely they would break into the BBC One schedule and continue using BBC News resources around the UK.

That was always the case before we had the NC. It worked very well back in the day.
Sure. Using which presenter, which studio, which crew, which producers, which resources? Are those people sitting around 24/7 just in case?
Obviously I don't know what the situation would be, but during the week do they not have the production team for the 1, 6 and 10 already in work and could call people in early to fire up Studio B?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - qwerty123 - 02-01-2023

(02-01-2023, 04:11 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(02-01-2023, 11:56 AM)Stuart Wrote:  If there was suddenly a story of huge domestic interest, where rolling coverage wasn't appropriate for the international audience, then surely they would break into the BBC One schedule and continue using BBC News resources around the UK.

That was always the case before we had the NC. It worked very well back in the day.
Sure. Using which presenter, which studio, which crew, which producers, which resources? Are those people sitting around 24/7 just in case?

Of course you don't need people sitting around 24/7, especially given there has been no opportuntiy to opt overnight for at least several years and nobody is calling for this ability to return.
Given the current plans you would probably only need to have the ability to opt unscheduled between 14:00 and 22:00 Monday-Thursday, 11:00-22:00 Friday and 10:00-22:00 Saturday and Sunday. This could largely be resourced by a combination of those working on prerecorded content that isn't needed for immediate broadcast (or that could be dropped without to much bother), those working on human interest stories that aren't time sensitive, and the business team whose scheduled updates on the combined channel could be covered by the main presenter to allow the business presenter to lead the UK coverage.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - agentsquash - 03-01-2023

Is it the plan that the new combined channel has E as the permanent home or C?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Clean Feed - 03-01-2023

https://twitter.com/cleanfeed_ttvr/status/1610063745002217473 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 03-01-2023

(03-01-2023, 01:08 AM)Clean Feed Wrote:  https://twitter.com/cleanfeed_ttvr/status/1610063745002217473 

Since 2013? There's been a late night Paper review on the BBC NC for much longer than that. I remember watching a nightly Paper review with Peter Dobbie on News 24 around 2004/05, and when the Ten started being simulcast on News 24 in 2006, there was the '10 O'Clock News hour' that had a nightly Paper review with Chris Eakin.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 03-01-2023

(03-01-2023, 01:20 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(03-01-2023, 01:08 AM)Clean Feed Wrote:  https://twitter.com/cleanfeed_ttvr/status/1610063745002217473 

Since 2013? There's been a late night Paper review on the BBC NC for much longer than that. I remember watching a nightly Paper review with Peter Dobbie on News 24 around 2004/05, and when the Ten started being simulcast on News 24 in 2006, there was the '10 O'Clock News hour' that had a nightly Paper review with Chris Eakin.

I presume they mean ‘The Papers’ has had its own scheduled slot and branding and music since 2013. You’re right they’ve had a paper review for much longer than that, possibly circa 2002.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Frances - 03-01-2023

(02-01-2023, 01:30 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Has it been said what will air on BBC Two between 9am and Politics Live, is that going to be the World News channel as well?
It’s been said that Nicky Campbell’s 5 Live show will be on BBC2 and the NC’s UK output, according to the very first statement.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Universal_r - 03-01-2023

Is there a reason they’re giving extra work to Washington instead of keeping it in London? Is it cheaper? Is it political?