Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

Newshound47 - Newshound47 - 03-01-2023

(03-01-2023, 01:21 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Which makes the decision to continue simulcasting Breakfast on the domestic version even harder to understand. I mean, now when they are supposed to become one channel, this was a unique chance to actually have proper news bulletins on the UK version in the early morning hours, something they never had. Same for national bulletins, why not just have the bulletin that's gonna air on the international version at those times?

The signed bulletin would be a very controversial loss.

RE: Newshound47 - Matrix - 03-01-2023

(03-01-2023, 01:58 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(03-01-2023, 01:21 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Which makes the decision to continue simulcasting Breakfast on the domestic version even harder to understand. I mean, now when they are supposed to become one channel, this was a unique chance to actually have proper news bulletins on the UK version in the early morning hours, something they never had. Same for national bulletins, why not just have the bulletin that's gonna air on the international version at those times?

The signed bulletin would be a very controversial loss.

As far as I'm aware, the signed bull is staying (although I wouldn't be totally surprised if this is moved over to iPlayer).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 03-01-2023

(03-01-2023, 01:50 PM)Chud Wrote:  My impression was that BBC News would have their own output 24/7 and then would simulcast Brekafast, 1/6/10 on the UK domestic feed only.
Pretty much. The UK version of the channel will opt for simulcasts of Breakfast, One, Six and Ten, as well for a visualisation of Nicky Campbell. Some releases have suggested that other network output will also be simulcast and the original plans are for certain other radio content to be visualised at a later date. The UK service will also opt to cover certain live UK news events (press conferences, speeches, etc.) and will supposedly have the ability to opt for UK breaking/developing news stories (though the extent to which this will happen has never been explained in any depth). It was also implied that during things such as general election campaigns additional UK opts will occur.

I can really see this angle but I am really waiting for the final plans. If the UK-opt is to be rarely used and other UK news is lacklustre or badly mixed in, then I'd much rather they did go all in on the international news channel route and ditch the simulcasts. If the UK-opt is to be used regularly or even if the final plans include some permanent separated UK-only output, I can see the merits of continuity with the current set-up, at least for now.

(03-01-2023, 01:58 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  The signed bulletin would be a very controversial loss.
Though, of course, no reason that the signed bulletin has to be a network bulletin. The 13:00 hour was signed before News 24 started taking the One.

Newshound47 - Newshound47 - 03-01-2023

Though that equally would be controversial- losing a domestic signed bulletin for one that has to be made for a international audience excluding stories that many license fee payers would want to be signed.

It could be that most of the opt outs for UK stories are visualisations of Radio 5 Live combined with feed footage/static cameras.

Admin edit: to remove excessive quoted blocks.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chris - 03-01-2023

Why aren’t all the simulcast network bulletins signed? If you want to watch full screen, switch to BBC One.

Seems a bit counterintuitive to me to sign the lunchtime bulletin when lots of people hard of hearing will be out at work.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 03-01-2023

Breakfast was carried on BBC world on the day if the Grenfell Tower fire in 2017 and when the Queen died.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 03-01-2023

What's the point of visualising Nicky Campbell's 5 Live phone-in, other than it being a cheap way for the BBC to claim that they have UK output on the new channel?

I just don't get the appeal of visualising radio phone-ins, if I'm interested in listening to what Dave from Manchester thinks about the day's news, I'll listen to 5 Live or LBC. If I want actual news, I'll watch a TV news channel. I'd much rather the UK gets 2 hours of international news every morning than watch Nicky Campbell talking into a static mic mixed up with footage of Nigel on his phone from his van giving his opinion whilst he's on his deliveries.

In my opinion, if the BBC really are so strapped for cash that they can't afford to provide any proper studio based output for the UK on this new TV news channel, simulcast Breakfast, the 1, 6 and 10, and the rest of the time have proper, studio based, made for TV international news. And be upfront about the fact that it's an international news channel. BBC World News would be a much better name for the new channel, then there's no ambiguity about what you're watching.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 03-01-2023

Just to add my voice to those saying ditch the simulcasts. They need to go all in on international news (with a British slant) for this to work.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - London Lite - 03-01-2023

(03-01-2023, 06:04 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  What's the point of visualising Nicky Campbell's 5 Live phone-in, other than it being a cheap way for the BBC to claim that they have UK output on the new channel?

I just don't get the appeal of visualising radio phone-ins, if I'm interested in listening to what Dave from Manchester thinks about the day's news, I'll listen to 5 Live or LBC. If I want actual news, I'll watch a TV news channel. I'd much rather the UK gets 2 hours of international news every morning than watch Nicky Campbell talking into a static mic mixed up with footage of Nigel on his phone from his van giving his opinion whilst he's on his deliveries.

In my opinion, if the BBC really are so strapped for cash that they can't afford to provide any proper studio based output for the UK on this new TV news channel, simulcast Breakfast, the 1, 6 and 10, and the rest of the time have proper, studio based, made for TV international news. And be upfront about the fact that it's an international news channel. BBC World News would be a much better name for the new channel, then there's no ambiguity about what you're watching.

I don't get it either. Talk TV has hours and hours of radio phone-in simulcasts and it simply doesn't transfer well to television.

French television which does this on a daily basis on a range of channels do this a lot better than any effort in the UK which is likely to be some fixed cameras in the 5 Live studio which is designed for radio while the French put their simulcast programmes in tv studios.

Andrew - Andrew - 03-01-2023

(03-01-2023, 02:37 AM)Independent Wrote:  
(02-01-2023, 04:32 PM)DTV Wrote:  This is quite different from what I'm expecting. My expectation is that the eight 'presenter-reporters' are more likely to be the 'headliners' (as per Hakim and Atkins at present) and the five just presenters are going to be the ones with more flexibile shifts. I also would be very surprised if they restricted London to just eight hours a day as 'from London' still has some draw for World and the level of investment talked about for Washington (I don't think Singapore is getting much more) wouldn't be enough to carry the channel for more than a couple of shifts per day.

On weekdays I'm expecting something more on the lines of four/five shifts from London from 05:/06:00 to between 19:00 and 21:00, then a shift from Washington, one from Singapore and then another from Washington. Even with five Mon-Thurs three-hour London shifts and four Fri-Sun four-hour London shifts, you'd only need nine of the London-based presenter pool on air per week.
(03-01-2023, 02:11 AM)Universal_r Wrote:  Is there a reason they’re giving extra work to Washington instead of keeping it in London? Is it cheaper? Is it political?
It's disappointing to see Washington chosen over Singapore. It's commercial (ad revenues from the world's wealthiest country are bigger than those from the Asia-Pacific region) and the editors at the BBC seem obsessed with the drama US politics produces. The BBC's international coverage will probably be even more skewed towards over-coverage of the US. I highly doubt we'll be seeing more stories from Latin America (like the levels and type of stories seen on AJE) that would separate the BBC from CNN when the BBC decides to shift more production to Washington.

Next year’s US election will be one of the big tests for the new combined news channel

As you say, we know they will follow every little twist and turn of the very long election campaign, no matter how trivial. There will no doubt be an occasion where domestic news gets sidelined because of some ‘Washington bubble’ story