Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - London Lite - 04-01-2023

I remember watching Sally Bundock on Bloomberg in the late 90s, so must have been around the early noughties when she joined World?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 04-01-2023

I really hope this will not be a case of older, experienced people being let go while they only keep the young, newer faces.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - JamesWorldNews - 04-01-2023

Lucy Hockings and Sally Bundock have been at BBC World (News) since 2001.

Aaron Heslehurst since 2002, I think.

Tanya Beckett also with World since 2001, before moving to Breakfast for some years.

And Mishal Husain also since around 2001.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Spencer - 04-01-2023

(04-01-2023, 01:54 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I really hope this will not be a case of older, experienced people being let go while they only keep the young, newer faces.

Probably not so much a case of them being let go, but them opting to take redundancy (or rather not reapplying for their jobs). The longer you've been with an organisation, the bigger the redundancy payout. Plus if you've got loads of experience under your belt, you'll stand a good chance of getting some decent work once you move on. Or you might just see it as a good opportunity to take early retirement.

It's one of the sad facts when any organisation has a round of redundancies, often those most employable and talented are the first to walk. If you're relatively new in your career, you're more likely to want to stay on and develop.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Steve in Pudsey - 04-01-2023

(04-01-2023, 01:54 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I really hope this will not be a case of older, experienced people being let go while they only keep the young, newer faces.

Not referring specifically to this situation, but that does seem to be the typical way of any redundancy situation in any industry. A combination of the more capable people being able to find a new gig more easily and jumping ship, and older people who are eligible for early retirement saying "sod that" to the idea of re-applying for their own job meant that you do tend to lose a lot of experienced folk

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newshound47 - 05-01-2023

Sky keep promoting the paper review now with a push notification so they must think there is an opening to bring viewers in from the BBC.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bkman1990 - 06-01-2023

I didn't realize David Eades was the first one to go before the merger had taken place very soon. I had grown to like him on BBC World for the last few years. He was an excellent newsreader on the channel. I hope he finds other avenues in the near future.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - neonemesis - 06-01-2023

(04-01-2023, 07:35 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  

Not referring specifically to this situation, but that does seem to be the typical way of any redundancy situation in any industry. A combination of the more capable people being able to find a new gig more easily and jumping ship, and older people who are eligible for early retirement saying "sod that" to the idea of re-applying for their own job meant that you do tend to lose a lot of experienced folk

It's important to see this as an opportunity too. Despite some of the hyperbole in this thread, BBC News is still an influential and internationally respected institution which should be developing new talent as a service to the industry. Of course, I don't mean a wholesale exodus of the established and experienced names - but the new faces of today are the beloved old-timers of tomorrow.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Matrix - 06-01-2023

(06-01-2023, 11:06 AM)neonemesis Wrote:  
(04-01-2023, 07:35 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Not referring specifically to this situation, but that does seem to be the typical way of any redundancy situation in any industry.  A combination of the more capable people being able to find a new gig more easily and jumping ship, and older people who are eligible for early retirement saying "sod that" to the idea of re-applying for their own job meant that you do tend to lose a lot of experienced folk

It's important to see this as an opportunity too. Despite some of the hyperbole in this thread, BBC News is still an influential and internationally respected institution which should be developing new talent as a service to the industry. Of course, I don't mean a wholesale exodus of the established and experienced names - but the new faces of today are the beloved old-timers of tomorrow.
Don't get me wrong, I do agree. As much as this whole process is quite painful, I do appreciate that there is a golden opportunity for BBC News to showcase itself as a global news channel, a rival to CNN in a way that it's never quite done before. That said, there is a serious issue around 'talent pipelines' and actually the whole talent management strategy. It's worth baring in mind that these are only the *latest* round of layoffs/VR. The culture, quite frankly, in News is bleak - and it bleeds into so much of what we do. 

Ok, I've said my piece. I do, genuinely, hope that News emerges from these quite totemic changes in a stronger position it is just that you have to hit bottom before coming back up, right.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - TheJarv - 06-01-2023

Nicky Campbells 5 Live phone in about the reaction to Harrys autobiography was briefly shown on the NC this morning before being taken off for the breaking news about Jan Luca Vialli