Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - JAS84 - 06-01-2023

(03-01-2023, 12:19 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  How they going to get around the sport rights issue if domestic bulletins are going out internationally?

Sportsday is presumably going to be a UK opt. International viewers get Sport Today instead.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 06-01-2023

(06-01-2023, 01:22 PM)TheJarv Wrote:  Nicky Campbells 5 Live phone in about the reaction to Harrys autobiography was briefly shown on the NC this morning before being taken off for the breaking news about Jan Luca Vialli

And it's not really news, it's opinion. Watching it back I thought I'd flicked on to a bad version of Talk TV! You can criticise Talk TV about some of its opinion based programming, but at least it looks OK for a TV audience.

If they're going to broadcast 5 Live visually they're going to have to make some upgrades to the studio set up to make it more viewer and presenter friendly because, quite frankly, it just looks awful on screen at the moment (and has done for some time when the NC have dipped in). 

A poorly positioned camera with Nicky having to twist his neck round to look at it, taking him off mic at the same time isn't good, plus the really poor lighting to boot. Could've been broadcasting from a bunker. Frankly I've seen Youtubers with better set ups!

[Image: 8-E765783-FC0-C-426-D-8158-28-CEE5-E3-E15-C.jpg]

Newshound47 - Newshound47 - 06-01-2023

(06-01-2023, 03:01 PM)Worzel Wrote:  
(06-01-2023, 01:22 PM)TheJarv Wrote:  Nicky Campbells 5 Live phone in about the reaction to Harrys autobiography was briefly shown on the NC this morning before being taken off for the breaking news about Jan Luca Vialli

And it's not really news, it's opinion. Watching it back I thought I'd flicked on to a bad version of Talk TV! You can criticise Talk TV about some of its opinion based programming, but at least it looks OK for a TV audience.

If they're going to broadcast 5 Live visually they're going to have to make some upgrades to the studio set up to make it more viewer and presenter friendly because, quite frankly, it just looks awful on screen at the moment (and has done for some time when the NC have dipped in). 

A poorly positioned camera with Nicky having to twist his neck round to look at it, taking him off mic at the same time isn't good, plus the really poor lighting to boot. Could've been broadcasting from a bunker. Frankly I've seen Youtubers with better set ups!

And it’s indirectly promoting ITV’s interview on Sunday night.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 06-01-2023

(06-01-2023, 01:35 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Sportsday is presumably going to be a UK opt. International viewers get Sport Today instead.
I'm not entirely sure of the details, but the original press release stated that "Sports programming will be a mixture of the UK-facing Sportsday and new global-facing sports programmes". I also seem to recall somebody at the time suggesting that there will be a greater level of sport news on the channel than there currently is on BBC World News.

(06-01-2023, 03:01 PM)Worzel Wrote:  And it's not really news, it's opinion. Watching it back I thought I'd flicked on to a bad version of Talk TV! You can criticise Talk TV about some of its opinion based programming, but at least it looks OK for a TV audience.

I think we all hope that there'll be some retooling of the programme and a new studio, because, as you say, it doesn't look great and it's not a particularly useful format to have in two hours of prime UK breaking news time - a 30 minute evening slot might be more understandable for this kind of programme.

I know that I'm more open to visualised radio (done well) than some other forum members, but still find Nicky Campbell an odd choice for this to go first. Personally I'd've started with something like Today in Parliament. Relatively easy to visualise, clear news value (particularly after the TV equivalent got axed) and in a less prominent slot.

It's also quite an odd choice to fill the 09:00-11:00 slot with UK-specific output as that mid-morning UK time period is the only part of the day that isn't Breakfast or Evening peak in any of BBC World News' key markets - that is when it would be easiest to do UK-leaning World simulcasts!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 06-01-2023

(06-01-2023, 03:01 PM)Worzel Wrote:  And it's not really news, it's opinion. Watching it back I thought I'd flicked on to a bad version of Talk TV! You can criticise Talk TV about some of its opinion based programming, but at least it looks OK for a TV audience.

If I was being sceptical I'd suggest this morning was a way of testing out the idea of doing a simulcast with 5Live once the news channels have merged. Hopefully those higher up in the BBC will have realised that in it's current form there's a lot to be improved before it could be implemented permanently.

They might just about get away with it on BBC Two if they were doing something similar to when BBC Alba is off air, by airing 5Live but with a video feed into a smaller box on screen, ref https://flic.kr/p/VXB3SQ . However as UK-opt programme on BBC News (channel) I don't think that passes for being acceptable.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 06-01-2023

(06-01-2023, 05:05 PM)Keith Wrote:  If I was being sceptical I'd suggest this morning was a way of testing out the idea of doing a simulcast with 5Live once the news channels have merged.  

Well of course it was. That’s exactly why it was on today. Nothing sceptical about it. I’d expect to see it happen a few more times in coming weeks too.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 06-01-2023

(06-01-2023, 05:18 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(06-01-2023, 05:05 PM)Keith Wrote:  If I was being sceptical I'd suggest this morning was a way of testing out the idea of doing a simulcast with 5Live once the news channels have merged.  

Well of course it was. That’s exactly why it was on today. Nothing sceptical about it. I’d expect to see it happen a few more times in coming weeks too.

Which will hopefully come to one conclusion-that unless Nicky Campbell moves his show from Salford to the News Room (aka Studio E) the Five Live simucast is not going to work for the reasons already discriped by others above.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jon - 06-01-2023

(06-01-2023, 07:48 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(06-01-2023, 05:18 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Well of course it was. That’s exactly why it was on today. Nothing sceptical about it. I’d expect to see it happen a few more times in coming weeks too.

Which will hopefully come to one conclusion-that unless Nicky Campbell moves his show from Salford to the News Room (aka Studio E) the Five Live simucast is not going to work for the reasons already discriped by others above.
I believe Salford does have a means of communication with London these days. Not sure what doing his show in London would allow them to do differently.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - m_in_m - 06-01-2023

(06-01-2023, 07:48 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(06-01-2023, 05:18 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Well of course it was. That’s exactly why it was on today. Nothing sceptical about it. I’d expect to see it happen a few more times in coming weeks too.

I can't see any reason it needs to move to London. 

I can accept that they need a radio studio more suitable to TV broadcast but I'm sure that will be possible - it may just need a collaboration of TV and radio to achieve. We've seen better output from Five Live elsewhere e.g. the You, Me, and the Big C podcast.  It might just be that Nicky's current studio isn't as TV ready as others.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Steve in Pudsey - 06-01-2023

(06-01-2023, 03:49 PM)DTV Wrote:  I know that I'm more open to visualised radio (done well) than some other forum members, but still find Nicky Campbell an odd choice for this to go first. Personally I'd've started with something like Today in Parliament. Relatively easy to visualise, clear news value (particularly after the TV equivalent got axed) and in a less prominent slot.

But visualising a phone-in requires fewer changes to the production process than turning Today in Parliament into a TV programme, where you would need the video clips rather than just audio. Maybe not too much of a barrier in these multi-skilled days though.