Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 06-01-2023

(06-01-2023, 08:30 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  But visualising a phone-in requires fewer changes to the production process than turning Today in Parliament into a TV programme, where you would need the video clips rather than just audio.  Maybe not too much of a barrier in these multi-skilled days though.

Certainly it would be a slight change to existing workflow, but it's only really preparing and playing out video clips (and fairly audio-based ones at that) instead of audio clips. As you allude to, BBC newsrooms and journalists are multimedia these days. Moving from just radio to visualised radio would take some getting used to, but I doubt it's a particularly difficult transition. With the right set-up, I think you could even move to visualising things like PM with limited disruption to existing practice - easy-to-use graphics templates and a bit of b-roll would allow previously radio-only packages to work on TV without taking significantly longer to produce.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thegeek - 06-01-2023

How different was the old TV version of Today in Parliament from its Radio 4 cousin? I remember it being a presenter in front of a green screen linking clips of the Commons and Lords. Did they use the same script and running order as each other? It feels like a fairly easy win to do one version to serve both.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 06-01-2023

That was called The Record then 'Mondsy in Oarliament' or whatever day it was.

It was on BBC parliament around 0900 hrs and overnight around 0230 on BBC news. But it was similar but it has not been on for a while.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 07-01-2023

As predicted, it does seem very much like the entirety of the weekends are now simulcast from C. So, at present, it's only 0900-1800 Mon-Fri along with the network weekend bulletins coming from E. Sad times.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - qwerty123 - 07-01-2023

Although apparently nobody has told the team producing the bulletins this afternoon as they are referring to BBC World News and seem to be unaware they are broadcasting in the UK.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - CF1 - 07-01-2023

It's like the BBC doesn't have a single penny left in the coffers to produce a shred of News channel output for the domestic audience.

I watched Newswatch earlier and it was the same usual BBC lip service paid to the axing of The Papers, joining Dateline London and the Film Review in the BBC News channel dustbin. The viewing figures for this "new" channel aren't even going to be worthy enough to register on the BARB system.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 02:38 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  As predicted, it does seem very much like the entirety of the weekends are now simulcast from C. So, at present, it's only 0900-1800 Mon-Fri along with the network weekend bulletins coming from E. Sad times.
We have returned, however, to weekend bulletins now being non-News channel for the first time in fifteen years. Which means that they've got a separate presenter and gallery team in - why don't they try using them?

This step up in transition, combined with the overly UK-leaning running orders of the simulcasts, has really destroyed any hope I have that this merger is going to go well. It just doesn't seem like they're going to take any of the sensible routes to maintain some degree of separate UK output and not contaminate their World output with internationally meaningless UK stories. And there are many routes that allow them to do this while still making necessary cuts.

I could sort of forgive this if they were going down the international news channel route and wholly embracing it, but it's becoming clear that it'll be a schedule of 10am-style smudges - too much UK news for an international audience, too little UK news for a domestic one. Not just is such a running order not in either audience's interest, it weakens World's output and thus potentially imperils its profitability (which would lead to no BBC News channels full stop).

There was a way this merger could have gone well and worked for both audienes, but they seem really determined to blow it. Just an utter waste.

Newshound47 - Newshound47 - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 03:19 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(07-01-2023, 02:38 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  As predicted, it does seem very much like the entirety of the weekends are now simulcast from C. So, at present, it's only 0900-1800 Mon-Fri along with the network weekend bulletins coming from E. Sad times.
We have returned, however, to weekend bulletins now being non-News channel for the first time in fifteen years. Which means that they've got a separate presenter and gallery team in - why don't they try using them?

This step up in transition, combined with the overly UK-leaning running orders of the simulcasts, has really destroyed any hope I have that this merger is going to go well. It just doesn't seem like they're going to take any of the sensible routes to maintain some degree of separate UK output and not contaminate their World output with internationally meaningless UK stories. And there are many routes that allow them to do this while still making necessary cuts.

I could sort of forgive this if they were going down the international news channel route and wholly embracing it, but it's becoming clear that it'll be a schedule of 10am-style smudges - too much UK news for an international audience, too little UK news for a domestic one. Not just is such a running order not in either audience's interest, it weakens World's output and thus potentially imperils its profitability (which would lead to no BBC News channels full stop).

There was a way this merger could have gone well and worked for both audienes, but they seem really determined to blow it. Just an utter waste.
I suspect in time World News will end up with the national bulletins airing sometimes on it.

RE: Newshound47 - DTV - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 03:23 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  I suspect in time World News will end up with the national bulletins airing sometimes on it.

I highly doubt this. It has only happened in very rare and unusual circumstances where taking the domestic bulletin made editorial and practical sense. As I've said before, the merger is not going so deep as to affect network bulletins - arguably they'll be more independent from the news channels than they've been since 2006.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 07-01-2023

So in all but name, the merger has already happened. We now have just 8 hours of separate NC programming for 5 days a week. And yet apparently the BBC doesn't even have the funds to keep that going beyond another few months.