Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 20-01-2023

Well it looks the picket lines might be going up sooner rather than later.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/bbc-strike-action-inevitable-local-radio-cuts-1235228671/ 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - neonemesis - 20-01-2023

Striking isn't going to up the licence fee settlement, so not sure what it will achieve.

(20-01-2023, 06:38 PM)neonemesis Wrote:  Striking isn't going to up the licence fee settlement, so not sure what it will achieve.

Maybe not but it was invatable that the proposals would have lead to this at some point.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 20-01-2023

(20-01-2023, 07:07 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(20-01-2023, 06:38 PM)neonemesis Wrote:  Striking isn't going to up the licence fee settlement, so not sure what it will achieve.

Maybe not but it was invatable that the proposals would have lead to this at some point.
Agreed. Was thinking this when the whole merger announcement, job cuts were made. Coupled with the cuts everywhere else it really was only a matter of time. 

I can remember the strikes that brought Stephen Cole and Emma Crosby to the network news, and Helen Bowden the then Director of News filed reports.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Yorksman - 20-01-2023

I think the last strike we had was just after the Broadcasting house move and it was for half a day in 2013.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Roger Darthwell - 20-01-2023

(20-01-2023, 07:12 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(20-01-2023, 07:07 PM)News76 Wrote:  Maybe not but it was invatable that the proposals would have lead to this at some point.
Agreed. Was thinking this when the whole merger announcement, job cuts were made. Coupled with the cuts everywhere else it really was only a matter of time. 

I can remember the strikes that brought Stephen Cole and Emma Crosby to the network news, and Helen Bowden the then Director of News filed reports.

Are you referencing the 2005 BBC strike action?

(20-01-2023, 07:31 PM)Yorksman Wrote:  I think the last strike we had was just after the Broadcasting house move and it was for half a day in 2013.

Yep and the were 2 full days in 2011 as well so slight correction needed in that article.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 20-01-2023

(20-01-2023, 07:33 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(20-01-2023, 07:12 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Agreed. Was thinking this when the whole merger announcement, job cuts were made. Coupled with the cuts everywhere else it really was only a matter of time. 

Are you referencing the 2005 BBC strike action?
I think Cole and Crosby covered that strike action. Chris Rodgers also did 6 and 10 IIRC. 

I'll dig and throw it somewhere more suitable.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - CATV - 20-01-2023

I fully support the strike. If it does one thing it will highlight the issue and make people aware. Many people have no idea the funding issue the BBC has right now. The BBC can't ask for funding help in a cost of living crisis. It would look bad. This way it gets the message out there.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 21-01-2023

(20-01-2023, 08:35 PM)CATV Wrote:  I fully support the strike.  If it does one thing it will highlight the issue and make people aware.  Many people have no idea the funding issue the BBC has right now.  The BBC can't ask for funding help in a cost of living crisis. It would look bad.  This way it gets the message out there.

Striking gets the message out there, yes. But it won't stop the cuts or achieve anything else. The license fee is currently frozen and it's not going to be unfrozen. If the areas in local radio and news are not cut, other parts of the BBC will need to be cut, or whole channels or radio stations shut instead. Or cuts to drama and entertainment. 
The BBC has no more money. Albeit more people probably care about cuts to local radio and regional news than closing the UK news channel.