Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 21-01-2023

(21-01-2023, 11:05 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(20-01-2023, 08:35 PM)CATV Wrote:  I fully support the strike.  If it does one thing it will highlight the issue and make people aware.  Many people have no idea the funding issue the BBC has right now.  The BBC can't ask for funding help in a cost of living crisis. It would look bad.  This way it gets the message out there.

Striking gets the message out there, yes. But it won't stop the cuts or achieve anything else. The license fee is currently frozen and it's not going to be unfrozen. If the areas in local radio and news are not cut, other parts of the BBC will need to be cut, or whole channels or radio stations shut instead. Or cuts to drama and entertainment. 
The BBC has no more money. Albeit more people probably care about cuts to local radio and regional news than closing the UK news channel.

Well they are going to have to find some money from somewhere because this option appears to be causing a lot discontent-To me, already it seemed inevitable that this would happen the moment the cuts we're announced-it was a case of when.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - qwerty123 - 21-01-2023

(21-01-2023, 02:01 PM)PNews76 Wrote:  
(21-01-2023, 11:05 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  Striking gets the message out there, yes. But it won't stop the cuts or achieve anything else. The license fee is currently frozen and it's not going to be unfrozen. If the areas in local radio and news are not cut, other parts of the BBC will need to be cut, or whole channels or radio stations shut instead. Or cuts to drama and entertainment. 
The BBC has no more money. Albeit more people probably care about cuts to local radio and regional news than closing the UK news channel.

Well they are going to have to find some money from somewhere because this option appears to be causing a lot discontent-To me, already it seemed inevitable that this would happen the moment the cuts we're announced-it was a case of when.

Given that in previous strikes they have always managed to get something resembling the current proposals to air in any case I actually think the unions position is extremely weak this time around and management will be able to push through the majority of the changes regardless.
There’s not much damage to be done by essentially restricting what is able to be broadcast to the levels that management are proposing to broadcast in a matter of months in any case and in all probability the only difference in output between any strike day and a random weekday in 6 months time will be the person reading the autocue on BBC1 bulletins (and even then Breakfast could well be as normal given both Charlie and Naga have worked during previous strikes).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 21-01-2023

This discussion seems to be in the wrong thread. The proposed strikes are more about the cuts to local radio rather than the news channel merger. Even if we suppose that the strikes would be effective, they would be too late to stop the merger now anyway as they've clearly moved in to the late stage preparations - some job applications associated with the new channel have already closed and presenters are already being rearranged. We're probably only weeks away from pilots.

It'd also be difficult to see what public pressure a strike could build on with regards to the news channel merger - the plans have been public for at least six months now and I don't think I've seen any real public outcry. The boat on stopping the merger has long sailed, the best hope now is that the international channel becomes profitable enough to subsidise a decent UK opt.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Omnipresent - 21-01-2023

This week's Sunday Times has a feature on BBC News and the merger of the two news channels.  The article also says that one idea is a BBC News livestream on iPlayer.  The BBC denies the merger may be delayed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-impossible-job-bbcs-new-broom-tackles-mutinous-staff-quitting-in-droves-xl0wvzdrp 

On the screen tests:

Quote:“It was clearly devised by people who know nothing about presenting,” a journalist said. “One of the scenarios was that you immediately start rolling on a news story with a single source, which never happens. You had to operate your own autocue standing up and you didn’t have support from a producer in the gallery. So it was basically a memory test, seeing how much you could recall from past iterations of a similar story.”

Quote:The mood at the channel is mutinous. “This was never a merger — it’s a de facto closure of the news channel,” one journalist said.

They added: “We know you can’t serve two divergent audiences properly on one channel. The world audience isn’t interested in strikes by ambulance drivers. When anyone asks, ‘How are the new channel or the UK breakout stream going to work?’ the bosses don’t have any answers.”

There are rumours that the launch will be delayed, denied by the BBC. Another source says instead that the channel will have “the softest launch, so as to be indiscernible — all it will look like is joint output”.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newshound47 - 21-01-2023

Also in the article there is speculation Newsnight might be axed at some point soon.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 21-01-2023

Well this is all falling apart at the seems and it seems to me there is only one way to stop the discontent-Stop the Screens tests and start this whole process again from scratch-and no i don't believe the boat has sailed on stopping the merger-if anything the merger is sinking faster than The Titanic with each passing week!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 21-01-2023

Almost feel like reaching out to Debs with the standard 'Are U OK HUN'?

Publicly I'm a non believer in this 'merger' but in all honesty, does that article tell us anything we didn't know already? Nope!

It's a sh@t show waiting to happen (or happening already) it seems.

An absolute car crash of a decision, executed by visionless people at the wheel!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 21-01-2023

(21-01-2023, 09:21 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(21-01-2023, 09:17 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Almost feel like reaching out to Debs with the standard 'Are U OK HUN'?

Publicly I'm a non believer in this 'merger' but in all honesty, does that article tell us anything we didn't know already? Nope!

It's a sh@t show waiting to happen (or happening already) it seems.

An absolute car crash of a decision, executed by visionless people at the wheel!

And when the car crash does happen, there will have to be some form of u-turn (whether some people on here like it or not)-Is it any wonder David Eades has gone, Tim Willcox has either gone or is about to go and Joanna Gosling is about to go next Thursday-At this rate they will have no one left the way things are going-something has got to give.

What sort of u-turn are you expecting? They aren’t going to pump money back into it to reestablish a UK-only channel.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 21-01-2023

(21-01-2023, 09:38 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(21-01-2023, 09:33 PM)all new phil Wrote:  What sort of u-turn are you expecting? They aren’t going to pump money back into it to reestablish a UK-only channel.

They may have no choice if this merger (as is looking VERY likely) crashes, burns flops and sinks- what would your answer be if this happens, just shut both channels and have done with it?

What on earth are you going on about? How does a news channel crash, burn, flop and sink? Give over with the dramatics.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 21-01-2023

(20-01-2023, 07:35 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(20-01-2023, 07:33 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  Are you referencing the 2005 BBC strike action?
I think Cole and Crosby covered that strike action. Chris Rodgers also did 6 and 10 IIRC. 

I'll dig and throw it somewhere more suitable.

Cole did the 6 and 10 during the 2005 strike. Crosby was there for the 2010 strike (I think she did the 1). You are correct that Chris Rogers did the 6 and 10 - but during the 2010 strike.

https://youtu.be/lBbl4XrZi6A?t=37