Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 21-01-2023

(21-01-2023, 11:39 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(20-01-2023, 07:35 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I think Cole and Crosby covered that strike action. Chris Rodgers also did 6 and 10 IIRC. 

I'll dig and throw it somewhere more suitable.

Cole did the 6 and 10 during the 2005 strike. Crosby was there for the 2010 strike (I think she did the 1). You are correct that Chris Rogers did the 6 and 10 - but during the 2010 strike.

https://youtu.be/lBbl4XrZi6A?t=37 

Also Akhtar Khan did Breakfast in the 2005 strike. Susan Osman did the 1.

Gavin Grey did Breakfast on day 1 of the 2010 strike. Charlie Stayt and Anne Davies (GMTV / East Midlands Today) did Breakfast on day 2.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Superman1986 - 21-01-2023

Is the rebrand delayed as well as the merger?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 22-01-2023

(21-01-2023, 11:53 PM)Superman1986 Wrote:  Is the rebrand delayed as well as the merger?
I don't think anybody really knows. But given they are soft launching the new channel, I doubt that they would accompany that with a rebrand. As I said the other day, I suspect that they'll move the new channel into one studio (probably C) to allow for a new set to be constructed in the other (probably E) and that they'll rebrand once that studio is ready - probably the autumn. That would also line up with the seeming timetable for regional sets being finished - maybe they're waiting for all the new sets to be in before changing the branding.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - AaronTV - 22-01-2023

I think people are getting really quite carried away about this, certainly straying into melodramatics.

The reality is that the BBC has been incredibly privileged to have had the ability to fund its news operation in the way it has done, without being limited in the way that its commercial rivals have been. That now has to be done differently.

As for the quality of journalism dropping as a result of cuts, I simply don’t buy this argument. ITV News produces excellent coverage with a much, much, smaller budget and pool of resources. Channel 4 News and 5 News are also vastly smaller services. As noted in The Times, the BBC has already fallen behind somewhat in terms of its rivals at ITV and Sky in terms of finding exclusives. That certainly isn’t budget related.

Most importantly, the vast majority of those who consume their news through the BBC do so by the traditional bulletins and through the website/app/social media. That isn’t changing.

The News Channel certainly is not this enormously watched service, therefore, and I would be willing to bet that most people don’t notice the merger has even taken place.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Scratch_Perry - 22-01-2023

(22-01-2023, 10:59 AM)AaronTV Wrote:  I think people are getting really quite carried away about this, certainly straying into melodramatics.

The reality is that the BBC has been incredibly privileged to have had the ability to fund its news operation in the way it has done, without being limited in the way that its commercial rivals have been. That now has to be done differently.

As for the quality of journalism dropping as a result of cuts, I simply don’t buy this argument. ITV News produces excellent coverage with a much, much, smaller budget and pool of resources. Channel 4 News and 5 News are also vastly smaller services. As noted in The Times, the BBC has already fallen behind somewhat in terms of its rivals at ITV and Sky in terms of finding exclusives. That certainly isn’t budget related. 

Most importantly, the vast majority of those who consume their news through the BBC do so by the traditional bulletins and through the website/app/social media. That isn’t changing.

The News Channel certainly is not this enormously watched service, therefore, and I would be willing to bet that most people don’t notice the merger has even taken place.
They will do when they notice the newsreader refer to - or caption - Rishi Sunak as the "British (or UK) Prime Minister", Jeremy Hunt as the "British Finance Minister" and Suella Braverman as the "British Interior Minister"!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 22-01-2023

(22-01-2023, 04:09 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  
(22-01-2023, 10:59 AM)AaronTV Wrote:  I think people are getting really quite carried away about this, certainly straying into melodramatics.

They will do when they notice the newsreader refer to - or caption - Rishi Sunak as the "British (or UK) Prime Minister", Jeremy Hunt as the "British Finance Minister" and Suella Braverman as the "British Interior Minister"!

They really won’t.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - AaronTV - 22-01-2023

(22-01-2023, 04:09 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  

If that’s the most compelling reason you can find for not merging the two channels in terms of whether domestic viewers will notice or not, then it’s probably fair to say that the BBC are making the correct decision.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - cityprod - 22-01-2023

(22-01-2023, 04:53 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(22-01-2023, 04:09 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  They will do when they notice the newsreader refer to - or caption - Rishi Sunak as the "British (or UK) Prime Minister", Jeremy Hunt as the "British Finance Minister" and Suella Braverman as the "British Interior Minister"!

They really won’t.
You say that but how many people on Twitter complained about GMTV, later Daybreak and GMB's clock being an hour behind, not realising they were watching the +1.  It shows that so many people DO actually notice these things, even if they don't actually know why they are noticing it.  It's always the little things that attract the most attention, even if you don't know why, they always do.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newshound47 - 22-01-2023

I think a big issue when talking about funding will be that money is still being spent on projects that I can’t see a benefit for the BBC like the Shamima Begum podcast.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 22-01-2023

(22-01-2023, 07:04 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  I think a big issue when talking about funding will be that money is still being spent on projects that I can’t see a benefit for the BBC like the Shamima Begum podcast.
Could you provide context here please?