Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - TheJarv - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:35 AM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  Such sad news if true. After the loss of Joanna Gosling last week, I was hoping that Annita at least would get the gig.

On a personal level though, I find many of the presenters on the 'in' list difficult to warm to. Admittedly I've not had a great deal of exposure to many of them but the whole thing just leaves me a bit 'meh'.

Hopefully Sky News might pick a few of them up - looks like I'll be heading in that direction a bit more now.

I've already started watching Sky News more recently

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - UTVLifer - 02-02-2023

There’s a brutally short article put up on the BBC News website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64496388 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Alf Stewart - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:37 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  There’s a brutally short article put up on the BBC News website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64496388 

It's almost like the person writing it was just told they were being made redundant and they just thought 'f*** it'!

(02-02-2023, 11:37 AM)TheJarv Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 11:35 AM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  Such sad news if true. After the loss of Joanna Gosling last week, I was hoping that Annita at least would get the gig.

On a personal level though, I find many of the presenters on the 'in' list difficult to warm to. Admittedly I've not had a great deal of exposure to many of them but the whole thing just leaves me a bit 'meh'.

Hopefully Sky News might pick a few of them up - looks like I'll be heading in that direction a bit more now.

I've already started watching Sky News more recently

Me too particularly at the weekends when we just have World simulcasts now.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 02-02-2023

Obviously horrible news for the many good presenters who have lost out, particularly awful considering the rigmarole the BBC put them through to then pick four of the most senior presenters anyway - what a d*ck move.

Hopefully some of the losing presenters will get roles elsewhere in the BBC - Jane Hill is an obvious shoe-in for transfer to the network team - one of the best news presenters in the country, they'd be insane to lose her. I expect a few others will also be able to get one of the presenter-reporter roles - some of them have already have long stints as reporters and I could see real roles for some of them - Shaun Ley, for instance, would make an excellent UK/European political correspondent for the channel.

Interesting, though, that Ros Atkins is not mentioned. I know he was already promoted to Analysis Editor, but I can't see Outside Source getting ditched - so perhaps more slots than were first advertised.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bbctvtechop - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:22 AM)Transmission Wrote:  This is now confirmed by the BBC, by the way:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/bbc-unveils-presenter-line-up-for-news-channel/ 

It does feel as if UK viewers are really losing out with this move.

One other thing to note from that release:

Quote:Advertising will now begin for eight correspondent roles. These will be on-air journalists who will present, as well as report, on the channel.

Here's the line which stands out for me:

Quote:We will respond to breaking and developing news in the UK for our domestic audiences at all times.
(my bold)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Alf Stewart - 02-02-2023

[/quote]

Here's the line which stands out for me:

[quote]
We will respond to breaking and developing news in the UK for our domestic audiences at all times.

(my bold)

The proof will most defintely be in the pudding with that but I'm not going to hold my breath!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:39 AM)DTV Wrote:  Obviously horrible news for the many good presenters who have lost out, particularly awful considering the rigmarole the BBC put them through to then pick four of the most senior presenters anyway - what a d*ck move.

Hopefully some of the losing presenters will get roles elsewhere in the BBC - Jane Hill is an obvious shoe-in for transfer to the network team - one of the best news presenters in the country, they'd be insane to lose her. I expect a few others will also be able to get one of the presenter-reporter roles - some of them have already have long stints as reporters and I could see real roles for some of them - Shaun Ley, for instance, would make an excellent UK/European political correspondent for the channel.

Wonder if there will also be a new lineup for the BBC1 bulletins as part of this? I expect Jane will get the One in any case.

(02-02-2023, 11:39 AM)DTV Wrote:  Interesting, though, that Ros Atkins is not mentioned. I know he was already promoted to Analysis Editor, but I can't see Outside Source getting ditched - so perhaps more slots than were first advertised.

I suspect he'll be one of the eight 'reporter-presenters'.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 02-02-2023

It sounds like these chief presenters will do Monday- Friday maybe in 3 hour slots, something like 8am-11pm then Washington and Singapore doing the over night? That would mean the reporter presenters would cover the weekends?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:44 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Here's the line which stands out for me:

Quote:We will respond to breaking and developing news in the UK for our domestic audiences at all times.
Interesting, this could mean many things - does it mean the proposed breaking team is 24-hours (which seems hard to believe - they haven't had a separate UK night shift, for instance, since 1998) or does it simply mean they'll put up a breaking news graphic; or are we going down a more Euronews route; or are are they prepared to shaft the World audience, on whom the financial viability of the channel is dependent. I don't get the constant vagueness by the BBC on this.

If it is the first option, I'm intrigued because it'd certainly require more resources (and presenters) than I assumed - in which case, there are many questions about why they aren't offering a permanent UK daytime opt.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:52 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 11:44 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Here's the line which stands out for me:
Interesting, this could mean many things - does it mean the proposed breaking team is 24-hours (which seems hard to believe - they haven't had a separate UK night shift, for instance, since 1998) or does it simply mean they'll put up a breaking news graphic; or are we going down a more Euronews route; or are are they prepared to shaft the World audience, on whom the financial viability of the channel is dependent. I don't get the constant vagueness by the BBC on this.

If it is the first option, I'm intrigued because it'd certainly require more resources (and presenters) than I assumed - in which case, there are many questions about why they aren't offering a permanent UK daytime opt.

I suspect the constant vagueness, as you put it, is because the BBC don't really know themselves how it will all work. My expectation is that how any UK-specific breaking news is covered will depend on the importance of the story. I think we'll probably see all of the options you mention at some point, again, depending on the story.