Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - South - 02-02-2023

Here's the line which stands out for me:

Quote:We will respond to breaking and developing news in the UK for our domestic audiences at all times.

(my bold)

The proof will most defintely be in the pudding with that but I'm not going to hold my breath!

That response can vary though from a line on a ticker to a presented report.

Unfortunately as brutal as the cuts are they do make sense for the world viewer and the revenue making stream. I think this was always going to be a similar outcome with the favour going to the world presenters rather than the UK, again a business decision. 

One thing is clear though they are going to have to have some senior relief presenters on hand for the BBC 1 team especially with alot of the presenters having other commitments away from reading the news, and network now having the 1 back as well as Saturdays.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:51 AM)Chud Wrote:  It sounds like these chief presenters will do Monday- Friday maybe in 3 hour slots, something like 8am-11pm then Washington and Singapore doing the over night? That would mean the reporter presenters would cover the weekends?
My expectation is that London will probably be 05:00 to about 21:00 - with an 'overnight' schedule of Washington-Singapore-Washington. It'd be odd to lose the current Singapore shift, as Newsday has had a lot of success in that slot and neither Washington or Singapore would really fit the 05:00-08:00 slot as it is past midnight in Washington and middle of the day in Singapore (so neither Breakfast or Evening Peak).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Ash101 - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:58 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 11:51 AM)Chud Wrote:  It sounds like these chief presenters will do Monday- Friday maybe in 3 hour slots, something like 8am-11pm then Washington and Singapore doing the over night? That would mean the reporter presenters would cover the weekends?
My expectation is that London will probably be 05:00 to about 21:00 - with an 'overnight' schedule of Washington-Singapore-Washington. It'd be odd to lose the current Singapore shift, as Newsday has had a lot of success in that slot and neither Washington or Singapore would really fit the 05:00-08:00 slot as it is past midnight in Washington and middle of the day in Singapore (so neither Breakfast or Evening Peak).

Will the new channel not show BBC Breakfast? Aren't they also looking to show Nicky Campbell from 5 Live till 11am?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 12:05 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 11:58 AM)DTV Wrote:  My expectation is that London will probably be 05:00 to about 21:00 - with an 'overnight' schedule of Washington-Singapore-Washington. It'd be odd to lose the current Singapore shift, as Newsday has had a lot of success in that slot and neither Washington or Singapore would really fit the 05:00-08:00 slot as it is past midnight in Washington and middle of the day in Singapore (so neither Breakfast or Evening Peak).

Will the new channel not show BBC Breakfast? Aren't they also looking to show Nicky Campbell from 5 Live till 11am?
Not on the World feed. Even if domestic does still show Breakfast and Campbell (and I don't think they should), World still needs their own breakfast programme.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bbctvtechop - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:57 AM)Kojak Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 11:52 AM)DTV Wrote:  Interesting, this could mean many things - does it mean the proposed breaking team is 24-hours (which seems hard to believe - they haven't had a separate UK night shift, for instance, since 1998) or does it simply mean they'll put up a breaking news graphic; or are we going down a more Euronews route; or are are they prepared to shaft the World audience, on whom the financial viability of the channel is dependent. I don't get the constant vagueness by the BBC on this.

If it is the first option, I'm intrigued because it'd certainly require more resources (and presenters) than I assumed - in which case, there are many questions about why they aren't offering a permanent UK daytime opt.

I suspect the constant vagueness, as you put it, is because the BBC don't really know themselves how it will all work. My expectation is that how any UK-specific breaking news is covered will depend on the importance of the story. I think we'll probably see all of the options you mention at some point, again, depending on the story.

And the importance of the other stories they're covering at the time. I wouldn't like to be the person in charge of deciding whether to cover an active manhunt after a big US shooting vs a significant ministerial resignation at 11pm on a Saturday night, for example.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:58 AM)DTV Wrote:  
Yes I did think that 5-8am slot might still get someone like sally bundock as a presenter reporter shift. 

Also, the BBC One presenter might be the person that becomes the UK breaking news presenter.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 12:05 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  Will the new channel not show BBC Breakfast? Aren't they also looking to show Nicky Campbell from 5 Live till 11am?
Yes, but I was talking about in terms of the World feed of the channel - the UK version will opt out for Breakfast and, for some odd reason, Nicky Campbell in the mornings so will probably miss one-and-a-bit shifts.

As a side note, I don't think we've heard anything about business on the channel. We know that there'll be more Sport - including some UK-only bulletins - but I can't recall seeing business mentioned once. It'd be sad to see World Business Report go (that's been around since 1991), but it wouldn't entirely surprise me - there is much less business on World than there was 15 years ago and it disappeared from the News channel in a previous round of cuts.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 02-02-2023

It's interesting to me how World is very much the favoured child in all of this, whereas 20 or so years ago things were the complete opposite - 24 was the golden child and World was stuck in a broom cupboard with, as Stephen Cole once put it, News 24's cast-offs. How times change, eh? Not even one presenter from the domestic channel is part of the new core lineup. They might as well just go the whole hog and give us Brits the whole World feed, rather than opting out (I mean, Nicky Campbell?! Radio on TV just doesn't work).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Roger Darthwell - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 12:19 PM)Kojak Wrote:  It's interesting to me how World is very much the favoured child in all of this, whereas 20 or so years ago things were the complete opposite - 24 was the golden child and World was stuck in a broom cupboard with, as Stephen Cole once put it, News 24's cast-offs. How times change, eh? Not even one presenter from the domestic channel is part of the new core lineup. They might as well just go the whole hog and give us Brits the whole World feed, rather than opting out (I mean, Nicky Campbell?! Radio on TV just doesn't work).
Because that's where the money flows.......

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - neonemesis - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:52 AM)DTV Wrote:  I don't get the constant vagueness by the BBC on this.

I think the reason behind the vagueness is clear. The reality will be unpalatable to a noisy section of the press.

Kojak Wrote:I suspect the constant vagueness, as you put it, is because the BBC don't really know themselves how it will all work.

I don't believe it's that the BBC doesn't know what it's doing. Let's not forget it is the oldest, most experienced news broadcaster in the world who has had to constantly evolve to both a) stay relevant and b) stay afloat against repeated waves of challenge.

The headline should be "BBC forced to reduce domestic TV news provision due to funding black hole from changing market forces and a hostile government ideology" but instead will be "Clueless BBC bosses shaft the Great British public out of their right to domestic TV news". We see similar hyperbole here on the Forum too, of course.

Better to stay vague...