Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - London Lite - 02-02-2023

I haven't seen Samantha Simmonds present anything on BBC London for a long time now except for the Juniper produced Politics London. She does present shifts on World though.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Brekkie - 02-02-2023

Well if it wasn't clear already it now blatantly is that the UK news channel is closing and the new channel will be nothing more than a simulcast of BBC World.

I won't recover ground covered in earlier posts as to why that might be the case and the onscreen implications of it but what is a disgrace here is how the BBC are doing it without the style of consultation we saw for the closure and subsequent reinstatement of BBC Three. Yes, they usually ignore the responses anyway and go ahead with their plans but even so there is usually at least concessions that can be made, if not entirely compromise.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 04:03 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Well if it wasn't clear already it now blatantly is that the UK news channel is closing and the new channel will be nothing more than a simulcast of BBC World.

I won't recover ground covered in earlier posts as to why that might be the case and the onscreen implications of it but what is a disgrace here is how the BBC are doing it without the style of consultation we saw for the closure and subsequent reinstatement of BBC Three.  Yes, they usually ignore the responses anyway and go ahead with their plans but even so there is usually at least concessions that can be made, if not entirely compromise.
To be honest, it's a little hard to tell if any concessions have been made as the plans for UK output weren't particularly clear to start with and haven't been elucidated on since - including, judging by insider comments, to those who actually work in BBC News! I mean the public plans as they stand are so vague as to stretch from being a loss, but acceptable to potentially dire. Nobody really actually seems to know where we stand.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ACTV - 02-02-2023

My thoughts are with all the on-air team, both on-screen and behind the cameras, who've lost their jobs as a result of the merger. I'd be very shocked if the BBC let go of Jane Hill or Ben Brown, who will probably remain on the One.

It sounds even more now like the merged channel is just going to be BBC World News + Nicky Campbell and the BBC1 bulletins, which will make Sky News the only truly UK-focused national news channel that doesn't focus on right-wing opinion.

On that note, Sky News and ITN would really be missing a trick by not signing up those who are out of the Beeb completely, they've got rid of some real talent with the likes of Martine Croxall and Shaun Ley, and it would be a massive shame if they fade away from our screens.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - BBI45 - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 04:12 PM)ACTV Wrote:  On that note, Sky News and ITN would really be missing  a trick by not signing up those who are out of the Beeb completely, they've got rid of some real talent with the likes of Martine Croxall and Shaun Ley, and it would be a massive shame if they fade away from our screens.

I'm sure we'll see some of them popping up elsewhere. Given how steady figures have been for Times Radio and LBC News, I wonder if we might see some of them jumping to radio.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 02-02-2023

Seeing the 5 presenters on the list, it's obvious the BBC is intending to retain the branded shows to the newly merged channel. Why they would waste time in performing "screen tests" where the fate of the NC presenters are already doomed, the presenters of the four branded shows already have their seats secure:

Matthew Amroliwala (Global)
Christian Fraser (The Context)
Yalda Hakim (Impact)
Lucy Hockings (Live)
Maryam Moshiri

Funny enough the presser from the BBC states "The five chief presenters announced today were recruited via a competitive interview process in accordance with BBC HR procedures."...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 05:25 PM)ALV Wrote:  Seeing the 5 presenters on the list, it's obvious the BBC is intending to retain the branded shows to the newly merged channel. Why they would waste time in performing "screen tests" where the fate of the NC presenters are already doomed, the presenters of the four branded shows already have their seats secure:

Matthew Amroliwala (Global)
Christian Fraser (The Context)
Yalda Hakim (Impact)
Lucy Hockings (Live)
Maryam Moshiri

Funny enough the presser from the BBC states "The five chief presenters announced today were recruited via a competitive interview process in accordance with BBC HR procedures."...

Recruitment process my foot! this is basically hanging everyone on the News Channel out to dry and allowing World to win out!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 05:25 PM)ALV Wrote:  Funny enough the presser from the BBC states "The five chief presenters announced today were recruited via a competitive interview process in accordance with BBC HR procedures."...
I imagine they probably were, if only for the purposes of avoiding/minimising the chances of any claims of unfair dismissal.

Additionally, by making existing presenters apply for the few remaining roles it does potentially allow the BBC to issue new employment contracts. In general this coincidentally often results in a change (i.e reduction) in salary and/or change (usually removal) of other benefits and conditions.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 04:03 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Well if it wasn't clear already it now blatantly is that the UK news channel is closing and the new channel will be nothing more than a simulcast of BBC World.

I won't recover ground covered in earlier posts as to why that might be the case and the onscreen implications of it but what is a disgrace here is how the BBC are doing it without the style of consultation we saw for the closure and subsequent reinstatement of BBC Three.  Yes, they usually ignore the responses anyway and go ahead with their plans but even so there is usually at least concessions that can be made, if not entirely compromise.

Now watch (like BBC Three before it) The News Channel come back in about five years time when the merger flops.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stooky Bill - 02-02-2023

The dominance of World in the merger is not really surprising - its difficult to sell a UK orientated channel to the international audience.

World News is sold by the commercial arm of the BBC, there's lots of advertising and carriage contracts reliant on it. Any merger was always going to benefit that channel over the UK one.