Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 02-02-2023

Sensible choices. I suspect we’ll see some familiar names in the reporter-presenter roles.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 02-02-2023

Yalda Hakim but she’s never on air, she hasn’t even been on impact so far this year.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 06:00 PM)News76 Wrote:  Now watch (like BBC Three before it) The News Channel come back in about five years time when the merger flops.
Ironically, your best hope is that the international channel is successful and so generates enough profit to subsidise a more substantial UK opt-out. With inflation where it is and licence fee trajectories where they are, the money just isn't there for the foreseeable future.

Plus, even if managers do admit defeat, as with BBC Three, it'd be a partial return - likely as per the channel is now. The channel as it was 10 years ago is long gone and a truly supplementary service as it was in the early years is so distant as to be virtually unimaginable.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 06:18 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  The dominance of World in the merger is not really surprising - its difficult to sell a UK orientated channel to the international audience.

World News is sold by the commercial arm of the BBC, there's lots of advertising and carriage contracts reliant on it. Any merger was always going to benefit that channel over the UK one.

Well then we can kiss goodbye to BBC News as a channel until the BBC Three style u-turn in about five years time when they finally realize you cannot merge World and Domestic news on one channel news channel and everything has to be unravelled by which time all the talent will be gone.

(02-02-2023, 06:25 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 06:00 PM)News76 Wrote:  Now watch (like BBC Three before it) The News Channel come back in about five years time when the merger flops.
Ironically, your best hope is that the international channel is successful and so generates enough profit to subsidise a more substantial UK opt-out. With inflation where it is and licence fee trajectories where they are, the money just isn't there for the foreseeable future.

Plus, even if managers do admit defeat, as with BBC Three, it'll be a partial return - likely as per the channel is now. The channel as it was 10 years ago is long gone and a truly supplementary service as it was in the early years is so distant as to be virtually unimaginable.

Ironically a person is allowed to dream that mangers will admit defeat in the same way they did with BBC Three.

And i think you'll find inflation will not stay high forever either meaning the money will turn up at some point when the merger does indeed flop.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 05:47 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 05:25 PM)ALV Wrote:  Seeing the 5 presenters on the list, it's obvious the BBC is intending to retain the branded shows to the newly merged channel. Why they would waste time in performing "screen tests" where the fate of the NC presenters are already doomed, the presenters of the four branded shows already have their seats secure:

Matthew Amroliwala (Global)
Christian Fraser (The Context)
Yalda Hakim (Impact)
Lucy Hockings (Live)
Maryam Moshiri

Funny enough the presser from the BBC states "The five chief presenters announced today were recruited via a competitive interview process in accordance with BBC HR procedures."...

Recruitment process my foot! this is basically hanging everyone on the News Channel out to dry and allowing World to win out!

Yes, but it's no surprise that World has 'won out', World News makes the money. There's no money left for the News Channel, despite what you might want. So if it wasn't for World News, the NC would be closing and there would be nothing to replace it. 
At least, thanks to World, there will still be a semblance of a News Channel from the BBC on air in the UK. Yes, it's sad to see experienced and well liked presenters lose their jobs, but don't blame the BBC for that, blame the government for 12 years of cuts to the license fee.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 06:25 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 06:18 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  The dominance of World in the merger is not really surprising - its difficult to sell a UK orientated channel to the international audience.

World News is sold by the commercial arm of the BBC, there's lots of advertising and carriage contracts reliant on it. Any merger was always going to benefit that channel over the UK one.

Well then we can kiss goodbye to BBC News as a channel until the BBC Three style u-turn in about five years time when they finally realize you cannot merge World and Domestic news on one channel news channel and everything has to be unravelled by which time all the talent will be gone.

I don't think there will be any such U-turn. I think, sadly, this is it for the channel formerly known as News 24. Maybe in a few years they may start to produce more separate output, if there is more money about, but I don't think it'll be anything like even what we have now.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 02-02-2023

[align=left]Remember when Maryam joined World she used the title ''Chief News Presenter'' , that no one understood or heard before. Smile  Turns out that was quite prophetic of her. Big Grin

[/align]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 02-02-2023

It's a very strong line up isn't it.

Really hope they find good roles for Jane Hill (fingers crossed as the replacement for Huw) and Martine Croxall (as the go to UK break-away presenter). Ben Brown always appears like he's a bit blasé about the whole thing and doesn't really want to be there.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 06:25 PM)News76 Wrote:  Ironically a person is allowed to dream that mangers will admit defeat in the same way they did with BBC Three.

And i think you'll find inflation will not stay high forever either meaning the money will turn up at some point when the merger does indeed flop.
Inflation will not stay high forever, but by then the BBC will have had several years of below inflation licence fee increases, if that. Every year the BBC's income falls in real terms means another set of cuts. Even if the BBC is lucky enough to get a government willing to give it budget increases in line with inflation, that'll be several years down the line and will likely involve simply a stabilisation of what is left of the BBC. For 'extra' licence money to exist, you are going to require above inflation increases - which I just find hard to believe will be politically palatable in the foreseeable future unless there is a drastic improvement in the UK's medium-term economic fortunes. Even if that does happen, the axeing of the News channel will just be one in a long list of former or diminished BBC services and programmes hoping for a slice of the pie.

Ergo, the best hope of a more substantial UK service on the new channel is to come from the profits of the international service - which  have been earmarked for domestic BBC News operations. As I've said before, pretty much the entire history of BBC News 24/BBC News has been the original idealised channel being chipped away bit-by-bit - sadly, the progression of what the channel actually is has only really ever been in one direction.

(02-02-2023, 06:44 PM)Moz Wrote:  Really hope they find good roles for Jane Hill (fingers crossed as the replacement for Huw)
This is definitely something where we are in alignment, if it were up to me, she'd be the next BBC election night presenter after Huw - very few presenters are as smooth when it comes to breaking/rolling news as she is and that is just one big rolling news event.

It did occur me to earlier, though it seems quite unlikely, that it wouldn't surprise me if Jane ended up in one of the US presenter positions. I seem to recall that she worked in the US before joining the BBC and has done a lot of stuff with US elections before. It's an outside shout, but if any London-based presenters did transfer, she's surely up there.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 06:22 PM)harshy Wrote:  Yalda Hakim but she’s never on air, she hasn’t even been on impact so far this year.
She actually did a BBC News Special from Afghanistan in one of Impact usual timeslots, it was even broadcast on BBC News Channel:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001hyc5/bbc-news-special-afghanistan 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl9j/2023/01/24