Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Lester - 02-02-2023

It's a sad day for the presenters who through no fault of their own lose their jobs.

I still find it puzzling that the BBC seems to have chosen the international audience over the people that pay for its existence.

harshy - harshy - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 10:56 PM)Lester Wrote:  It's a sad day for the presenters who through no fault of their own lose their jobs.

I still find it puzzling that the BBC seems to have chosen the international audience over the people that pay for its existence.

Well it’s simple really BBC World News is watched by millions and it’s funded by ads, bbc news channel made no money at all and really was showing content produced elsewhere and relied heavily on simulcasts to provide some sort of service.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 10:38 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 09:03 PM)harshy Wrote:  Wasn’t expecting Jane Hill to be in that list they basically got rid of all the news channel presenters there was no process they’ve kept the world presenters on.

I can assure you there will have been a process.

Well yes, there obviously was a recruitment process - there had to be, as a formality if nothing else - but it does still seem a little strange that ALL of the new core lineup are from World anyway, and are staying on in their positions. I'm sure it could well have been a mere coincidence, though.

RE: harshy - Lester - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:03 PM)harshy Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 10:56 PM)Lester Wrote:  It's a sad day for the presenters who through no fault of their own lose their jobs.

Well it’s simple really BBC World News is watched by millions and it’s funded by ads, bbc news channel made no money at all and really was showing content produced elsewhere and relied heavily on simulcasts to provide some sort of service.
 Sad that a country of nearly 70 million has just 1 dedicated news channel. I refuse to include the two new ones which are just cheap Fox chit chat.

harshy - harshy - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:05 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 10:38 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I can assure you there will have been a process.

Well yes, there obviously was a recruitment process - there had to be, as a formality if nothing else - but it does still seem a little strange that ALL of the new core lineup are from World anyway, and are staying on in their positions. I'm sure it could well have been a mere coincidence, though.

Indeed they got Yalda in a tin pot studio controlling an autocue and reading the news, I really don’t think this happened somehow as much as the Beeb think this was the case.

All those presenters who got the job are only established bbc world news presenters.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 02-02-2023

I was going through some old posts and found this from Private Eye back in July:

(17-11-2022, 10:27 PM)Kojak Wrote:  [Image: bbc%20merger.jpg]
Wonder if that last sentence will indeed come to pass?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 02-02-2023

Well Matthew was a News 24/News Channel personality before he joined World. Maryam as well. Yalda is relatively new on World and Fraser is totally new. Lucy is the only World veteran.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 02-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:15 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Wonder if that last sentence will indeed come to pass?
It already has - Lucy Hockings was originally a producer before stepping in front of the camera, as was Sian Williams.

With regard to the presenters mainly coming from World, I don't think it's entirely surprising. Regardless of the levels of UK content of the channel - which we do not actually know for certain - it is going to have a more international lean. The simple reality is that those who have spent years on an international news channel will have better top-of-head knowledge about many potential world news scenarios than those who have generally had to be well briefed on UK news. It thus wouldn't be surprising if the World presenters outperformed the others in the presenter trials.

Plus, bar a few exceptions either way, most of the presenters who were up for audition were of a roughly similar capability when it comes to presenting. When it is that close, considerations such as continuity and existing position are going to come into play (somebody mentioned pay earlier - the figure I've seen quoted for the five senior presenters is roughly what it is for senior WN presenters at present - it'd've been a big pay rise for any News channel presenters).

And we musn't lose sight of the fact that this is just one part of the new channel's presenting team - those who made today's decision will also have been thinking about who'd be able for the presenter-reporter roles, who will be good to be part of the UK breaking team and who has other BBC obligations. There was a lot of fretting about Jane Hill today (which fortunately turned out to be unfounded), but it'd've been odd for them to give one of the five senior positions to a presenter who would be frequently elsewhere on network duties.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - London Lite - 03-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 08:11 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 07:45 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I think News76 is living in a fantasy land (or the early 2000s) where the BBC  has a bottomless pit of money to run as many fully resourced, linear TV channels and radio stations as it likes.
Instead it's desperately trying to survive against the backdrop of a hostile government that has threatened to end the license fee, has cut said license fee to the bone, and is in competition with streaming and digital rivals eating away at its audience.

I'd rather be in the early 2000s/fantasy land than put up with this nonsense from April!

Or do as I do and watch the Six or Ten which continue to be the best of the BBC.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bkman1990 - 03-02-2023

This series of announcements that were being made by the BBC today really make my head spin.

In one way I am disgusted that the BBC management has cut those NC presenters off the BBC payroll at any time from now and within the next 2 months.

In another way I hope that all of those presenters who have lost their jobs today will somehow find their way back on UK screens very soon.

It really has been a process that has left me completely speechless in trying to keep up with who is staying on the merged channel & who is leaving BBC News for good.

If you reading the names on that list while struggling to keep tears from flowing down your face. This moment would be it. It is an absolute disgrace.

The British Government is effectively forcing the BBC to throw it's news gathering capabilities away down the toilet for audiences who live in the UK all because of a few notable words called money and control. It is sick.

There is no other way to describe this farce.

I wonder how Lukesa Burak is taking stock of this news today. She did work for Sky News & AJE before she went to work for the BBC. Is she planning to go to either of those former employers again in the near future.

For the other presenters who have lost their jobs at the BBC. Would there be any job openings for them at the new online news service at ITVX at the moment?