Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Independent - 03-02-2023

(02-02-2023, 11:06 PM)Lester Wrote:   Sad that a country of nearly 70 million has just 1 dedicated news channel. I refuse to include the two new ones which are just cheap Fox chit chat.
Sky News is loss making as others have mentioned elsewhere. France has a similar population size but has four news channels, three private. But the private ones, based on people's description, are very tabloid in nature and are like Fox, GB and Talk. News channels are not sustainable let alone profitable unless they take the route like those in the US.

How many domestic news channels are there in other countries? It would be interesting to see. These come to mind for me:
The US have many because they're wealthy, with a much larger geography and population and pure commentary programming for news channels is acceptable. None are publicly owned IIRC.
Australia has two, ABC and Sky.
Canada has two national ones in English and another two in French, one private and one public for each official language. Two private local news channels.
Denmark have one, publicly owned with ads. Same for Norway but privately owned. But New Zealand with a similar population sizes as the Scandinavian ones has no news channels.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chaose - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 07:40 AM)Independent Wrote:  How many domestic news channels are there in other countries?

Italy has three: Rai News 24, Sky TG24 and Tgcom24. One is public, the others are commercially funded. I think they are all fairly heavy on rolling news.

Germany is a bit more complicated. They have WELT and ntv, which are both commercial. But AIUI these channels are often showing documentaries instead of rolling news. Then there are public offerings like Tagesschau24 or Phoenix, but I don’t think they qualify as rolling news channels for much of the day either.

France has already been mentioned. Just to name three countries of similar or bigger size in Europe.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 03-02-2023

So it looks like the new on air branding for BBC News will be going live from 3 April when BBC World News rebrands as simply BBC News.

BBC News are beginning to communicate the changes out about it to distributors which includes a style guide on updating logos in publications and how to use them.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 02:37 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  This series of announcements that were being made by the BBC today really make my head spin.

In one way I am disgusted that the BBC management has cut those NC presenters off the BBC payroll at any time from now and within the next 2 months.

In another way I hope that all of those presenters who have lost their jobs today will somehow find their way back on UK screens very soon.

It really has been a process that has left me completely speechless in trying to keep up with who is staying on the merged channel & who is leaving BBC News for good.

If you reading the names on that list while struggling to keep tears from flowing down your face. This moment would be it. It is an absolute disgrace.

The British Government is effectively forcing the BBC to throw it's news gathering capabilities away down the toilet for audiences who live in the UK all because of a few notable words called money and control. It is sick.

There is no other way to describe this farce.

I wonder how Lukesa Burak is taking stock of this news today. She did work for Sky News & AJE before she went to work for the BBC. Is she planning to go to either of those former employers again in the near future.

For the other presenters who have lost their jobs at the BBC. Would there be any job openings for them at the new online news service at ITVX at the moment?

Oh please.

harshy - harshy - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 10:46 AM)Worzel Wrote:  So it looks like the new on air branding for BBC News WILL be going live from 3 April when BBC World News rebrands as simply BBC News.

BBC News are beginning to communicate the changes out about it all which includes a style guide on updating logos in publications and how to use them.

Is the style guide public?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 10:46 AM)Worzel Wrote:  So it looks like the new on air branding for BBC News WILL be going live from 3 April when BBC World News rebrands as simply BBC News.

BBC News are beginning to communicate the changes out about it all which includes a style guide on updating logos in publications and how to use them.
3rd April seems an odd choice as it's a week after the clock change which is traditionally when BBC World News made major schedule changes (in addition to their biannual clock shift based schedule changes). I know that this practice has fallen out of favour in recent years, but it seems odd for World to effectively have two schedule changes in a fortnight.

RE: harshy - Worzel - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 10:58 AM)Sharshy Wrote:  

Is the style guide public?
No I don't think so. I've not seen any public links on the BBC website.

harshy - harshy - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 11:01 AM)Worzel Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 10:58 AM)Sharshy Wrote:  Is the style guide public?
No I don't think so. I've not seen any public links on the BBC website.

I wonder if it has information of any new look or will it go for the approach seen in studio b on its screens.

RE: harshy - DTV - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 11:04 AM)harshy Wrote:  I wonder if it has information of any new look or will it go for the approach seen in studio b on its screens.
In terms of studios, the fact we haven't seen any shifts with just two months until launch suggests that the channels will merge into one studio (likely C) and they will then install a new set in the other (likely E) for launch later in the year. I suspect any change in how those sets are used will be along the lines of Studio B.

RE: harshy - Worzel - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 11:04 AM)harshy Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 11:01 AM)Worzel Wrote:  No I don't think so. I've not seen any public links on the BBC website.

I wonder if it has information of any new look or will it go for the approach seen in studio b on its screens.

All I'll say is Monolith Screen.