Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 10:59 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 10:46 AM)Worzel Wrote:  So it looks like the new on air branding for BBC News WILL be going live from 3 April when BBC World News rebrands as simply BBC News.

BBC News are beginning to communicate the changes out about it all which includes a style guide on updating logos in publications and how to use them.
3rd April seems an odd choice as it's a week after the clock change which is traditionally when BBC World News made major schedule changes (in addition to their biannual clock shift based schedule changes). I know that this practice has fallen out of favour in recent years, but it seems odd for World to effectively have two schedule changes in a fortnight.

And with that week also being the Easter weekend as well which makes it even odder.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 11:59 AM)News76 Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 10:59 AM)DTV Wrote:  3rd April seems an odd choice as it's a week after the clock change which is traditionally when BBC World News made major schedule changes (in addition to their biannual clock shift based schedule changes). I know that this practice has fallen out of favour in recent years, but it seems odd for World to effectively have two schedule changes in a fortnight.

And with that week also being the Easter weekend as well which makes it even odder.

At a guess it's probably being done to coincide with the new financial year.

Superman1986 - Superman1986 - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 10:46 AM)Worzel Wrote:  So it looks like the new on air branding for BBC News will be going live from 3 April when BBC World News rebrands as simply BBC News.

BBC News are beginning to communicate the changes out about it to distributors which includes a style guide on updating logos in publications and how to use them.
I wonder if we’ll get a sneak peek closer to the time?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 10:06 AM)chaose Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 07:40 AM)Independent Wrote:  How many domestic news channels are there in other countries?

Italy has three: Rai News 24, Sky TG24 and Tgcom24. One is public, the others are commercially funded. I think they are all fairly heavy on rolling news.

Germany is a bit more complicated. They have WELT and ntv, which are both commercial. But AIUI these channels are often showing documentaries instead of rolling news. Then there are public offerings like Tagesschau24 or Phoenix, but I don’t think they qualify as rolling news channels for much of the day either.

France has already been mentioned. Just to name three countries of similar or bigger size in Europe.

[list]
[*]WELT does at least do rolling news during the day.
[*]ntv's format is more like the news on the hour, features on the half hour format of BBC World 20 years ago.
[*]Neither Tagesschau24 nor Phoenix are rolling news channels. Tagesschau24 simulcasts all the Tagesschau bulletins on Das Erste (much like how BBC News shows all the BBC1 bulletins) and has a 15-minute newswheel outside of that. There is talk of it turning into more of a rolling news channel, though. Phoenix is like a cross between BBC Parliament and National Geographic, plus some signed simulcasts of ARD and ZDF bulletins.
[/list]

RE: harshy - Radio_man - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 11:07 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 11:04 AM)harshy Wrote:  I wonder if it has information of any new look or will it go for the approach seen in studio b on its screens.
In terms of studios, the fact we haven't seen any shifts with just two months until launch suggests that the channels will merge into one studio (likely C) and they will then install a new set in the other (likely E) for launch later in the year. I suspect any change in how those sets are used will be along the lines of Studio B.
If the new channel does 'soft launch' from studio C for the Spring & Summer, let's hope they at least launch with a decent backdrop. The fake newsroom backdrop in C, whilst slightly better than the previous version, is still awful. I've never understood why the dark blue 'ghost pillar' on the far right side of the presenter on screen, and that is clearly in view when the presenter is talking to a guest on the right hand side screen, has never been corrected.

RE: harshy - Worzel - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 12:40 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 11:07 AM)DTV Wrote:  In terms of studios, the fact we haven't seen any shifts with just two months until launch suggests that the channels will merge into one studio (likely C) and they will then install a new set in the other (likely E) for launch later in the year. I suspect any change in how those sets are used will be along the lines of Studio B.
If the new channel does 'soft launch' from studio C for the Spring & Summer, let's hope they at least launch with a decent backdrop. The fake newsroom backdrop in C, whilst slightly better than the previous version, is still awful. I've never understood why the dark blue 'ghost pillar' on the far right side of the presenter on screen, and that is clearly in view when the presenter is talking to a guest on the right hand side screen, has never been corrected.
I suspect it isn't helped by the fact that the backdrop screen in studio C is a) now over 10 years old and has been in pretty continuous use since 2013 and b) is probably not 4K due to its age. Technology and screen panelling has moved on considerably in 11 years, as has the reduced cost of producing them. For example, 4K consumer televisions are pretty much standard and the norm when you buy them from retailers now. Most domestic retailers were flogging 1080p HD televisions in 2012/2013.

When the news channel used the updated rendered newsroom backdrop on the plasma screens in D it always looked much better.

RE: harshy - DTV - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 12:40 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  If the new channel does 'soft launch' from studio C for the Spring & Summer, let's hope they at least launch with a decent backdrop. The fake newsroom backdrop in C, whilst slightly better than the previous version, is still awful. I've never understood why the dark blue 'ghost pillar' on the far right side of the presenter on screen, and that is clearly in view when the presenter is talking to a guest on the right hand side screen, has never been corrected.
Agreed, they should borrow the version used for network bulletins in Studio B which actually seems to have been designed with being a backdrop in mind and which, while a manipulated image, doesn't make that hugely obvious. The Studio C backdrop is just awful for so many reasons, but fundamentally it misses the trick of good newsroom backdrops - narrow perspective. Any flat backdrop always has issues being viewed from any angle other than front on, but wide-angled images just look incredibly distorted when viewed from the side.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 12:57 PM)Worzel Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 12:40 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  If the new channel does 'soft launch' from studio C for the Spring & Summer, let's hope they at least launch with a decent backdrop. The fake newsroom backdrop in C, whilst slightly better than the previous version, is still awful. I've never understood why the dark blue 'ghost pillar' on the far right side of the presenter on screen, and that is clearly in view when the presenter is talking to a guest on the right hand side screen, has never been corrected.
I suspect it isn't helped by the fact that the backdrop screen in studio C is a) now over 10 years old and has been in pretty continuous use since 2013 and b) is probably not 4K due to its age. Technology and screen panelling has moved on considerably in 11 years, as has the reduced cost of producing them. For example, 4K consumer televisions are pretty much standard and the norm when you buy them from retailers now. Most domestic retailers were flogging 1080p HD televisions in 2012/2013.

When the news channel used the updated rendered newsroom backdrop on the plasma screens in D it always looked much better.
Ok, so if the backdrop in C cannot be improved, the BBC's new flagship news channel should at least be 'soft launching' from a decent studio, for example from D, that has at least been refreshed in the new BBC News studio look.
Then move all BBC 1 network bulletins, Hardtalk and the main BBC London bulletins into B, and keep studio C for BBC London at Breakfast & weekends, and possibly for the first few months as the UK only 'breaking news' studio.
Newsnight can still come from D as it looks like the News Channel would be finished with D by 9:55pm every weeknight.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 01:48 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 12:57 PM)Worzel Wrote:  I suspect it isn't helped by the fact that the backdrop screen in studio C is a) now over 10 years old and has been in pretty continuous use since 2013 and b) is probably not 4K due to its age. Technology and screen panelling has moved on considerably in 11 years, as has the reduced cost of producing them. For example, 4K consumer televisions are pretty much standard and the norm when you buy them from retailers now. Most domestic retailers were flogging 1080p HD televisions in 2012/2013.

Ok, so if the backdrop in C cannot be improved, the BBC's new flagship news channel should at least be 'soft launching' from a decent studio, for example from D, that has at least been refreshed in the new BBC News studio look.
Then move all BBC 1 network bulletins, Hardtalk and the main BBC London bulletins into B, and keep studio C for BBC London at Breakfast & weekends, and possibly for the first few months as the UK only 'breaking news' studio.
Newsnight can still come from D as it looks like the News Channel would be finished with D by 9:55pm every weeknight.

There are surely rehearsals for the new service taking place somewhere at NBH. We can only assume they are happening in D throughout the day or in E at weekends?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 01:48 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 12:57 PM)Worzel Wrote:  I suspect it isn't helped by the fact that the backdrop screen in studio C is a) now over 10 years old and has been in pretty continuous use since 2013 and b) is probably not 4K due to its age. Technology and screen panelling has moved on considerably in 11 years, as has the reduced cost of producing them. For example, 4K consumer televisions are pretty much standard and the norm when you buy them from retailers now. Most domestic retailers were flogging 1080p HD televisions in 2012/2013.

I suspect the refit of studio E is actually going to be quite complicated because of where its situated right in the middle of the newsroom and will likely cause some disruption to the journalists situated on that floor. 

My guess is the staff based at the desks will have to move to allow the studio to be refitted with set riggers/builders being there and all the extra noise.

I would guess they'll use the opportunity to upgrade the cameras in E to the same ones recently installed in B and carry out the necessary gallery upgrades at the same time.

Finally, I assume they'd also replace (or completely remove) the broken newsroom hoop on the roof and replace the blown strip lightbulbs and spotlights in one go.

When you think about it and break it down, there's quite a bit they have to consider in preparation even before they start any studio refit.

Studio B's refit must surely have be easier because of its location in NBH and being a proper television studio and out of the way of the newsroom.