Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 02:24 PM)Worzel Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 01:48 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Ok, so if the backdrop in C cannot be improved, the BBC's new flagship news channel should at least be 'soft launching' from a decent studio, for example from D, that has at least been refreshed in the new BBC News studio look.
Then move all BBC 1 network bulletins, Hardtalk and the main BBC London bulletins into B, and keep studio C for BBC London at Breakfast & weekends, and possibly for the first few months as the UK only 'breaking news' studio.
Newsnight can still come from D as it looks like the News Channel would be finished with D by 9:55pm every weeknight.
I suspect the refit of studio E is actually going to be quite complicated because of where its situated right in the middle of the newsroom and will likely cause some disruption to the journalists situated on that floor. 

My guess is the staff based at the desks will have to move to allow the studio to be refitted with set riggers/builders being there and all the extra noise.

I would guess they'll use the opportunity to upgrade the cameras in E to the same ones recently installed in B and carry out the necessary gallery upgrades at the same time.

Finally, I assume they'd also replace (or completely remove) the broken newsroom hoop on the roof and replace the blown strip lightbulbs and spotlights in one go.

When you think about it and break it down, there's quite a bit they have to consider in preparation even before they start any studio refit.
Which is why it makes even more sense for the new channel to move into D in April, if it's going to be many months before E can be fully refurbished and is ready.
C can be kept going on a back-up/standby basis and for the Breakfast & weekend BBC London updates that just need a fixed camera and backdrop.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 02:24 PM)Worzel Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 01:48 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Ok, so if the backdrop in C cannot be improved, the BBC's new flagship news channel should at least be 'soft launching' from a decent studio, for example from D, that has at least been refreshed in the new BBC News studio look.
Then move all BBC 1 network bulletins, Hardtalk and the main BBC London bulletins into B, and keep studio C for BBC London at Breakfast & weekends, and possibly for the first few months as the UK only 'breaking news' studio.
Newsnight can still come from D as it looks like the News Channel would be finished with D by 9:55pm every weeknight.
I suspect the refit of studio E is actually going to be quite complicated because of where its situated right in the middle of the newsroom and will likely cause some disruption to the journalists situated on that floor. 

My guess is the staff based at the desks will have to move to allow the studio to be refitted with set riggers/builders being there and all the extra noise.

I would guess they'll use the opportunity to upgrade the cameras in E to the same ones recently installed in B and carry out the necessary gallery upgrades at the same time.

Finally, I assume they'd also replace (or completely remove) the broken newsroom hoop on the roof and replace the blown strip lightbulbs and spotlights in one go.

When you think about it and break it down, there's quite a bit they have to consider in preparation even before they start any studio refit.

Studio B's refit must surely have be easier because of its location in NBH and being a proper television studio and out of the way of the newsroom.

I mean, it's not as if there aren't plenty of desks at NBH. The business unit always looks so derelict. Coupled with the fact so many units have been relocated it won't pose too much of a problem. 

IIRC the Newsroom was fully operational while work continued on E when World moved in.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 03-02-2023

Most of the computer screens in the first row behind the newsroom seem to be permanently turned off these days, seems like no one is using them or sitting there. This has contributed to the newsroom background looking pretty dire.

10 am this morning, a time when you would expect the newsroom to be chock-a-block full.

[Image: vlcsnap-2023-02-03-11h00m28s108.png]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 02:31 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Which is why it makes even more sense for the new channel to move into D in April, if it's going to be many months before E can be fully refurbished and is ready.
C can be kept going on a back-up/standby basis and for the Breakfast & weekend BBC London updates that just need a fixed camera and backdrop.
I could be wrong but I believe reading that the cameras in D aren't on tracks, so presumably any repositioning of them would have to be done manually. Whilst fine for regional news bulletins it's not ideal of a rolling news channel, where you may have guests coming in and out of the studio throughout the day.

Baring in mind the BBC appear to be going for a soft relaunch I'd imagine they'll continue using C whilst refitting out E, or possibly vice-versa. That way any change is less noticeable at first glance to the viewer, as the set in the studio appears to be the same (or at least familiar). There's also more space for guests/reporters to appear in the studio alongside the presenter.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 03-02-2023

I miss the London skyline backdrops in Studio C SO MUCH... They're so beautiful and they make the studio look much more vibrant and dynamic:
[Image: 1a5add933d7563fa471d5155a5f24f98.png]

I really hope they will re-introduce the skyline backdrops when they soft launch the new channel. IMO the skyline backdrops will make so much more sense, as it'll allow them to emphasize the location of the bulletins being produced. They already have certain revisions of the London backdrops from other programmes and I think they can be reused:

London (Daytime from The Briefing/Nighttime from The Context):
[Image: 4508da67dcfe5b7cf8e6ce2754e06c5c.png]

Washington (Daytime/Nighttime):
[Image: 057451c4598900e8bd0f072dad8cf70e.png]

Singapore (Daytime only):
[Image: dd3b9898e3547eec539bcebf0c00c4ea.png]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 02:40 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Most of the computer screens in the first row behind the newsroom seem to be permanently turned off these days, seems like no one is using them or sitting there. This has contributed to the newsroom background looking pretty dire.

10 am this morning, a time when you would expect the newsroom to be chock-a-block full.

Reminds me of this. 

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2019/04/10/cnn-newsroom-time-warner-center/ 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 02:41 PM)Keith Wrote:  I could be wrong but I believe reading that the cameras in D aren't on tracks, so presumably any repositioning of them would have to be done manually.  Whilst fine for regional news bulletins it's not ideal of a rolling news channel, where you may have guests coming in and out of the studio throughout the day.
They aren't tracked, but three of the four cameras have fully robotic peds (i.e. can move of their own accord) and the other one has a remote head (which was the situation in N6), so it wouldn't be super difficult to have a news channel from D for an extended period. That said, both in C while E is refitted would be the route I expect them to go down.

As for work on E causing disurption in the newsroom, I wouldn't expect it would be especially disruptive - as Newsroom said, the newsroom was in operation while E was still being fitted out last time and it's stage door is round the back. I would also expect the separating glass to be reasonably soundproof.

Worzel - Worzel - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 02:53 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 02:40 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Most of the computer screens in the first row behind the newsroom seem to be permanently turned off these days, seems like no one is using them or sitting there. This has contributed to the newsroom background looking pretty dire.

Reminds me of this. 

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2019/04/10/cnn-newsroom-time-warner-center/ 

Well the BBC News channel is being disassembled right in front of our eyes, so the likeness is definitely there!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 02:41 PM)ALV Wrote:  I miss the London skyline backdrops in Studio C SO MUCH... They're so beautiful and they make the studio look much more vibrant and dynamic

I really hope they will re-introduce the skyline backdrops when they soft launch the new channel. IMO the skyline backdrops will make so much more sense, as it'll allow them to emphasize the location of the bulletins being produced.

The London skyline backdrops do work really well in studio C, but no doubt they were dropped from World when the NC & World started simulcasting much more often from C, because the BBC is terrified of being seen as being 'London centric' when broadcasting news programmes to UK audiences.
(Even though Joe public knows that BBC Network news comes from........ London Rolleyes )

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Spencer - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 03:19 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 02:41 PM)ALV Wrote:  I miss the London skyline backdrops in Studio C SO MUCH... They're so beautiful and they make the studio look much more vibrant and dynamic

I really hope they will re-introduce the skyline backdrops when they soft launch the new channel. IMO the skyline backdrops will make so much more sense, as it'll allow them to emphasize the location of the bulletins being produced.

The London skyline backdrops do work really well in studio C, but no doubt they were dropped from World when the NC & World started simulcasting much more often from C, because the BBC is terrified of being seen as being 'London centric' when broadcasting news programmes to UK audiences.
(Even though Joe public knows that BBC Network news comes from........ London Rolleyes )

That said though, considering the new sets in Belfast and Nottingham (and presumably the rest of the new regional ones) are based on having skyline backgrounds, it could be something they're moving towards across BBC News.

As for the London centric thing, that may be less of a concern given the new news channel will be primarily geared towards an international audience.