Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 10:51 PM)I'm Moz Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 06:37 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Well no one told BBC Wales this, as their new studio, launched in Sept 2020, has a backdrop of their main newsroom, as with E in NBH.

Wales wouldn’t be able to use a skyline. It’s already derided where I live as being too South Walian. There’s a massive North/South divide in Wales and Cardiff is particularly not liked in North Wales.
Not sure how true that is. 

ITV Wales still use a skyline of Cardiff and BBC Wales Today did for many many years. 

Cardiff is the capital of Wales, and the Welsh Govt are based there, it's not a choice for those living in North Wales.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 03-02-2023

The thing about the 'we can't have x backdrop because of a perception of x-centricity' is that surely these days it isn't beyond the capabilities of a reasonably competent designer to create a good quality 'patchwork' skyline backdrop featuring highlights from across the region/country. I mean, that's what the 2013 BBC World News skyline backdrops were - they are an artifical representation of London to get more landmarks in. IIRC, Impact's 2013 backdrop was similarly a collection of famous Asian buildings. Plus, let's be frank, with some of the BBC regions' home cities there aren't really enough landmarks for a straight skyline to be anything but a little bit non-descript.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 11:35 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 10:59 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Not sure how true that is. 

ITV Wales still use a skyline of Cardiff and BBC Wales Today did for many many years. 

Cardiff is the capital of Wales, and the Welsh Govt are based there, it's not a choice for those living in North Wales.

Well London is the capital of the UK and the UK government are based there, but there’s plenty who are against London-centric imagery.

Surely only independent countries have capitals, so Cardiff isn’t really a proper capital. It was just given to Wales (not until the 1950s) to pander to the Welsh nationalists, just like the 1920s made up flag.
Oki doki then.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Global TV - 04-02-2023

Talking about other countries news channels, Portugal is a interesting one. With a population of 10M people, they have 4!! news channels. CMTV is a very tabloid news channels (it cames from a newspaper with the same name, more a less as bad as the Sun) with a 5% share and roughly 100 viewers per day. Then you have CNN Portugal, a one year channel but with 3% of share and SIC Notícias with 2,5%. This two are news channels associated with the 2 main private broadcasters without a proper newsroom. Finally you have RTP3, the public news service with 1%. This 3 are pretty similar and are credible channels. Nevertheless , Portuguese news channels are full of sports show, the public broadcaster not that much, but the other 2 have more a less an hour and a half of sports discussion a day and CMTV spent almost all their primetime and part of the afternoon doing it.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bilky asko - 04-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 11:35 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 10:59 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Not sure how true that is. 

Well London is the capital of the UK and the UK government are based there, but there’s plenty who are against London-centric imagery.

Surely only independent countries have capitals, so Cardiff isn’t really a proper capital. It was just given to Wales (not until the 1950s) to pander to the Welsh nationalists, just like the 1920s made up flag.

Though this is hardly relevant to this forum, US states all have capitals, as do states within many other countries. There are numerous countries with multiple capitals, as well as some with none. Countries change capitals and gain capitals. Also, all flags are also made up - none occur naturally.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 04-02-2023

It appears the latest edition of Newswatch was recorded in a flash studio and without autocue. Just one shot to camera throughout.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 04-02-2023

(04-02-2023, 09:32 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  It appears the latest edition of Newswatch was recorded in a flash studio and without autocue. Just one shot to camera throughout.

Perhaps studio A is getting a revamp?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 04-02-2023

(04-02-2023, 10:56 AM)Chud Wrote:  
(04-02-2023, 09:32 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  It appears the latest edition of Newswatch was recorded in a flash studio and without autocue. Just one shot to camera throughout.
Perhaps studio A is getting a revamp?
It does need an upgrade - preferably to whatever engine BBC Sport were using for the Tokyo Olympics - but I wouldn't rule out other things. If they are doing pilots for the new channel, I'd expect A would offer the least disruption. Or it could be that the Newswatch team got bored of having a set that looked like it was rendered by a Nintendo GameCube circa 2001.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Alx321 - 04-02-2023

I feel like there won’t be any need for Studio A and C when the new channel is launched, I think they will both be mothballed. As you will have:
Studio B- BBC One bulletins/BBC London
Studio D- Back up studio for B and E, Uk opt outs, pre recorded programs
Studio E- The new news channel
Studio F (small green studio)- Pre recorded programs, UK opt outs, BBC London breakfast and headlines

This move is about cost cutting they won’t want any more studios than they need because they will need maintenance. Which is why will will probably see more of F on screen as it is smaller.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - qwerty123 - 04-02-2023

(04-02-2023, 02:34 PM)Alx321 Wrote:  I feel like there won’t be any need for Studio A and C when the new channel is launched, I think they will both be mothballed. As you will have:
Studio B- BBC One bulletins/BBC London
Studio D- Back up studio for B and E, Uk opt outs, pre recorded programs
Studio E- The new news channel
Studio F (small green studio)- Pre recorded programs, UK opt outs, BBC London breakfast and headlines

This move is about cost cutting they won’t want any more studios than they need because they will need maintenance. Which is why will will probably see more of F on screen as it is smaller.

I actually wonder if it will be C and E that are mothballed when the new channel is launched and even potential whether A is currently being fitted with a new physical set for the new channel to launch from. A has largely been discounted as an option by most on this forum because it is currently a virtual set but it is the same size as C and given the gallery would need various upgrades whichever studio was chosen the changes required to operate it as a physical set would add relatively little in the way of extra work.
If they are wanting to use skyline backgrounds which would make sense for a multi-location channel E isn’t really an option and by using A rather than C they are able to start building the new set whilst current operations continue with relatively little disruption.