Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 04-02-2023

At present when NC and World are the same apart from on screen graphics it seems on 38 East SD is always ahead if HD anyway dye to processing for MPEG4)/HD etc but...

19 East HD is almost in line with SD on NC on 28 East. NC is half a second behind 19 East.

So looks like 19 east comes first, relayed to NC with different graphics on top. So if World us the source effectively they must have done it this way in preparation for merger.

Unless if course it's always been line that?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 04-02-2023

(04-02-2023, 02:48 PM)qwerty123 Wrote:  I actually wonder if it will be C and E that are mothballed when the new channel is launched and even potential whether A is currently being fitted with a new physical set for the new channel to launch from. A has largely been discounted as an option by most on this forum because it is currently a virtual set but it is the same size as C and given the gallery would need various upgrades whichever studio was chosen the changes required to operate it as a physical set would add relatively little in the way of extra work.
If they are wanting to use skyline backgrounds which would make sense for a multi-location channel E isn’t really an option and by using A rather than C they are able to start building the new set whilst current operations continue with relatively little disruption.
I guess that this is a possibility and there is no reason that A can't be refitted with a physical set, but I've always assumed they'd launch in E because you'd have to be mad to give up one of the best views in news broadcasting. Also A's VR set was being used as recently as last week and, based on the fact it has taken around three months for regional sets to be installed, I'm sceptical they'd be able to uninstall the VR tech, install a new set and rehearse with that set in just two months.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 04-02-2023

Will the UK Version of the new channel have a dedicated pres suite at Red Bee, just like WN?

Moving TX outputs seem like a huge engineering work but I haven't observed anything yet that engineering preparations are underway, despite the launch is 2 months away... It feels like the galleries at NBH will continue to play their own countdowns and trailers for the UK ver at the initial soft launch, while Red Bee pres will continue to do their own thing for the international ver.

The same thing goes for new graphics. There are no news/leaks yet that they are piloting new graphics yet the launch is 2 months away...

Usually at this time they should be piloting new graphics and we'll be hearing lots of news from different sources here and on Twitter, just like the Reith launch back then~ It feels like they're gonna retain the old titles and graphics, swap out the BBC World News bug with the BBC News bug for the international feed, and gradually introduce new graphics later...

It's so weird there still aren't much news yet on preparation work...

https://bbcnews.bbcstudios.com/ 
By the way, I just came across this page on BBC Studios... Is the entire BBC News division now under BBC Studios? I think it used to be separate - The BBC News Channel itself is directly under BBC Television (along with other domestic channels), while BBC World News is under a separate individual entity called BBC Global News Ltd... I suppose the restructure work is a recent thing in preparation for the merger?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Transmission - 04-02-2023

I don't imagine it will need a suite of its own, World News pres already handles mutiple opts and this will just be another one.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 04-02-2023

Talking about studios, will world news America come from Washington or New York as it’s been coming from New York a lot recently. Does New York have a full television studio as it only seems to have a single locked camera? And will it now be called BBC News America?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 04-02-2023

(04-02-2023, 04:44 PM)Chud Wrote:  Talking about studios, will world news America come from Washington or New York as it’s been coming from New York a lot recently. Does New York have a full television studio as it only seems to have a single locked camera? And will it now be called BBC News America?
BBC News in America will come from Washington and I expect decamps to New York will be less frequent with the increase in presenters and investment in the Washington team (currently it is only in New York if the Washington presenters are unavailable). AFAIK, New York is only a single-camera set-up these days, though they used to have a larger studio over in the early-2000s that was used for the main evening WBR.

I don't know what is happening with existing strands, but I doubt they'd rename it to BBC News America if it remains. World News America is a separate brand that precedes BBC World News anyway (indeed, in 2007, standard news bulletins were marketed as BBC News).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 04-02-2023

(04-02-2023, 04:44 PM)Chud Wrote:  Talking about studios, will world news America come from Washington or New York as it’s been coming from New York a lot recently. Does New York have a full television studio as it only seems to have a single locked camera? And will it now be called BBC News America?

The New York studio is just a tiny clip studio with 1 camera, a green screen and a black table. It can't even fit a laptop:
https://twitter.com/LauraTrevelyan/status/1582475370724483099 

The clip studios in NBH (F/G/H) probably have similar setups. I believe this is Studio G?
[Image: 48e471890fe960404e06dc6012a10c7b.png]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 04-02-2023

(04-02-2023, 05:35 PM)ALV Wrote:  

The New York studio is just a tiny clip studio with 1 camera and a green screen:
https://twitter.com/LauraTrevelyan/status/1582475370724483099 

The clip studios in NBH (F/G/H) probably have similar setups. I believe this is Studio G?
[Image: 48e471890fe960404e06dc6012a10c7b.png]

All the announcements so far indicate the live output will be from the Washington Bureau. 

WNA tends to come from New York more often than not when Laura Trevelyan is presenting probably due to the fact she lives there. It's rare she does a full week out of Washington. One wonders whether the US presenting team are having to re-apply for their roles - including Laura Trevelyan.

As pointed out above, output from New York wouldn't really work due to the half baked set up.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - UTVLifer - 04-02-2023

I would suspect that once the new anchors (I think it's read somewhere that they'll be two) are added to the Washington line-up, the frequency of WNA's decamps to New York will decrease quite a bit - which have only been happening more regularly since Katty left in June 2021 and Laura Trevelyan became the main WNA anchor

On a separate note, they've started to do more stand-up presentation in the Washington studio recently for WNA, making full use of the space and those screens
https://youtu.be/CVtSU6fqxkA 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 04-02-2023

(04-02-2023, 08:44 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  I would suspect that once the new anchors (I think it's read somewhere that they'll be two) are added to the Washington line-up, the frequency of WNA's decamps to New York will decrease quite a bit - which have only been happening more regularly since Katty left in June 2021 and Laura Trevelyan became the main WNA anchor

On a separate note, they've started to do more stand-up presentation in the Washington studio recently for WNA, making full use of the space and those screens
https://youtu.be/CVtSU6fqxkA 
Looks so much better than the single camera in New York.