Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

chris - chris - 05-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 02:35 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(05-02-2023, 01:42 PM)Manxy Wrote:  One question that has sprung to my mind whilst watching the countdown in that WNA clip is which countdown soundtrack will end up on the new channel. It’d be a shame to lose the unique World News sound after all these years

It's entirely plausible that there's a new round of music due with the launch of the new service.

Fingers crossed. It’s a decade since we’ve had a new countdown (assuming a countdown still exists on the channel of course!)

RE: chris - Newsroom - 05-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 02:40 PM)chris Wrote:  
(05-02-2023, 02:35 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  It's entirely plausible that there's a new round of music due with the launch of the new service.

Fingers crossed. It’s a decade since we’ve had a new countdown (assuming a countdown still exists on the channel of course!)

I think I'm correct in saying that this is the longest period of no changes to the BBC News Music since David Lowe reinvented it in 1999.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Frances - 05-02-2023

(04-02-2023, 08:53 PM)Worzel Wrote:  
(04-02-2023, 04:11 PM)ALV Wrote:  Will the UK Version of the new channel have a dedicated pres suite at Red Bee, just like WN?

Moving TX outputs seem like a huge engineering work but I haven't observed anything yet that engineering preparations are underway, despite the launch is 2 months away... It feels like the galleries at NBH will continue to play their own countdowns and trailers for the UK ver at the initial soft launch, while Red Bee pres will continue to do their own thing for the international ver.

The same thing goes for new graphics. There are no news/leaks yet that they are piloting new graphics yet the launch is 2 months away...

Usually at this time they should be piloting new graphics and we'll be hearing lots of news from different sources here and on Twitter, just like the Reith launch back then~ It feels like they're gonna retain the old titles and graphics, swap out the BBC World News bug with the BBC News bug for the international feed, and gradually introduce new graphics later...

It's so weird there still aren't much news yet on preparation work...

https://bbcnews.bbcstudios.com/ 
By the way, I just came across this page on BBC Studios... Is the entire BBC News division now under BBC Studios? I think it used to be separate - The BBC News Channel itself is directly under BBC Television (along with other domestic channels), while BBC World News is under a separate individual entity called BBC Global News Ltd... I suppose the restructure work is a recent thing in preparation for the merger?

On the email I've seen it said that the new channel was launching on 3rd April and included 'changes to on air branding' in addition to BBC World News changing its name to BBC News.

They just can't relaunch the channel with titles which are now 15 years old and no changes to the music or presentation, to me that would just be silly. The Lambie-Nairn titles, whilst they have aged very well, are now looking quite tired - not helped by the fact they've been butchered and hacked about over the years (starting in 2013) - especially on the domestic news outlets.

I've heard it said that they're doing a phased roll out of the service. To me that's code for 'we're simply unable to implement a new studio, titles and presentation all at the same time'. I just don't understand why its so difficult to deliver these 3 things in one go when other broadcasters seem to manage it fine.

One final point, please, please BBC News can you switch to 16:9 on screen graphics rather than broadcasting them in 4:3. Angel
I think the graphics are all in 14:9 instead of 4:3.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 05-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 02:40 PM)chris Wrote:  
(05-02-2023, 02:35 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  It's entirely plausible that there's a new round of music due with the launch of the new service.

Also, the majority of the clips used in the countdowns are now 7 years old, with only a few minor updates. I think there's still one of Norman Smith used in there somewhere, who left the BBC 3 years ago!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Daveuk - 05-02-2023

Not really sure where to put this but are the BBC News app alerts supposed to be regionalised?

I’m in Dubai and just had a notification about the Happy Valley final.

Most Sundays I get an alert to watch the Sunday morning programme which is of no use to me. 

I can’t see any way in the app to specify which region I am but find it strange if the whole world just got that alert!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - mrarg1393 - 05-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 03:57 PM)Daveuk Wrote:  Not really sure where to put this but are the BBC News app alerts supposed to be regionalised?

Most Sundays I get an alert to watch the Sunday morning programme which is of no use to me. 

I can’t see any way in the app to specify which region I am but find it strange if the whole world just got that alert!

Not as far as I’m aware. It’s a UK based news app so can’t see them doing “regionalised” news alerts… you’d need a Dubai based news app for localised news. Unless they do a BBC World News app but I think it’s just the main News app they have.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 05-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 03:57 PM)Daveuk Wrote:  Not really sure where to put this but are the BBC News app alerts supposed to be regionalised?

To be honest, your particular location is not the reason that that push notification is weird. The increasingly low bar the BBC has for breaking news alerts has become ridiculous and I know of many people who've just turned a once useful service off due to these kinds of notifications. I don't know why they do it, it only serves to irritate people and turn them away from using a BBC service (sometimes in favour of competitors (though many are equally poor on this front)). A breaking news alert should be for breaking news only - not for promotions, not for puff pieces and not for general news stories.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jon - 05-02-2023

I turned my push notifications for BBC News mainly because I’d get breaking news alerts in the middle of the night. For example when last chancellor was called back from a US visit (to later be sacked), I didn’t need to know this in the early hours. I guess if I could be bothered I could probably set the phone to do not disturb or something.

But the most annoying thing was constant human interest magazine stories mainly at weekends often pushing particular ideologies.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 05-02-2023

There are two versions of the BBC News app, both are named "BBC News".

The UK version (featuring the new BBC News block logo):
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/bbc-news/id377382255 

The international version:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bbc-news/id364147881 

As far as I know, the international version doesn't have push alerts for domestic UK stories, such as your weekly reminder to tune in to "Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg".

Maybe someone here with a VPN can try install both versions of the app and tell us the differences in push alerts~

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 05-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 04:13 PM)mrarg1393 Wrote:  It’s a UK based news app so can’t see them doing “regionalised” news alerts… Unless they do a BBC World News app but I think it’s just the main News app they have.
Well, the web version of BBC News is regional specific - it is bbc.co.uk/news, if you are inside the UK, and bbc.com/news, with international stories, if you are outside. The two versions redirect you to one another depending on where you are.

May be, this is the case with the apps as well - one avaliable only inside the UK, along with, for example, iPlayer, and the other available overseas? At least, there are 2 distinct apps in Google Play:
one by BBC Media App Technologies (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bbc.mobile.news.uk ), with the identifier "bbc.mobile.news.uk" (which kind of suggests that it is the UK version)
and another one, still with the old logo, by BBC Studios Limited (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bbc.mobile.news.ww ), with the identifier "bbc.mobile.news.ww" ('ww' - most likely stands for "Worldwide").

In this case, it is likely that this app separation will continue even after the merger of the channels.

UPD. ALV was a little faster!
(05-02-2023, 05:17 PM)ALV Wrote:  Maybe someone here with a VPN can try install both versions of the app and tell us the differences in push alerts~
It does not take just VPN to circumvent geo-restrictions, at least in Google Play - you also have to manually change the region of your account and, may be, disable geopositioning as well.