Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Alf Stewart - 05-02-2023

Yes given Jane, Clive and Reeta seem to appear more often than the likes of Huw and Sophie these days you'd be forgiven for thinking they were 'official' network presenters anyway.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Nick Harvey - 06-02-2023

Radio_man Wrote:Jane Hill has confirmed she's moving permanently to the BBC 1 Network news team
I just hope someone will explain to her that she shouldn't slow down to a snail's pace whenever somebody says something on the talkback.

That really annoys me every time she does it.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - IanJRedman - 06-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 08:48 PM)Andrew Wrote:  
(05-02-2023, 04:55 PM)DTV Wrote:  To be honest, your particular location is not the reason that that push notification is weird. The increasingly low bar the BBC has for breaking news alerts has become ridiculous and I know of many people who've just turned a once useful service off due to these kinds of notifications. I don't know why they do it, it only serves to irritate people and turn them away from using a BBC service (sometimes in favour of competitors (though many are equally poor on this front)). A breaking news alert should be for breaking news only - not for promotions, not for puff pieces and not for general news stories.
I’m sure in the early days of COVID these breaking news alerts only appeared rarely, and you knew it was something fairly big, they seemed to appear on average no more than 1 per day

Now they seem to appear about half a dozen times every single day, and sometimes it isn’t even News
“A minor cabinet minister is about to appear on Laura K’s programme, watch now”
“With strike action tomorrow, our reporter has all the latest”
“This week could be tough for the PM, says Chris Mason”
etc etc

I think there are two categories of breaking news notifications from the BBC News app: as well as the most familiar ones, which trigger a sound and vibration alert, there's also another option for less significant stories (in theory) - where a notification 'silently' appears in the menu, without any pop ups or alerts. In reality though, I've seen non-important stories appear in the first category, so they're not always used properly.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 06-02-2023

Does anyone know how much of the schedule the new fab 5 of chief presenters will cover? Will it just be their existing programmes or will they be on air longer?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 06-02-2023

Also will the ‘main 5’ present at the weekends? Or will these be covered by the ‘8 reporter-presenters’?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 06-02-2023

(06-02-2023, 09:45 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Also will the ‘main 5’ present at the weekends? Or will these be covered by the ‘8 reporter-presenters’?

I was wondering about this too. I was also thinking since Jane and Reeta’s tweet about them now being network presenters, do we think that there’s no more vacancies for anymore network presenters?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - London Lite - 06-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 02:01 PM)watchingtv Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 07:40 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Is Shaun Ley still there? Haven't seen him for a while, at least since The Papers was axed and the weekends were merged. Does he still do stuff on Radio 4?

Now presenting lunchtime bulletin for BBC One

I spotted Shaun on World over the weekend.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 06-02-2023

(06-02-2023, 09:37 PM)Moz Wrote:  Does anyone know how much of the schedule the new fab 5 of chief presenters will cover? Will it just be their existing programmes or will they be on air longer?
Other than Focus on Africa continuing (from Nairobi) and there being a bit more sport programming, very little has been said about the structure and schedule of the World version of the channel, so I don't think we really know anything for certain. I would expect the channel will be from London for around 15/16 hours a day - so maybe five three-hour shifts if they are the only five London weekday presenters. But then we don't know if Atkins and Outside Source will continue (as one of their most successful formats, I assume it will) and they could possibly have one weekday reporter-presenter shift - both would allow for a shift pattern pretty much as per World at present.

As for weekends, I suspect this will be when the presenter-reporters will primarily appear - neither channel (and World in particular) have really ever put their big names on at the weekend, so it'd be odd for them to start now. This'd probably mean you'd have half of the eight presenter-reporters in studio at one time and the other half in the field. It'll be interesting to see how they treat Fridays - since the February 2010 schedule change, World has treated Fridays rather oddly with some 'stranded' programmes only airing Mon-Thurs.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 06-02-2023

(06-02-2023, 09:37 PM)Moz Wrote:  Does anyone know how much of the schedule the new fab 5 of chief presenters will cover? Will it just be their existing programmes or will they be on air longer?

My impression (although I obviously don’t know!) was that the ‘fab 5’ (love that) will largely continue with their current slots, and then some (say, 4?) of the 8 ‘reporter-presenters’ will do weekends, leaving the others as cover.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 06-02-2023

World has quite a fixed schedule on weekdays so I expect that to remain. It's pretty much Sally/Karin or someone/Lucy/Yalda/Matthew/Ross or someone/Christian, at the moment. Hope for a fixed weekend schedule on the new channel.