Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Transmission - 07-02-2023

That does make me a bit nostalgic for the days when you knew it was a really, really big news story when Sky started their top of the hour with sound on tape before the headline music started up.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 09:16 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  
(07-02-2023, 08:40 PM)neonemesis Wrote:  Now that's the kinda cool insight I'm here for!

Glad you found it useful! Unfortunately, I don't have any relevant photos from the BBC, but here are some ITN ones you might enjoy:

1/4" reel to reel tape machine in Studio 6 (Channel 4 News)

[Image: DSC_0600b.jpg]

And here's the actual Instant Replay machine from Studio 4 that serviced the ITN/ITV News Channel:

[Image: Instant%20Replay.jpg]

Channel 4 News SpotOn:

[Image: DSC_0599b.jpg]

Anyway, back to the BBC News merger!
PM'd you Rob.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Lyric - 07-02-2023

"C4 News 2015 2 Min End"

...My curiosity is peaked.  Wink

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 09:32 PM)Lyric Wrote:  "C4 News 2015 2 Min End"

Extended closing titles for news are so interesting - great for those who love listening to them, but virtually redundant as, even if you have planned bits fail or the running order changes, you can usually fill any gaps with a few 20 second stories. BBC World News have always insisted on having long close mixes ready, but almost always end up running so close that the presenter has to rush to finish up - at least a few years ago it wasn't uncommon for the gallery to simply fade out the presenter.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 10:39 PM)DTV Wrote:  

Extended closing titles for news are so interesting - great for those who love listening to them, but virtually redundant as, even if you have planned bits fail or the running order changes, you can usually fill any gaps with a few 20 second stories. BBC World News have always insisted on having long close mixes ready, but almost always end up running so close that the presenter has to rush to finish up - at least a few years ago it wasn't uncommon for the gallery to simply fade out the presenter.
Ha! You are so correct! However, and thinking back to my days working at LNN, BBC and Sky when a long outro would literally save the show. At LNN - my god, we had several shows when almost everything that could fail - did fail and a long outro was one way of filling time. With such incredible music we were able to do just that. With live shots all over the capital it became almost a 'go to' for a pres to say 'we'll leave you tonight with some wonderful shots of London' 

Long live the extended close!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - itsrobert - 07-02-2023

Honestly, it's not that great. It's basically the 60" closing theme with 60" of silence at the start!

DTV is right in that such long closing themes are pretty redundant in news - but the purpose of them is so that the sound mixer can set off the clip 2' before the end of the show and fade it up when needed. It means it's one less thing to worry about towards the end which can be pretty hectic anyway.

The 'loop' version is ingenious and is used across all/most ITN news bulletins. That consists of a 60" track containing 5" of silence at the start. SpotOn is able to loop audio continuously, so the sound mixer could set that 'loop' off 10" before the end of the show and it would still be perfect when needed. The 5" of silence is to allow a short period for the fader to be closed so the start isn't heard again on air.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thegeek - 08-02-2023

I remember Tombstone-era Sky News in the 90s would often finish Sunrise with an extended bit of music and "some of the images of the day's main stories" - I assume it's partly about giving the gallery crew a wee bit more time to swap over as well as being padding in the running order.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 09-02-2023

Tagesschau24 in Germany used to have an interesting approach to this - when swapping presenters, instead of cutting to trailers or similar, they used to go to a wide panning shot of the studio and literally show the presenters leaving/arriving on set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ0tKvomPHI 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 09-02-2023

It'll be interesting to see how the formatting does actually work on the new channel - traditionally with shared programming, World has won out - i.e., you have coming up sequences, closing titles, etc. As some of these things serve as opt points for breaks on World News, I expect some such features to remain, but I could see them going down a more old-style News channel route in how they structure the standard hour - news in the front-half; analysis on top stories + business and sport segments in the back-half - maybe you could add a UK news one too.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 10-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 01:23 PM)damian Wrote:  I used to be a frequent viewer off BBC world news but I think it’s fair to say the past 8 years I’ve watched very little of the channel… just spent the past couple days watching and I do have to stay there are so many structural flaws in the way all the bulletins are. It appears very messy as if everything is just hacked together.

I was going to list a few ways the bulletins could tidy themselves up but I’d be here all week. However the only real thing that bothers me most are the lengthy and tiring toth sequences.

Reduce them to 50seconds or so were the headline bed actually has timed thunderclaps with a pitch change, not just restarting the bed for the next headline.

After the final thunderclap they could say. “This is BBC News from *location* I’m xxx xxx, also in the programme…” after the titles… “it’s 5pm in *uk place name* and 10pm *where top story is happening*

I miss these days of timed toths, that never dragged out.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wbPyUgnjzVs&si 

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EKP0YWGq6z8&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE 

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UMqR3JVIy2s&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE 

These short n sharp toths ended when BBC World moved to N8 studio and got longer when they relaunched in NBH

Also bring back sport and business stings during the bulletin?

Which studio was BBC world in back then? All the current Studio C or another? I don't remember the vmfurstbif those 3 but the music has been much the same fir around 20 years now