Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 10-02-2023

(10-02-2023, 01:33 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Which studio was BBC world in back then? All the current Studio C or another? I don't remember the vmfurstbif those 3 but the music has been much the same fir around 20 years now
No, BBC World News was not even in the same building. BBC World News, BBC News Channel and the BBC News bulletins all moved into its current home, the New Broadcasting House, in the early 2013 (when it was built). Prior to that, for fifty years the headquarters for BBC Television was Television Centre (TVC).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_Centre,_London 
In the BBC Nostalgia thread, DTV wrote a complete story of World News studios while in TVC, take a look: https://pres.cafe/showthread.php?tid=24&pid=994#pid994 
After 2013 up to 2019-2020 BBC World News had also programs (e.g. GMT) coming on air from the (old) Studio B.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 10-02-2023

I wonder if one of the reasons why BBC News gets to beef up their Washington DC capabilities is because of all the advertisements they are getting with the help of AMC Networks' marketing.

Most of the adverts in Asia-Pacific feed seems to target the usual business travelers and companies, like CNNI, but the US feed has a lot of adverts featuring mainstream brands.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 10-02-2023

(10-02-2023, 09:29 PM)bakamann Wrote:  I wonder if one of the reasons why BBC News gets to beef up their Washington DC capabilities is because of all the advertisements they are getting with the help of AMC Networks' marketing.

Most of the adverts in Asia-Pacific feed seems to target the usual business travelers and companies, like CNNI, but the US feed has a lot of adverts featuring mainstream brands.
The advertising revenue certainly helps - and the US is such a key advertising market for the channel (it was the main driver in the channel's shift to profitability after 2006), but I don't think the decision to beef up Washington is really down to that. Basically, they want to cut down the number of people working overnight shifts in London and moving it to Washington is more attractive than Singapore. A bigger US presence also helps to solidify the BBC's place as a noteworthy player in the US media market and US stories are more attractive to global audiences, so having extra resources there helps.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 11-02-2023

The World & NC joint service weekend shifts do seem very unbalanced at the moment. Today, Martine was on 1000 - 1230 and did the 1300 BBC 1 bulletin, with Lewis Vaughan Jones doing a marathon 6 hour afternoon shift 1300 - 1900, yet in recent weeks there's been two evening shifts; 1900 - 2200 and 2200 - 0100 also for a 6 hour period. 
(Of course weekend overnights have always been a marathon, I remember back in the late 2000s the great Alistair Yates doing midnight until 6am on most Saturday overnights.) 

After the formal merger, maybe weekend shifts will be evened out a bit with the two evening shifts each starting earlier so the current afternoon shift isn't so much of a marathon.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Alf Stewart - 11-02-2023

Lewis finished at 18.00 not 19.00 so only a five hour shift, pretty standard for weekends. Lukwesa is on at 18.00.

But I agree. Pretty odd shift patterns at the moment.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 11-02-2023

Lukwesa will most probably stay on until 22:00, when somebody else will take over until 01:00. Sunday evenings generally the presenter does 18:00-23:00, when Newsday starts.

I agree too, very unusual shift patterns!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 07:18 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Lukwesa will most probably stay on until 22:00, when somebody else will take over until 01:00. Sunday evenings generally the presenter does 18:00-23:00, when Newsday starts.

I agree too, very unusual shift patterns!

Thanks for the warning! Lukwesa = Bye!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 11-02-2023

The weekend morning/afternoon shifts shifts are sometimes 3 or 4 hours long... It just depends on which team is handling the lunchtime national bulletin.

For example, last Saturday Shaun Ley did the morning shift from 1000-1400, while Ben Boulos and the afternoon shift team handled the national bulletin at 1300 and then went on the NC from 1400-1900.

On the contrary, last Sunday Shaun Ley and the morning shift team was on from 1000-1300, then did the national bulletin at 1300. Lewis Vaughan Jones and the afternoon shift team went on NC from 1300-1800.

I assume they are still ironing out the new shift patterns during this transitioning period...

The early morning shifts are also weirdly short recently on WN... For example, Chris Rogers was on WN this morning for 2 hours only from 0800-1000.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 11-02-2023

That Saturday afternoon shift has been long for as long (ha!) as I can remember. It was Peter Sissons’ regular shift for quite a few years.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Alf Stewart - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 08:19 PM)Kojak Wrote:  That Saturday afternoon shift has been long for as long (ha!) as I can remember. It was Peter Sissons’ regular shift for quite a few years.

Yes, I recall Maxine Mawhinney often doing marathon shifts at the weekend. 10.00-16.00 on a Saturday and 13.00-19.00 on a Sunday if I recall.