Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 15-02-2023

So the breaking news of Nicola Sturgeon resigning this morning is of huge UK importance - but will it be deemed important enough on the new channel to roll with on World as well? Or would this be when we get a reporter spring into action in a virtual cupboard studio, pedalling their own autocue for a few hours?

The news broke just before 10am, so the joint 10am hour is going ahead as usual now, presumably because it was too late to get someone into World's studio to separate this morning.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 01:05 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  There's absolutely no reason for simulcasts on the new channel of anything other than the 1/6/10, other than for the BBC to be able to claim it's providing UK relevant content on the new channel.

The idea to stick cameras in Nicky Campbell's radio studio, and claim that is 2 hours of UK only content every day, is just mad.
Absolutely agree that it is largely redundant to simulcast unless you are going do to something like BSL signing with it. As you say, the push to simulcast all network news and current affairs content is so clearly an attempt to push up the UK only % on the new channel.

And Nicky Campbell - I am just bemused everytime I'm reminded of this. I mean, I'm not wholesale opposed to visualised radio if done properly, but that wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list of BBC radio programmes that could actually be useful to visualise on the new channel. I imagine it is really a case of Campbell's show being 'right place, right time'.

(15-02-2023, 12:33 AM)Kojak Wrote:  So - keep World (or News, as it will be known) for international coverage, and the network bulletins/radio/website for UK events. I think that’s about as good a compromise as we’d get.
I think that a better compromise might be available, but it's clear that the BBC aren't interested in going down that road (at least not at the minute, they might be holding something up their sleeve in case blowback is notable). Plus, I'm not sure the new channel has to wholly be international to at least work. Though I've always been clear on the importance of the profitability of the international channel, I think you can introduce a certain level of UK news and get away with it. It's just about setting boundaries so that UK news doesn't overstep the mark - I'll try and demonstrate what I mean later.

When it comes to the UK breaking news opt outs, I'm going to reserve judgement until I actually see them. I've always been sceptical about them, but have just read too many contradictory accounts of the proposals to write them off completely.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - aaron_scotland - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 11:17 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  So the breaking news of Nicola Sturgeon resigning this morning is of huge UK importance - but will it be deemed important enough on the new channel to roll with on World as well? Or would this be when we get a reporter spring into action in a virtual cupboard studio, pedalling their own autocue for a few hours?

The news broke just before 10am, so the joint 10am hour is going ahead as usual now, presumably because it was too late to get someone into World's studio to separate this morning.

She has a speech at 11am, Curious if BBC 1 Scotland will take it.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - UTVLifer - 15-02-2023

This news about Sturgeon seems to have taken everybody by surprise - with Sky rushing Kay Burley back on air 10 minutes after she finished the breakfast show, whilst it broke too late in the 9AM hour to give the BBC enough time to get someone else on standby for World News and NC to separate

(15-02-2023, 11:17 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  So the breaking news of Nicola Sturgeon resigning this morning is of huge UK importance - but will it be deemed important enough on the new channel to roll with on World as well? Or would this be when we get a reporter spring into action in a virtual cupboard studio, pedalling their own autocue for a few hours?

I think this a case (and time) where World taking rolling UK news like this is justified. First Minister of Scotland is fairly powerful role for a subnational leader and has even more symbolic power. Plus Sturgeon has longevity and a degree of international reputation that justifies it.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - aaron_scotland - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 11:23 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  This news about Sturgeon seems to have taken everybody by surprise - with Sky rushing Kay Burley back on air 10 minutes after she finished the breakfast show, whilst it broke too late in the 9AM hour to give the BBC enough time to get someone else on standby for World News and NC to separate

Sky already had a sat truck outside her official residence so I think it was atleast embargoed for a bit.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 15-02-2023

I think some here don't quite understand how World works. UK news, including politics, was always important and big news on BBC World, so something like this would get rolling news coverage anyway and there is no need for World to rush anyone into studio C to do separate coverage and save the international viewers from one second of UK news.

World viewers know BBC is a British media company and want to know what's happening in the country of its origin. This is also why the merger will not be seen as such a huge drama for World viewers.

(15-02-2023, 11:34 AM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I think some here don't quite understand how World works. UK news, including politics, was always important and big news on BBC World
I'm not sure this is particularly true. They have always had some UK news programmes on weekends and had a lot of UK originated pre-records during the early days, but for a long time were always particularly keen to avoid being parochial in general news programming, though of course this depended to a degree on time slots. Where UK news did appear on an average day, it was generally in terms of 'and finally' pieces, business (owing to London's status as a global financial centre) and sport (particularly things like the Premier League). For a long time, a hard news UK story had to be genuinely internationally relevant to get on the running order. UK politics has only creeped in more since 2015 - particularly in Euro Evening and US early evening programmes like Outside Source and 100 Days.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 15-02-2023

But surely, they would not ignore this sort of news, even back in 2003? I'm not saying they would have 7 hours of rolling news coverage, but a breaking news mention and a few minutes of explanation would surely happen, even in those days.

(15-02-2023, 12:06 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  But surely, they would not ignore this sort of news, even back in 2003? I'm not saying they would have 7 hours of rolling news coverage, but a breaking news mention and a few minutes of explanation would surely happen, even in those days.
Yes, I would agree - this is the kind of UK political story that would be covered back then, it might even have been a lead story, though probably not rolling news (which World were very reluctant to do for a long time). I was more thinking about that sort of second-tier UK political story that gets covered on Outside Source and The Context that World wouldn't really have touched 15/20 years ago.