Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radiodog - 15-02-2023

You have to remember that Radio 5 Live does cover breaking news so if the channel is going to be be carrying his radio show ( with pictures !) you would expect them still to cover this story and the press conference. I am guessing this might give radio journalists more exposure during these hours.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bbctvtechop - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 11:24 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(15-02-2023, 11:17 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  So the breaking news of Nicola Sturgeon resigning this morning is of huge UK importance - but will it be deemed important enough on the new channel to roll with on World as well? Or would this be when we get a reporter spring into action in a virtual cupboard studio, pedalling their own autocue for a few hours?

The news broke just before 10am, so the joint 10am hour is going ahead as usual now, presumably because it was too late to get someone into World's studio to separate this morning.
I think this a case (and time) where World taking rolling UK news like this is justified. First Minister of Scotland is fairly powerful role for a subnational leader and has even more symbolic power. Plus Sturgeon has longevity and a degree of international reputation that justifies it.

And if it had happened 2 weeks ago on the same day as the earthquake?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 05:04 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(15-02-2023, 11:24 AM)DTV Wrote:  I think this a case (and time) where World taking rolling UK news like this is justified. First Minister of Scotland is fairly powerful role for a subnational leader and has even more symbolic power. Plus Sturgeon has longevity and a degree of international reputation that justifies it.

And if it had happened 2 weeks ago on the same day as the earthquake?

"Supposedly" the UK feed will crash into a live camera of Nicky Campbell and Radio 5 Live in the middle of a World bulletin, or the alleged "standby team" will spring into action and some presenter will be popping up in the Clip Studio F, probably with a horrible chroma key (below is a mock):
[Image: 45dc61bd8d457bc4a1f2a08bb294ecd8-png.jpg]

Will the workflow actually work out as planned though? Well, you probably know the answer way better than all of us here...  Big Grin

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 15-02-2023

Had it already been decided which would be the main studio of the new "BBC News" channel, specifically Studio C or Studio E?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - alfiejmulcahy - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 01:05 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  No one will be tuning into this channel to watch Laura K, Newsnight, Politics Live, Breakfast, or whatever other BBC 1/2 politics or current affairs programs get simulcast or repeated on there. 
There is of course, an argument to be made, that those who want news and current affair coverage don't want to mess around switching between channels and that it should all be in one place. I've always found it annoying that one needed to switch over for Politics Live or Newsnight (especially when Newsnight used to start before the 10 had finished more frequently). I'm all for them being shown on the news channel.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 05:04 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  And if it had happened 2 weeks ago on the same day as the earthquake?
Probably not, but I was talking about the news agenda as it was today. These kinds of editorial decisions are always going to be dependent on what is happening elsewhere and today I would say the wider news was light enough that BBC World News could take the story live. If today had had more going on in the world, it might have been more appropriate to simply provide a short breaking news update and then have it as a packaged story later in the day. On a day like last Monday, it might only have been significant enough to be mentioned in passing.

It's always an editor's judgement call on what stories should be carried. While such judgements might be more difficult on the merged channel, I don't think anybody thinks that today wouldn't have been a day where the separate UK team wouldn't have been in action. As we've previously discussed, this arrangement isn't really ideal, but it's what we're getting.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Andrew - 15-02-2023

Todays the sort of story where in the past they would have run with it for hours on end, interviewing every politician they can get near a camera and every commentator they could find. They’d report on every possible angle and cover little else.

I didn’t see todays coverage so I don’t know how comprehensive it was now they have to consider World viewers

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Scratch_Perry - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 06:50 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Todays the sort of story where in the past they would have run with it for hours on end, interviewing every politician they can get near a camera and every commentator they could find. They’d report on every possible angle and cover little else.

I didn’t see todays coverage so I don’t know how comprehensive it was now they have to consider World viewers
Being as it is a weekday, it's only between 10-11am where they have to consider World viewers.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 06:50 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Todays the sort of story where in the past they would have run with it for hours on end, interviewing every politician they can get near a camera and every commentator they could find. They’d report on every possible angle and cover little else.

From 11a to 7p they do not have to consider World viewers, as the merger has not happened yet and News Channel runs separately in the aforementioned time. It was certainly not ran "for hours on end" as they also had Nicola Bulley press conference carried on live as well. For example, at 5pm they had Sturgeon resignation up till 5:12 pm.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Brekkie - 15-02-2023

(14-02-2023, 06:50 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(14-02-2023, 05:51 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It would be interesting to know what the budget is for the "new" UK version of the news channel - especially as 20 years ago ITV were said to be delivering their news channel for a fraction of what BBC News 24 cost at the time, and managing live UK news from early morning till late night, plus updates overnight, at that time. Given where the BBC News Channel is heading you have to assume their new budget specifically for the news channel is even less than that - and if not perhaps questions need to be asked about whether rather than BBC World being the profitable service keeping a UK operation afloat are funds actually being funnelled into propping up BBC World.

Well the budget will be listed in next year's Annual Report, so we'll have to wait until then to be certain. But it's hard to tell what of the BBC News channel's ~£60m budget is actually channel related, as a substantial chunk of the budget is the channel's 'fair share' of newsgathering costs. The average BBC English region TV news operation costs about £6m and I'd suspect that the cost of the News channel's presenters and studio production teams alone are in that region, if not slightly higher.
Thanks - that sounds about right. Just like with BBC3 moving online much of the "cost saving" is actually just moving the budgets around a bit.

We talk about viewers migrating to Sky News or the right wing channels but also wonder how many have just moved away from watching news channel all together. I'm certainly in that category - was a time when I'd watch two or three of the main bulletins a day and a chunk of news channel content, and certainly for a big story tune in for hours to watch news channel coverage. Nowadays though my news viewing is probably one bulletin a week on average. I watched hours of coverage of the Boxing Day Tsunami back in 2004 for example but have probably seen less than five minutes of coverage related to the Turkey/Syria earthquake over the last couple of weeks.