Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 22-08-2022

It says a lot about how cash starved the BBC is now if they apparently cannot afford to operate a daytime only UK-focussed news channel, because that's what the NC essentially is now.

There's 1 hour of UK only content in the evening, but that could easily be cut along with The Paper review. It's a sad state of affairs if the core 9am - 6pm UK only NC operation cannot be saved.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Steve in Pudsey - 23-08-2022

From what Simon McCoy said in an interview it was quite difficult to get the regions to agree to do the Nationwide spot on Afternoon Live, too busy prepping the programme etc. Apparently Harry Gration agreeing to do it was something of a catalyst for the rest to get onboard.

harshy - harshy - 23-08-2022

(22-08-2022, 08:17 AM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  BBC World News has not been serious for a long time , so as said it cannot be compared to someone like CNN. It has always been a half hearted world news channel and the BBC never exploited its full potential. Going forward, I hope the new BBC News channel will be in the famous words of Bloomberg "Bullish". The UK doesn't have a confident channel these days. Sky News used to be that, but since 2010 has lost most of it. The BBC had it in 97, but quickly lost it in the early 2000s.

The new BBC News channel must be confident, bullish, unafraid. If they could model on Bloomberg but obvious geared towards total news. They have the people and locations to do it, already in place. Use the potential.

I wouldn’t agree with that I think it does it to well but the news channel has gone the wrong way sadly due to cuts and everything else, it’s too reliant on bbc world news particularly in the evenings.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 23-08-2022

(23-08-2022, 01:56 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  From what Simon McCoy said in an interview it was quite difficult to get the regions to agree to do the Nationwide spot on Afternoon Live, too busy prepping the programme etc. Apparently Harry Gration agreeing to do it was something of a catalyst for the rest to get onboard.

A programme in the afternoon would certainly take a bit of time out of the prep for the main 18:30 programme, but only having to do it every few weeks would be a lot less disruptive than a daily feature. It might work better as an evening review programme in the 20:00 slot. That would be less disruptive to prepping for the main magazine and would be less subject to breaking news (that I suspect would be the biggest logistical hurdle to doing NC programming from the regions). There are some issues, the tight turnaround for BBC Wales and Newyddion, but I don't think it's too out-there of an idea.

I do worry that some think I'm a big cheerleader for the merger, when I'm really not. I'm just trying to come up with alternative ideas that would keep a decent level of UK-specific output while still being realistic about the cuts and the need to protect the additional income from BBC World News. There certainly are clear options that the BBC could take to maintain a good few hours of UK-only output while not incurring any/many additional costs compared to the initial proposals, it's why I'm so sceptical that the total merger will go through - it would be an act of supreme self-sabotage not go down at least some of these routes.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bkman1990 - 25-08-2022

Who are the other people, other than Tim Davie, who are proposing these cuts to BBC News output with merging the two news channels? I wanted to ask people this because Emily Maitlis was interpreting at a lecture in Edinburgh during the week that Sir Robbie Gibb was acting as an arbiter of impartiality for the BBC and he was doing this while acting as an agent for the Tories.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/aug/24/emily-maitlis-says-active-tory-party-agent-shaping-bbc-news-output

Admin edit: to correct names mentioned in original post and to correct an ambiguity relating to the Emily Mailtlis statement.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Lester - 25-08-2022

This is the email I received. Probably a stock answer ....

The BBC remains totally committed to covering UK stories and to a 24 hour news channel which serves the needs of UK audiences, as well as international audiences.

Under the proposals there will be a separate stream for UK audiences which will serve UK specific content at certain times of the day or on certain stories. When there are big UK stories, these will be seen by the international audience too. When a UK story breaks, we’ll be there to cover it – either just in the UK, or to viewers all across the world.

Running one 24 hour channel, rather than two parallel channels, allows us to invest more in our ability to cover breaking news across the BBC. Our teams are rightly proud of the great work they are doing, but we need to make changes to ensure better value for licence fee payers.

The channel will be free from adverts in the UK. We are proposing that as well as being available to UK viewers, it will also be accessible internationally where it will carry adverts, driving commercial income that the BBC can then re-invest in content.

The experience for viewers watching the new BBC News channel in the UK will not just differ in this respect to those watching around the world. There will be many hours of UK-only content every day on the UK feed – for example key programmes like Breakfast and all our BBC One News bulletins will be carried on the channel for UK audiences. We are also pioneering a new televised version of some of our radio news programming starting with the Nicky Campbell Show currently heard only on 5 Live. We are committed to coverage of key Parliamentary events, including Prime Minister’s Questions every week. And, we are proposing to invest in a new Live and Breaking team, which will make UK-facing content when there are important UK developments.

We hope this reassures you that we’re not stepping away from UK coverage, we’re making that coverage better.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - eyeTV - 25-08-2022

Kind of poor to use the simulcast bulletins on BBC One as examples of their 'many hours of UK only content on the UK feed'.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Admin PC - 25-08-2022

(25-08-2022, 04:06 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Who are the other people, other than Tim Davie, who are proposing these cuts to BBC News output with merging the two news channels? I wanted to ask people this because Emily Maitlis was interpreting at a lecture in Edinburgh during the week that Sir Robbie Gibb was acting as an arbiter of impartiality for the BBC and he was doing this while acting as an agent for the Tories.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/aug/24/emily-maitlis-says-active-tory-party-agent-shaping-bbc-news-output

Folks - whilst this story made the headlines, a reminder that no political discussion is allowed on the forum and posters should always avoid straying into territory where they make potentially slanderous/libellous comments.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 25-08-2022

(25-08-2022, 05:02 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Kind of poor to use the simulcast bulletins on BBC One as examples of their 'many hours of UK only content on the UK feed'.

It is, but I just have such a hard time believing that'll be what we end up with. There are just too many wholly reasonable ways for them to provide several additional hours of UK-only content while still meeting their proposed level of cuts.

I mean, let's say the following:
- The BBC News at One presenter stays on to provide a few hours of afternoon rolling news (possibly 13:00-16:00).
- The BBC News at Six and Ten presenters both do an hour on the channel (12:00-13:00, 16:00-17:00).
- The PM programme is visualised (17:00-18:00).
- Regional news centres could, on rotation, produce an evening national/regional review hour (20:00-21:00).

None of these would require any significant additional staffing or costs relative to the initial proposals or are outlandish, yet all taken together would keep the UK-only output at roughly the same level as it has been since 2015. And this is without including the ill-defined domestic 'opt-out' abilities (which is another issue entirely). Even with just one or two options taken, there are clear ways to avoid the inevitably disastrous clash of merging afternoons.

While it is not unheard of for BBC management to make questionable decisions, I just can't believe they can't see the room to allow for better UK-only coverage within their existing plans, let alone a compromise plan. This is why I assume it has to be some form of negotiating position. Maybe I'm wrong, but the options are there.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 25-08-2022

These simulcasts are the worst thing for UK viewers. I thought you were gonna finally get rid of them once the channels are merged. I mean, finally, there was a chance to show World news in the morning and during 1,6 and 10. Why are these simulcasts staying???