Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Alx321 - 16-02-2023

I don’t get why they would refurbish Studio A when they have just refurbished Studio D, they wouldn’t need 2 UK opt-out studios.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 17-02-2023

(16-02-2023, 10:13 PM)DTV Wrote:  I don't think the BBC have ever tried to hide the fact they are a British channel, particularly not with regard to the American audience - World News America's lead presenter has always been British. I think it was more of a case of having your output suit your audience. While there has always been a case for covering certain British stories, fundamentally BBC World News' two key audiences are a) general news source for English-speaking Commonwealth and b) high-end news channel for English-speaking professionals and you have to focus on what is relevant to them - hence why you do get a shifting news agenda throughout the day as the 'prime' times in different regions come and go.

Speaking of BBC as a British channel, I kinda find it funny what BBC America had become ever since they got acquired by AMC Network, which is the majority of their weekday schedule is filled with marathon reruns of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Law & Order and Bones.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - damian - 17-02-2023

If the new BBC News is going to be like the past 45 minutes to World News viewers then I personally am not interested in the merger. Al Jazeera far superior news content.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 11:44 AM)damian Wrote:  If the new BBC News is going to be like the past 45 minutes to World News viewers then I personally am not interested in the merger. Al Jazeera far superior news content.
At this time of day during the week, wouldn't they be broadcasting a domestic service?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 11:44 AM)damian Wrote:  If the new BBC News is going to be like the past 45 minutes to World News viewers then I personally am not interested in the merger. Al Jazeera far superior news content.

I agree that broadcasting a sentencing from the Old Bailey for over 30 minutes is hardly news worthy to World viewers, or even UK viewers. 
The difference between the 10-11am weekday hour now and the new channel, is that the 10-11am hour currently is produced by the UK news channel team for World. 
The new channel will be produced by a World team 24/7. So you won't get niche hearings from the Old Bailey broadcast in full.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 12:12 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I agree that broadcasting a sentencing from the Old Bailey for over 30 minutes is hardly news worthy to World viewers, or even UK viewers.
It's a very odd choice editorially, particularly to go for over half-an-hour for a not particularly high-profile case. Really the kind of thing that'd be better edited down to a few key moments - I can't imagine many viewers stuck with it beyond a few minutes. If BBC Parliament wasn't such a reduced entity, it'd be really the kind of thing that belonged on there.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 12:37 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(17-02-2023, 12:12 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I agree that broadcasting a sentencing from the Old Bailey for over 30 minutes is hardly news worthy to World viewers, or even UK viewers.
It's a very odd choice editorially, particularly to go for over half-an-hour for a not particularly high-profile case. Really the kind of thing that'd be better edited down to a few key moments - I can't imagine many viewers stuck with it beyond a few minutes. If BBC Parliament wasn't such a reduced entity, it'd be really the kind of thing that belonged on there.
It felt like the NC team had run out of reports for the rest of the hour, so just stuck on a niche hearing from the Old Bailey and went for a coffee break. A very strange choice during a World simulcast hour as well.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 12:12 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  

I agree that broadcasting a sentencing from the Old Bailey for over 30 minutes is hardly news worthy to World viewers, or even UK viewers. 
The difference between the 10-11am weekday hour now and the new channel, is that the 10-11am hour currently is produced by the UK news channel team for World. 
The new channel will be produced by a World team 24/7. So you won't get niche hearings from the Old Bailey broadcast in full.
Dare I suggest that given the Old Bailey sentencing was of someone guilty of selling secrets to Russia that politics may have been a factor in showing it, both to UK and World viewers. I can imagine that the UK government and intelligence agencies would have been quite keen for the BBC to broadcast this sentencing around the world.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - JayCasey - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 01:54 PM)Keith Wrote:  Dare I suggest that given the Old Bailey sentencing was of someone guilty of selling secrets to Russia that politics may have been a factor in showing it, both to UK and World viewers. I can imagine that the UK government and intelligence agencies would have been quite keen for the BBC to broadcast this sentencing around the world.

This is precisely what I was thinking. It is one massive deterrence mouthpiece that will have been seen where it was wanted to be seen because of this broadcast.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 19-02-2023

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc-insiders-worry-merger-will-be-short-lived-shambles-m56w0l8pc 

Quote:Staff on the venture were told last week about plans to launch the channel on April 3 with pilots beginning on Monday and a dry run scheduled from March 6. They were assured that “it won’t be a big bang moment”; instead there would be “a lot of trial and error” for a few months, prompting mixed reaction.

A senior journalist involved in the venture was heard dismissing its chances of success. “It’s going to crash and burn like Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng’s experiment,” the insider said.
There was some speculation about whether pilots for the new channel had begun yet. According to this Times article, they don't start until Monday (20 February) with dry runs starting from 6 March.

I mentioned that the new channel would launch on 3 April as I'd seen the distribution email (and it hadn't been cited anywhere else), so nice to see an article online backing up what I said a few weeks ago.

My guess still remains the same. The new channel will soft launch from studio A with a VR render of what a refitted studio E will eventually look like. Once E is refitted, the channel will move there and A will eventually become the UK opt-out studio.

The Times article states...

"Several innovations are being devised to make the channel more dynamic than its predecessors.

Presenters will leave their desks to roam the studio, showing the newsroom as part of the BBC’s push towards transparency and impartiality".

That can ONLY happen with studio E. I also take it from that paragraph - after 11 years of having the newsroom behind them in E, presenters might actually venture out into it on air from time to time.