Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 09:13 PM)Worzel Wrote:  https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc-insiders-worry-merger-will-be-short-lived-shambles-m56w0l8pc 

Quote:Staff on the venture were told last week about plans to launch the channel on April 3 with pilots beginning on Monday and a dry run scheduled from March 6. They were assured that “it won’t be a big bang moment”; instead there would be “a lot of trial and error” for a few months, prompting mixed reaction.

A senior journalist involved in the venture was heard dismissing its chances of success. “It’s going to crash and burn like Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng’s experiment,” the insider said. The channel is to replace the domestic service and BBC World News network.
Absolutely brilliant to compare it to the Truss disaster. That's already happening every weekend.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - UTVLifer - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 09:21 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 09:13 PM)Worzel Wrote:  https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc-insiders-worry-merger-will-be-short-lived-shambles-m56w0l8pc 
Absolutely brilliant to compare it to the Truss disaster. That's already happening every weekend.

I wonder if the fast demise of the merged channel will also get its own Channel 4 tribute montage to a Taylor Swift track (I'm not joking, it actually happened)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 09:21 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Absolutely brilliant to compare it to the Truss disaster. That's already happening every weekend.
The problem is, though, is that if it does go as badly as some fear, it might be harder to 'remove' than Liz Truss was, and certainly not possible in 45 days. Plus, even if mangers do admit defeat, the best we are realistically going to get are the kinds of things I was suggesting months ago should be done anyway (i.e., utilising existing teams better and merging them with the proposed breaking team to create a separate daytime service).

As I've said since the plans were announced last spring, it's fundamentally a bad idea on editorial grounds, even if I appreciate the reasons radical decisions have to be made. While I do see potential ways of working and formats that would be not-terrible, any optimism I have is constantly eroded by what we see with existing simulcasts, particularly at weekends.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 09:21 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
Let's see if a lettuce can outlast the merger (the other highlight of the Truss disaster).

And if it does turn out to be a short-lived shambles and managers do finally admit defeat, they will have extend the "Monday-Friday service" to weekends aka the whole day because we can't go on with the shambles we had this afternoon although i do agree that it cannot be done in 45 days.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Neil Jones - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 10:26 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 09:21 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Absolutely brilliant to compare it to the Truss disaster. That's already happening every weekend.
Let's see if a lettuce can outlast the merger (the other highlight of the Truss disaster).

The news conference that never was...

https://twitter.com/Pandamoanimum/status/1583073197888798720 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 19-02-2023

I spotted that mess at 1500 today. But can anyone tell me us World on automation for the weather at 1506 and then a break then a documentary at 1520?

In other words on a normal Sunday us the newsreader tied to a specific timescale to opt out at 1506 etc and fit in the shirt bulletin with the rest if the hour on automation?

This afternoon was a total mess and not the presenter's fault.

(19-02-2023, 10:38 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  In other words on a normal Sunday us the newsreader tied to a specific timescale to opt out at 1506 etc and fit in the shirt bulletin with the rest if the hour on automation?
I'm not sure how automated the presentation process is these days, but all BBC World News bulletins are limited to a certain runtime (e.g., a typical bulletin is expected to end at exactly xx:26) for breaks etc. During certain breaking news situations there are obviously exceptions to this, but World programming cannot overrun in the same way that the BBC News channel often does - it is more clockwork and the channel has more timing points that have to be hit dead on (unlike the NC which only has to hit the TOTH* (and even then sometimes doesn't)). This is why you often get rushed goodbyes at the end of a World programme.

(* I recall somebody on the blue place once jokingly suggesting that the definition of a slow news day was when the News channel's quarter-to headlines actually took place at xx:45)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - steve - 19-02-2023

Indeed, the piece in The Sunday Times goes on to say:

‘The channel will move from the basement of New Broadcasting House into the main newsroom when a refurbishment is complete. Breakout reports will come from a studio balcony mostly used for weather reports.’

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 10:49 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 10:38 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  In other words on a normal Sunday us the newsreader tied to a specific timescale to opt out at 1506 etc and fit in the shirt bulletin with the rest if the hour on automation?
I'm not sure how automated the presentation process is these days, but all BBC World News bulletins are limited to a certain runtime (e.g., a typical bulletin is expected to end at exactly xx:26) for breaks etc. During certain breaking news situations there are obviously exceptions to this, but World programming cannot overrun in the same way that the BBC News channel often does - it is more clockwork and the channel has more timing points that have to be hit dead on (unlike the NC which only has to hit the TOTH* (and even then sometimes doesn't)). This is why you often get rushed goodbyes at the end of a World programme.

(* I recall somebody on the blue place once jokingly suggesting that the definition of a slow news day was when the News channel's quarter-to headlines actually took place at xx:45)

Thought so. Certainly seemed that way across 3 o'clock. It looked so bad as if nobody was actually checking but we cannot assume that of course.

(19-02-2023, 11:06 PM)steve Wrote:  Indeed, the piece in The Sunday Times goes on to say:

‘The channel will move from the basement of New Broadcasting House into the main newsroom when a refurbishment is complete. Breakout reports will come from a studio balcony mostly used for weather reports.’
Makes sense, I was actually wondering earlier today if they'd convert the Outside Source/Weather balcony into an integrated breaking news hub  - similar to the old daytime news summary studio - so that presenters are able to work from the same desk as the present from (thus enabling them to go on straight away).