Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - UTVLifer - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 11:06 PM)steve Wrote:  Indeed, the piece in The Sunday Times goes on to say:

‘The channel will move from the basement of New Broadcasting House into the main newsroom when a refurbishment is complete. Breakout reports will come from a studio balcony mostly used for weather reports.’

So does that mean that Studio C will be getting refurbished before Studio E?

Even though I do think out of the two studios, C is showing its age more, I'm surprised that it would be getting a new set before E

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 11:09 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 11:06 PM)steve Wrote:  Indeed, the piece in The Sunday Times goes on to say:

‘The channel will move from the basement of New Broadcasting House into the main newsroom when a refurbishment is complete. Breakout reports will come from a studio balcony mostly used for weather reports.’
So does that mean that Studio C will be getting refurbished before Studio E?

Even though I do think out of the two studios, C is showing its age more, I'm surprised that it would be getting a new set before E
I would not expect this to be the case. My reading is that they are moving to one studio (E + Balcony) later in the year, so C will become mothballed. While it is not outside the realms of possibility that C gets a small set upgrade if they use that as the interim studio, it will not be getting a full refurbishment.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Andrew - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 10:26 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 09:21 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Absolutely brilliant to compare it to the Truss disaster. That's already happening every weekend.
Let's see if a lettuce can outlast the merger (the other highlight of the Truss disaster).

And if it does turn out to be a short-lived shambles and managers do finally admit defeat, they will have extend the "Monday-Friday service" to weekends aka the whole day because we can't go on with the shambles we had this afternoon although i do agree that it cannot be done in 45 days.

On what metric do you think the new news channel could be described as a failure

It won’t be on viewing figures because as we know, news channel ratings aren’t very high in the first place, and people are very loyal to the BBC. Huw Edwards could present the Ten from a beige broom cupboard and I bet the ratings wouldn’t change.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 11:14 PM)Andrew Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 10:26 PM)News76 Wrote:  Let's see if a lettuce can outlast the merger (the other highlight of the Truss disaster).

And if it does turn out to be a short-lived shambles and managers do finally admit defeat, they will have extend the "Monday-Friday service" to weekends aka the whole day because we can't go on with the shambles we had this afternoon although i do agree that it cannot be done in 45 days.

On what metric do you think the new news channel could be described as a failure

It won’t be on viewing figures because as we know, news channel ratings aren’t very high in the first place, and people are very loyal to the BBC. Huw Edwards could present the Ten from a beige broom cupboard and I bet the ratings wouldn’t change.

You only have to see this afternoon's farce (trying to report a UK Breaking story of no use to World viewers during a simulcast) to see why the merger will last only slightly longer than Liz Truss's time as PM and that's me being generous-What's your metric for it being successful?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 19-02-2023

I did not realise all news was in the basement if nbh.

For radio Studio WL1 is Radio 2 overnight bulletins
WL2 is Radio 4 it seems. I understood they were in the basement too.

And the main news studio the article refers to is which studio? C or E or another?

(19-02-2023, 11:18 PM)News76 Wrote:  You only have to see this afternoon's farce (trying to report a UK Breaking story of no use to World viewers during a simulcast) to see why the merger will last only slightly longer than Liz Truss's time as PM and that's me being generous.
Even if there does end up being some 'recalibration', it'll be a bit longer than one Truss before this happens - purely on logistical grounds. Unless things are massively and inarguably catastrophic (as judged by managers), I would not expect any major changes to arrangments within the first six months. Plus, even if you do get some reversal, expecting a return to even the current set-up would be optimistic, let alone the set-up from last autumn.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 19-02-2023

My understanding of that article is that they will stay in Studio C, which is in the basement , even after April 3, and then move to the new look studio E after it's finished, in a few months.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 11:18 PM)News76 Wrote:  You only have to see this afternoon's farce (trying to report a UK Breaking story of no use to World viewers during a simulcast) to see why the merger will last only slightly longer than Liz Truss's time as PM and that's me being genrous-I think you can work out the metric of failure for yourself.
Personally, I think large chunks of the merger will last.

I don't think there's any chance of the use of Washington and Singapore being used in evenings and overnight will be reversed. This is already a simulcast, so little overall change for viewers.

Similarly I can't see them reverting back to the UK and World channels having different names. I think best hope is for a partial reversal, in restoring UK coverage/opt 9am to 6pm weekdays.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 11:34 PM)Keith Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 11:18 PM)News76 Wrote:  You only have to see this afternoon's farce (trying to report a UK Breaking story of no use to World viewers during a simulcast) to see why the merger will last only slightly longer than Liz Truss's time as PM and that's me being genrous-I think you can work out the metric of failure for yourself.
Personally, I think large chunks of the merger will last.

I don't think there's any chance of the use of Washington and Singapore being used in evenings and overnight will be reversed. This is already a simulcast, so little overall change for viewers.

Similarly I can't see them reverting back to the UK and World channels having different names. I think best hope is for a partial reversal, in restoring UK coverage/opt 9am to 6pm weekdays.

I'd say yes to that but make it up to Midnight making it 9:00am-midnight 7 days a weeks.

And another question surely overnights at weekends aren't going to come from Washington/Singapore as well.

(19-02-2023, 11:32 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  My understanding of that article is that they will stay in Studio C, which is in the basement , even after April 3, and then move to the new look studio E after it's finished, in a few months.
This would be my reading too - C as interim studio, E as permanent (likely from the autumn).

(19-02-2023, 11:29 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  I did not realise all news was in the basement if nbh.

For radio Studio WL1 is Radio 2 overnight bulletins
WL2 is Radio 4 it seems. I understood they were in the basement too.

And the main news studio the article refers to is which studio? C or E or another?
All news isn't in the basement, though the extent depends how you define basement - the main newsroom floor and Studio E are one floor below ground level, with Studios A-D two floors below that. I don't think there are any radio studios in the basement, they are on the upper floors.

(19-02-2023, 11:37 PM)News76 Wrote:  I'd say yes to that but make it up to Midnight making it 9:00am-midnight 7 days a weeks.
Even within your history of 'proposals', this has a tenuous grasp of the reality of the situation. There is literally zero chance of managers going 'OK, our big idea to solve BBC News' funding problem failed, let's reverse eight years of BBC News cuts'. That's just not going to happen under any scenario.