Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 20-02-2023

The renders in A haven’t been very realistic at all as the quality of the green keying which makes the presenters look like they are a lots be of ants flying around them. I remember Mishal Husains trailer back in the day when they said they are going to use cutting edge graphics to tell the story.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - South - 20-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 05:37 PM)harshy Wrote:  The renders in A haven’t been very realistic at all as the quality of the green keying which makes the presenters look like they are a lots be of ants flying around them. I remember Mishal Husains trailer back in the day when they said they are going to use cutting edge graphics to tell the story.

I think the biggest problem for the previous VR attempts is these have been computer creations of physical sets. Digital creations are never as realistic as a physical set. It would be interesting to see a vr example of the set up in B as with this being screens this is also computer generated albeit on physical screens instead of a virtual environment. Therefore I would expect the background to be far more realistic to what we see in B compared to what has been done before.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Renap - 20-02-2023

The problem that I see is people thinking the merger will quickly get undone like Truss. It won't be, not under Tim Davie anyway.

For quite some time the merger has been announced and there have not been much positive discussion on it. The BBC have forced through these changes despite push back from employees including the presenters, held auditions for positions that were clearly predetermined judging by the fact the chosen few were all World News presenters with branded slots, and still haven't made clear what will be worth opting out to a dedicated UK feed that will be held in a broom cupboard with unknown presenters, sorry balcony. It is clearly going to be a rough start for this new channel no matter how many pilots take place and so on.

The only thing I can think will happen later on is a bone being thrown and a few dedicated UK half hours being added using the opt-out presenters, but even then they are not exactly going to be the same level as the current UK presentation.

It's going to be up to other providers to present rolling news for a UK audience, because the BBC don't really want to. We will have to see if any want to take on this role.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - LDN - 20-02-2023

"BBC News Says Presenters Can Relax Formal Dress Code As “Sweaty & Dirty” Look Is More Trustworthy"
https://deadline.com/2023/02/bbc-news-tells-presenters-to-relax-formal-dress-code-1235265455/ 

Quote:BBC News presenters have been told that they can relax their formal dress code in the pursuit of more authentic reporting as the broadcaster seeks to reinvent its 24-hour news channel.

Naja Nielsen, BBC News’ Director of Digital, told staff last week that the more rugged “sweaty and dirty” look certain journalists adopt when away from the studio can be more trustworthy.

Nielsen was speaking as the BBC steps up plans to merge BBC World News with its domestic news channel in an effort to cut costs and make its rolling news output more appealing to online audiences. Managers argue it is a chance to create the best news channel in the world.

So, no suit jackets, shirt sleeves rolled up - it's back to the launch of BBC News 24. All that was old is new again...

Also: 

Quote:The relaunched channel will feature more links hosted from the heart of the newsroom and, as one insider put it, “presenters standing in front of giant iPads to show how we verify footage.”

And has it previously been confirmed that Martine Croxall, Ben Brown and Anita McVeigh "were not successful" in applying for presenter/correspondent roles on the new channel?  Struck this para as I misread that part of the article. 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 20-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 08:15 PM)LDN Wrote:  "BBC News Says Presenters Can Relax Formal Dress Code As “Sweaty & Dirty” Look Is More Trustworthy"
https://deadline.com/2023/02/bbc-news-tells-presenters-to-relax-formal-dress-code-1235265455/ 

Quote:BBC News presenters have been told that they can relax their formal dress code in the pursuit of more authentic reporting as the broadcaster seeks to reinvent its 24-hour news channel.

Naja Nielsen, BBC News’ Director of Digital, told staff last week that the more rugged “sweaty and dirty” look certain journalists adopt when away from the studio can be more trustworthy.

Nielsen was speaking as the BBC steps up plans to merge BBC World News with its domestic news channel in an effort to cut costs and make its rolling news output more appealing to online audiences. Managers argue it is a chance to create the best news channel in the world.

So, no suit jackets, shirt sleeves rolled up - it's back to the launch of BBC News 24. All that was old is new again...

Seems like the weather department is piloting out this policy already... Here's Tomasz Schafernaker in a recorded NC forecast, captured at 0555 this morning:
[Image: c0e2491ceba0a66f638dad5b9fd32d83.png]
Tomasz was back in shirt and tie in the recorded world weather forecasts for WN later that morning... (I don't have a screen capture unfortunately)...

I'm feeling a bit complicated about this... It's gonna take some time for me to get used to, feels like I'm watching an edition of Click...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - South - 20-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 08:15 PM)LDN Wrote:  [color=#333333][font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]And has it previously been confirmed that Martine Croxall, Ben Brown and Anita McVeigh "were not successful" in applying for presenter/correspondent roles on the new channel?[/font][/color]
That's not what the article say's, the article states that recruitment for the eight News channel presenter/ correspondent roles is currently underway.

The lines regarding Martine, Ben and Anita is referring to the 5 lead presenter roles.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 20-02-2023

Quite a few members seem to be down on the idea of the balcony studio being used for UK breaking news opts. I'm not sure why - you've got a multi-camera set-up, a good live newsroom view - replace the old plasma with a monolith and put in a new-style desk and you've got quite a nice little set. I mean, forumers have poo-pooed all the alternatives - not wanting a CSO cupboard for obvious reasons and being worried it'll take too long to prep and get to a basement studio.

Aside from that, it a) possibly explains why Studio A has been out of action - as its gallery has to be used for Outside Source, presumably it is being modified for future use for the UK opt; and b) the plans present a weird full circle symmetry to the initial 2001 plans for NBH - you'll have a UK and a World studio on opposite sides of the newsroom (though God knows how many empty studios they'd now have if they'd've stuck to those plans!).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 20-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 08:15 PM)LDN Wrote:  "BBC News Says Presenters Can Relax Formal Dress Code As “Sweaty & Dirty” Look Is More Trustworthy"

Also: 

Quote:The relaunched channel will feature more links hosted from the heart of the newsroom and, as one insider put it, “presenters standing in front of giant iPads to show how we verify footage.”

And has it previously been confirmed that Martine Croxall, Ben Brown and Anita McVeigh "were not successful" in applying for presenter/correspondent roles on the new channel?
GOOD. The whole ‘ALL men MUST wear a full suit and tie’ thing British news insists on is really dated. As long as the reporters aren’t wearing a tracksuit and dirty trainers, or heavy metal T-shirts, I don’t really care what they wear. Newscasters and reporters in other countries pull off the business casual look really well.

(20-02-2023, 08:28 PM)DTV Wrote:  Quite a few members seem to be down on the idea of the balcony studio being used for UK breaking news opts. I'm not sure why - you've got a multi-camera set-up, a good live newsroom view - replace the old plasma with a monolith and put in a new-style desk and you've got quite a nice little set. I mean, forumers have poo-pooed all the alternatives - not wanting a CSO cupboard for obvious reasons and being worried it'll take too long to prep and get to a basement studio.
Yeah, I agree - sounds great. Very Sky News Today circa 2003. A lot of us on here lament that there isn’t anything like that anymore - well, here we are. Presenters walking round the newsroom, breaking news from the balcony, business casual attire - dare I say Franceinfo? Sounds ace.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 20-02-2023

Also: 

And has it previously been confirmed that Martine Croxall, Ben Brown and Anita McVeigh "were not successful" in applying for presenter/correspondent roles on the new channel?

The new look seems to be already exercised in studio as well. Yalda is known for her eccentric outfits so she must be happy with all the changes. She must be very happy with everything in fact.

[Image: 15-02-2023-14.jpg]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 20-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 12:17 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I just can’t get my head around posters here thinking that something should continue to be funded at levels that don’t reflect its value. The fact is that people consume news differently to how they did 15 years ago. I really think it needs to be understood that the fondness (for want of a better word) that some have here for the news channel is massively out of step with the wider public, and focusing its resources in the right places (app, online, social media, podcasts) is 100% the right thing for the BBC to do.

They could plough millions into the news channel, it still wouldn’t change habits which are increasingly moving away from linear channels for news consumption.

Never thought I’d be quoting Hairspray here, but “you can fight it, or you can rock out to it.” In other words - embrace where things are going rather than trying to cling onto where they were.
It’s an important public service, and one which, in an ideal world, the BBC wouldn’t be ceding to the private sector. If anyone should be providing a UK news channel, it should be the national broadcaster. That’s not to put down Sky, because they do an excellent job. It’s just a shame that the Beeb’s funding has been cut to the extent that they can no longer provide such a service. 

Alas, though, if there must be a news channel cut, it should be the News Channel. We have the network bulletins, radio and so forth. The rest of the world doesn’t. Again, I definitely don’t agree with the idea of it closing, but it seems to me the least worst (and emphasis on worst) option.