Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - LDN - 20-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 08:28 PM)South Wrote:  
(20-02-2023, 08:15 PM)LDN Wrote:  [color=#333333][font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]And has it previously been confirmed that Martine Croxall, Ben Brown and Anita McVeigh "were not successful" in applying for presenter/correspondent roles on the new channel?[/font][/color]
That's not what the article say's, the article states that recruitment for the eight News channel presenter/ correspondent roles is currently underway.

The lines regarding Martine, Ben and Anita is referring to the 5 lead presenter roles.

You're quite right - my mistake. I've struck that line from my post. Thanks for the correction.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 20-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 08:49 PM)Kojak Wrote:  It’s an important public service, and one which, in an ideal world, the BBC wouldn’t be ceding to the private sector. If anyone should be providing a UK news channel, it should be the national broadcaster. That’s not to put down Sky, because they do an excellent job. It’s just a shame that the Beeb’s funding has been cut to the extent that they can no longer provide such a service.
Arguably, there was an alternative route that'd have allowed the BBC to maintain a UK rolling news channel - instead merging the News channel and 5 Live into a primarily bi-media news service (with news continuing on TV when 5 Live takes sport) - but the BBC's approach to reforms is always a bit too cautious/conservative for that route. It would have had its own faults and no doubt would also have been accompanied by many protests on this forum, but it's an interesting counter-factual.

But, as you say, ideally this wouldn't be happening, but the logic behind the proposals is sound and it's fundamentally a shame for the BBC to have ended up in this position. For what it's worth, though, I don't share the catastrophising prophecies of certain members about the ultimate outcome of the new channel - I expect viewership will hold up reasonably well and my impression about the UK opt is that will be more of a regular occurance than rare (which in of itself asks certain questions). I also have enough faith in BBC staff that the channel will be professionally run, even if running orders do end up being a bit of an unsatisfactory compromise. Ultimately, it's not great, but I can absolutely see ways the channel could work reasonably well.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 20-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 01:07 PM)Worzel Wrote:  My guess remains. I reckon the channel will soft launch in A with a VR render of what the new studio E will eventually look like to make the transition a bit more seamless.
I don't think you'd want to launch a new combined channel in a VR studio, softly or otherwise, especially given the poor quality of VR in NBH-A.

How come ITV manage to do it so well at GIR, and the BBC in Salford, but not at their HQ building?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 20-02-2023

I bet it will please the male presenters (re the new dress codes). It must be a nightmare sitting in a studio for up to 4 hours during a heatwave wearing a shirt, jacket and tie, even with air conditioning.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 20-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 09:48 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  I bet it will please the male presenters (re the new dress codes). It must be a nightmare sitting in a studio for up to 4 hours during a heatwave wearing a shirt, jacket and tie,  even with air conditioning.
Does anyone remember when Shaun Ley wore shorts one evening (whilst still wearing a jacket, shirt and tie up top!) and there was uproar on these here boards? Talk about a storm in a teacup…

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - alfiejmulcahy - 20-02-2023

I'm very conflicted about the new dress code policy - surely they run the risk of losing the authority that dressing smartly creates.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 20-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 10:06 PM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  I'm very conflicted about the new dress code policy - surely they run the risk of losing the authority that dressing smartly creates.

It’s not like they’re going to be wearing heavy metal T-shirts and ripped jeans whilst reporting - just that they won’t have to wear suits/dresses all the time, which is the right move IMO. It sounds like business casual is the way forward, or smart casual in war zones.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 20-02-2023

Yalda Hakim already wears ripped jeans so this suits her already.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - London Lite - 20-02-2023

I don't know where this not formal wear thing has come from? Victoria Valentine for example has always dressed like that for her bulletins on World. Even back to Business Live I don't remember her wearing outfits that look like she's attending a job interview.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stockland Hillman - 20-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 10:45 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I don't know where this not formal wear thing has come from?  Victoria Valentine for example has always dressed like that for her bulletins on World.  Even back to Business Live I don't remember her wearing outfits that look like she's attending a job interview.

Women presenters have had much more scope in outfit choices and style.  The men have been stuck in dated suit and tie .

It's crazy how long British TV has had female on screen talent in professional but varied clothing yet the men looking like 1980s insurance salesmen or a suburban letting agents.  Entrepreneurs, senior managers,  civil servants and political operatives and many more don't dress in traditional formal wear.

Smart casual can look great, and not just on Tomasz the Westherman. 

Dress like your audience. Very overdue.