Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - JamesWorldNews - 21-02-2023

BBC World overnights appear to be used as a training ground for newer faces (not new to broadcasting, but new to global newscasting for extended periods).

Rich Preston is the only consistent face during the slot, which he formerly shared with David Eades.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bkman1990 - 21-02-2023

If I were considering this smart casual policy for the newsreaders at BBC News. I think it would be a good idea to bring it back again.

But they would need to be sensible in how to apply this policy to their news presenters and reporters.

When we are looking at a major ceremonial event going ahead in the UK this year like the official coronation of King Charles III in May; I don't think the BBC would be allowed to bring in a smart casual look for that day.

They would have to wear a full suit & tie for that event alongside the likes of Sky, ITV and Channel 4 News. Those sort of rules about strict dress code would come from Buckingham Palace.

The strict black dress code which was there for the Queen's Funeral last year would still be kept in place for other funerals in the Royal Family.

A similar position would be adopted from Westminister or Downing St when a former UK PM is no longer with us.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Matrix - 21-02-2023

To be honest, I think the 'smart casual' thing is being completely blown out of proportion. It's not like Christian Fraser is going to go on air with a tank-top and flip-flops. Rather, I think it's just a statement of where current trends are: hybrid working, a more relaxed approach to office etiquette, and generally being a bit less stuffy.

Plus, if we're now going to be having TV lighting installed in the Newsroom, it's going to get quite hot in there...

Seriously though, I do think there is something about seeing journalists present stories which don't appear to made up to the nines. The article rather gave me an impression that Lyse Doucet had been reporting from a war-zone in a ball-gown and this marked some great change; it isn't.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 10:32 AM)Matrix Wrote:  To be honest, I think the 'smart casual' thing is being completely blown out of proportion. It's not like Christian Fraser is going to go on air with a tank-top and flip-flops. Rather, I think it's just a statement of where current trends are: hybrid working, a more relaxed approach to office etiquette, and generally being a bit less stuffy.

Plus, if we're now going to be having TV lighting installed in the Newsroom, it's going to get quite hot in there...

Seriously though, I do think there is something about seeing journalists present stories which don't appear to made up to the nines. The article rather gave me an impression that Lyse Doucet had been reporting from a war-zone in a ball-gown and this marked some great change; it isn't.
Split screen with Christian in shorts and flip flops, and Lyse in a ball gown. Someone make it happen Wink

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 12:03 PM)Chud Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 10:32 AM)Matrix Wrote:  To be honest, I think the 'smart casual' thing is being completely blown out of proportion. It's not like Christian Fraser is going to go on air with a tank-top and flip-flops. Rather, I think it's just a statement of where current trends are: hybrid working, a more relaxed approach to office etiquette, and generally being a bit less stuffy.

Split screen with Christian in shorts and flip flops, and Lyse in a ball gown. Someone make it happen Wink
I've come over all Morecambe and Wise.  Big Grin

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - James2001 - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 01:19 PM)Worzel Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 12:03 PM)Chud Wrote:  Split screen with Christian in shorts and flip flops, and Lyse in a ball gown. Someone make it happen Wink
I've come over all Morecambe and Wise.  Big Grin

Oooh matron

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 07:21 AM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  BBC World overnights appear to be used as a training ground for newer faces (not new to broadcasting, but new to global newscasting for extended periods).

Rich Preston is the only consistent face during the slot, which he formerly shared with David Eades.

That does seem to be the case, although Rich Preston is more than capable of being allowed on in UK daytime or evenings now.

But this also begs the question, where will future young reporters & presenters get this crucial presenting experience in future if overnights will be coming from Singapore & Washington?

I remember both Martine Croxall and Karin Giannone started out on News 24 & World overnights in the early to mid-2000s.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 03:04 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I remember both Martine Croxall and Karin Giannone started out on News 24 & World overnights in the early to mid-2000s.
That’s right! They and Alastair Yates used to share that shift between the three of them. Always thought it was a shame Alastair didn’t get a higher profile slot.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 03:33 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 03:04 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I remember both Martine Croxall and Karin Giannone started out on News 24 & World overnights in the early to mid-2000s.
That’s right! They and Alastair Yates used to share that shift between the three of them. Always thought it was a shame Alastair didn’t get a higher profile slot.

Wasn't Heather McCarthy also a regular around that time?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - AaronLancs - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 04:21 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 03:33 PM)Kojak Wrote:  That’s right! They and Alastair Yates used to share that shift between the three of them. Always thought it was a shame Alastair didn’t get a higher profile slot.

Wasn't Heather McCarthy also a regular around that time?

I think so but would need to her face. From my memory of this time. A couple of names to throw into the hat:
Janet Barrie
Clarence Mitchell