Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 11:09 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Apologies, I didn't mean for this to turn into a nostalgia thread when I mentioned previous overnight anchors.
(James Dagwell was another young overnight anchor in the late 2000s, he usually did BBC Three news updates and entertainment news).

But my point stands - where are anchors of the future going to get vital on-air experience when overnights are from Washington & Singapore?

Presumably weekends will now become the training ground - especially if weekend overnights are still from London.
Maybe @MODS can move this bunch of messgaes to the Nostalgia thread to appease us who like Nostalgia?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 22-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 08:22 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  If I were considering this smart casual policy for the newsreaders at BBC News. I think it would be a good idea to bring it back again.

But they would need to be sensible in how to apply this policy to their news presenters and reporters.

When we are looking at a major ceremonial event going ahead in the UK this year like the official coronation of King Charles III in May; I  don't think the BBC would be allowed to bring in a smart casual look for that day.

They would have to wear a full suit & tie for that event alongside the likes of Sky, ITV and Channel 4 News. Those sort of rules about strict dress code would come from Buckingham Palace.

The strict black dress code which was there for the Queen's Funeral last year would still be kept in place for other funerals in the Royal Family.

A similar position would be adopted from Westminister or Downing St when a former UK PM is no longer with us.
I believe you’ve just hit upon the real reason why a “formal look” is desirable on a rolling news channel. At quite literally any moment, serious sombre or tragic news could break on-air. On a rolling channel, the presenter isn’t going to necessarily have time to quickly change to a more appropriate outfit, and it would be inappropriate and insensitive to be reporting on a disaster in a casual style. 

This is presumably why even programmes such as Breakfast have presenters in formal clothes. Also, the suggestion in the thread that women are allowed to wear pretty much whatever while men are stuck with a full suit and tie currently is clearly not what happens in reality - all the women presenters wear clothes which look smart, but just not necessarily a dress every day. Plenty of men also wear something other than suit, tie and cuff-links (although, mentioning Rich Preston, I’ve noticed that he never dresses down and does look very smart every time he is on).

One man’s stuffy and outdated is another’s smart and authoritative, although perhaps this new downgrade in standards is going to mirror the downgrade in service in terms of varied content coverage and editorial relevance, once the merged channel launches, so could be said to be appropriate (that was a joke)!

“Experiments” in this area before, such as the Catch-up, have not been a success in my opinion. The presenters are far too casual (and yes, I am firmly in the target age group). It is regrettable that people think “dress like the audience” is a trend to follow, there is no need for it and it is not appropriate in my view.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 22-02-2023

Sally Bundock risked it big style this morning

https://twitter.com/sallybundockbbc/status/1628268985522216962?s=46&t=dI77d0bj2Ai0X4ce_vEfgA 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Alf Stewart - 22-02-2023

She's just embracing the new 'casual' look with gusto!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 22-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 06:02 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(20-02-2023, 12:17 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I just can’t get my head around posters here thinking that something should continue to be funded at levels that don’t reflect its value. The fact is that people consume news differently to how they did 15 years ago. I really think it needs to be understood that the fondness (for want of a better word) that some have here for the news channel is massively out of step with the wider public, and focusing its resources in the right places (app, online, social media, podcasts) is 100% the right thing for the BBC to do.

They could plough millions into the news channel, it still wouldn’t change habits which are increasingly moving away from linear channels for news consumption.

Never thought I’d be quoting Hairspray here, but “you can fight it, or you can rock out to it.” In other words - embrace where things are going rather than trying to cling onto where they were.

I think the issue is how the BBC has approached it and how they are selling it - they're clearly holding on to the linear channel and running a significantly downgraded version of the UK news channel based on a BBC World simulcast, rather than looking at the picture as a whole and building what is arguably needed for today.    I'd argue they should have been looking more at the CBSN model to move forward.

What is interesting is they're now talking about a potential red button service to accompany it - I think it'll likely be pop-up iPlayer streams rather than anything along the lines of the BBC News Multiscreen or previous Connected TV app, but also suggests they are perhaps looking at alternatives to going into UK breaking news mode on the channel too.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/bbc-news-promises-innovation-as-concerns-remain-over-merger/ 

That could be a clever move from BBC News - putting the UK breaking news opt-out via a red button sending you to an iPlayer stream, rather than the UK broadcast changing.

This way they could monitor how much interest there is, and work out the cost per button push!

If a major UK story breaks and very few people press red to watch the coverage, then they know to scale it back. However if every time UK viewers are given the opportunity to watch the break away service tens of thousands choose to view, then they know it’s worth expanding the offering.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Matrix - 22-02-2023

(22-02-2023, 11:41 AM)Moz Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 06:02 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think the issue is how the BBC has approached it and how they are selling it - they're clearly holding on to the linear channel and running a significantly downgraded version of the UK news channel based on a BBC World simulcast, rather than looking at the picture as a whole and building what is arguably needed for today.    I'd argue they should have been looking more at the CBSN model to move forward.

What is interesting is they're now talking about a potential red button service to accompany it - I think it'll likely be pop-up iPlayer streams rather than anything along the lines of the BBC News Multiscreen or previous Connected TV app, but also suggests they are perhaps looking at alternatives to going into UK breaking news mode on the channel too.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/bbc-news-promises-innovation-as-concerns-remain-over-merger/ 

That could be a clever move from BBC News - putting the UK breaking news opt-out via a red button sending you to an iPlayer stream, rather than the UK broadcast changing.

This way they could monitor how much interest there is, and work out the cost per button push!

If a major UK story breaks and very few people press red to watch the coverage, then they know to scale it back. However if every time UK viewers are given the opportunity to watch the break away service tens of thousands choose to view, then they know it’s worth expanding the offering.
This is assuming a degree of digital literacy (and connected devices), though. 

I suspect the hard truth here is that the 'UK focus' aspect will quietly be shelved after some clunky and rather cumbersome opt outs. In its place, the BBC focus on new media will come into its own and the 'expensive, hotel traveller looking for a summary' will continue on this channel.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - JamesWorldNews - 22-02-2023

Jake Lynch.
George Eykyn
Peter Dobbie
King Mike Embley

Other overnighters!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Matrix - 22-02-2023

(22-02-2023, 11:56 AM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Jake Lynch.
George Eykyn
Peter Dobbie
King Mike Embley

Other overnighters!

Did Chris Eakin wiggle into an overnight slot? I know his brother, Clive, spent a while as a producer on overnights before heading off to the Midlands (if memory serves) to handle regional sports.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 22-02-2023

(22-02-2023, 11:41 AM)Moz Wrote:  That could be a clever move from BBC News - putting the UK breaking news opt-out via a red button sending you to an iPlayer stream, rather than the UK broadcast changing.

I know what service I would've chosen on Sunday afternoon just gone.

If the UK-opt of the new channel was put entirely on red button / iPlayer, and the full international version of the channel was broadcast on Sky, Virgin, Freeview & Freesat (minus Breakfast & Nicky Campbell in the mornings) that would be an interesting experiment to see which service got the most viewers & interest.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stockland Hillman - 22-02-2023

(22-02-2023, 12:02 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(22-02-2023, 11:41 AM)Moz Wrote:  That could be a clever move from BBC News - putting the UK breaking news opt-out via a red button sending you to an iPlayer stream, rather than the UK broadcast changing.

I know what service I would've chosen on Sunday afternoon just gone.

If the UK-opt of the new channel was put entirely on red button / iPlayer, and the full international version of the channel was broadcast on Sky, Virgin, Freeview & Freesat (minus Breakfast & Nicky Campbell in the mornings) that would be an interesting experiment to see which service got the most viewers & interest.
It would tell us nothing.  Add  no relevant facts, but give an excuse for more deceptive BBC PR that uses the lack of use of a UK red button stream to justify futher cuts

It's hard enough to get people to follow from linear BBC ONE to BBC TWO , red button and On demand services are used by a fraction of the audience of linear broadcast, even total SVOD AVOD and streamed OTT viewing are still much smaller than broadcast.